Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BAEC/AVIS Car Hire

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2017, 5:44 am

Programs: BA Silver, A* Gold (Avianca Brazil)
Insurance4carhire are absolutely fine - they paid out the cost of a new windscreen (EUR 600) that AVIS Germany tried to impose on my partner when he pointed out that there was a small chip.

Equally why would a pay a car hire company £22 to insure a loss of £1000? I pay £300 per year to insure my care with an £800 excess...

I self insured for years - but for £60 the policy covers a multitude of possibilities. Although the maximum payout in one year is limited to £6500
Old Nov 2, 2017, 7:24 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Also bear in mind that the Avis business model (at least in Spain, where I have rented frequently) does not seem to feature some of the price gouging scams that their competitors engage in - looking for damage that is not there, trying to charge again for damage that was there. They seem to have a sensible approach to those issues, which does impact to an extent on the need for a top quality backup for the excess.

If anyone is interested in getting their Avis rentals at a very low rate have a look at a thread that I started in the Avis forum on point of sale (it works also for Budget): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis...nce-price.html One can get the low prices and still get the BAEC benefits ^
Old Nov 2, 2017, 9:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by offshore_bob
The hire car had Washington plates, suitcases were visible in the boot as we were driving up to Tahoe and hire car companies don't seem to provide the boot coverings anymore (why is that??). They took my backpack which was hidden under a coat and hoody on the back seat. So it was obvious there was possibly stuff to readily steal from the car.

We were told we were one of 5 cars broken into that day at that mall, all tourists, and the Oakland Avis crew knew exactly where were we'd come from with a smashed back window as they said they said they'd seen it a few times from that area. No one thought to tell us when picking up the car tho!
Sad to hear. I am in Alameda, where the running joke used to be "Police is only out for two things, drunks and speeders". But it has been changing to the point that I am installing cameras around the house now.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by PeacefulWaters
I think you're nuts. But each to his own ...
I have disposable income and I am somewhat shorter on time. Particularly precious time spent having fun with my family. So it is very much a conscious decision. I am fully aware it may be inefficient and entirely comfortable with that.

I have been in the other situation before and seen someone in my holiday party spend 3 days out of 7 going round the houses trying to get some repairs / replacement vehicle organised. No interest in that scenario whatsoever. And doubly so in Africa, triply so if my baby son is part of the holiday. Who needs the hassle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.