Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

To Fly. To Serve (notice) [data protection breach]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

To Fly. To Serve (notice) [data protection breach]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2017, 10:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by inasmuchas

It was only upon closer inspection of the voucher that I noticed it had the first name and surname of a passenger,
It wasn't Christopher Wilkinson by any chance?
golfmad and Calchas like this.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, QF LTG
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
I assumed the vouchers were loaded at LHR as it was known the catering wasn’t?
The crew were handed the vouchers by the ground staff at Edinburgh, so they were simply handed to passengers as we disembarked.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, QF LTG
Originally Posted by HIDDY
It wasn't Christopher Wilkinson by any chance?
It wasn't. I won't publish the name here, as out of curiosity / disbelief I was able to access their booking via MMB on ba.com.

As I mentioned in my original post, I don't know if all passengers were given the same voucher with this particular customer's details, or if each voucher was different. To be honest, I don't know which scenario is worse.
HIDDY, Calchas and Aeschylus like this.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by Jed
Assuming that there hadn't already been a riot on board regarding the lack of catering, totally unnecessary of the captain to presume that his/her passengers would act like hooligans on board. That captain needs to reflect on their customer service delivery during their next appraisal.
The captain isn't in a customer facing role. They're the most important people on the plane and they know it. Nobody is going to slap their wrists
Old Nov 4, 2017, 12:50 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
If you really wanted to get uptight about it , you could sue as it is pretty obvious your personal data was handed out to someone else. Let's hope none of those frequent flyer account scammers from China, who convert your points into hotels trips were onboard - they would of not believed their luck ! However I wouldn't go that far , but would complain and keep BA's reply to gage how serious they take it then attach it to the information commissioner to help provide more of a case that BA don't care or/and hardly acknowledge the incident that occurred.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Like any company indeed EU after May 2018, data protection will be an even bigger issue.

Breaches can lead to big fines under GDPR.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Jed
Assuming that there hadn't already been a riot on board regarding the lack of catering, totally unnecessary of the captain to presume that his/her passengers would act like hooligans on board. That captain needs to reflect on their customer service delivery during their next appraisal.
We don't know all the circumstances that led to the announcement. Something could have happened that the OP did not see / hear so I think it is unfair to jump on the captain when we don't know the circumstances. I don't think he would have said anything unless something had happened and the CC raised it with him.

Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
Like any company indeed EU after May 2018, data protection will be an even bigger issue.

Breaches can lead to big fines under GDPR.
Fines are already pretty big. One organisation I worked for was fined £90,000 for sending personal data to an incorrect address. The magnitude was more in relation to them not using the correct address after being told about the error each time it happened (45 in total)

Another I know about was fined double that for sending an email to 'all' rather than as 'bcc'. The magnitude was more in relation to the nature of the subject of the email than the number of people affected.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 2:40 pm
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by switch007
The captain isn't in a customer facing role. They're the most important people on the plane and they know it. Nobody is going to slap their wrists
Actually, the captain IS in a customer facing role and not immune from treating customers with respect. BA acknowledges this in the surveys that they send out to customers, which ask about interaction had with BA pilots (ranging from announcements to face to face interactions on boarding, deplaning and in the cabin). I'm a fan of BA pilots as the majority have been brilliant with us, especially with our children. It was disappointing to read of this rather threatening announcement by the captain, on the assumption (as I previously stated) that there had not been preceding passenger aggression regarding the lack of catering.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 3:26 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
So I was on the later BA1454 and thought that what I experienced would be a one off but obviously not.

An hour and a half late but due to fog earlier so I can forgive that! But no catering (apparently the fogs fault) no toilets until we passed through 15000 ft and overhead locker broken so I/seat mate couldn’t put bags in (above 1D&F).

We got a £10 voucher which had to be used that day - relatively useless on a commuter flight where folks just want to get home,especially when late but I appreciated the gesture.

I disagree with an earlier CWS comment - on my flight there was a conscious decision made a while before our flight to depart withought catering - well that is what we were told by both the boarding ground staff and then the crew.

It was one of the worst flights north I have taken but the crew tried hard despite some crap through at them.

Aks120
rapidex and Calchas like this.

Last edited by aks120; Nov 4, 2017 at 3:41 pm
Old Nov 4, 2017, 3:35 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Worst case scenario for a fine under GDPR is $20m or 4% of global turnover, whichever is bigger.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 4:02 pm

BA has a duty to report itself to the ICO after receiving inasmuchas's complaint, as the data breach will involve a large number of people. The OP ought to report it to the ICO her/himself as well, as in my experience companies and organisations are often reluctant to self report.

Also, BA has a duty to inform the person whose data they gave to the OP that there had been a data breach.

Whether or not the breach was deliberate is immaterial.
KeaneJohn and Calchas like this.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 4:03 pm

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by aks120
So I was on the later BA1454 and thought that what I experienced would be a one off but obviously not.

An hour and a half late but due to fog earlier so I can forgive that! But no catering (apparently the fogs fault) no toilets until we passed through 15000 ft and overhead locker broken so I/seat mate couldn’t put bags in (above 1D&F).

We got a £10 voucher which had to be used that day - relatively useless on a commuter flight where folks just want to get home,especially when late but I appreciated the gesture.

I disagree with an earlier CWS comment - on my flight there was a conscious decision made a while before our flight to depart withought catering - well that is what we were told by both the boarding ground staff and then the crew.

It was one of the worst flights north I have taken but the crew tried hard despite some crap through at them.

Aks120
couldn't they just offer some M&S items to CE passengers from what was left from previous flights? I mean I am sure BA could pay Tourvest for what has been given away for free.

I think that BA has cut corners so much that any disruption can affect its service in all possible ways including catering and service recovery. A bit sad I have to say.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 5:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Originally Posted by BA6948
couldn't they just offer some M&S items to CE passengers from what was left from previous flights? I mean I am sure BA could pay Tourvest for what has been given away for free.

I think that BA has cut corners so much that any disruption can affect its service in all possible ways including catering and service recovery. A bit sad I have to say.
Absolutely but that catering recovery would require BA thinking outside the box and alas they are not particularly good at doing that. They are worse than any LCC on examples citied. Some of these BC fares to EDI / GLA are also very expensive...well in my book they are. The token gesture offered is an insult.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 5:37 pm

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

As I say it isn't great but it probably represents what the staff at EDI could have done to help quickly, rather than some terrible and deliberate data breach.
Don't usually disagree with you mate but this is a massive data breach, individual details which can identify a person have been passed to someone else who has no reason to have them.

/To the op; Please report your concerns to BA and then report it to the information commissioner, the only way BA will listen is with a hit in the pocket.
HilFly and KeaneJohn like this.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 8:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by inasmuchas
It wasn't. I won't publish the name here, as out of curiosity / disbelief I was able to access their booking via MMB on ba.com.
You actually went and accessed another person's booking on MMB? You complain here about data breaches but then actively go and use someone else's data to do the one thing that you are worrying about. I am shocked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.