Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LON-MAD dilemma. Y or J? Help me choose :-)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LON-MAD dilemma. Y or J? Help me choose :-)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2017, 3:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Well your first line says you're 'tempted by the £80 fare', which suggests the fare is somewhat important to you.

Personally I'd fly economy and spend it all in tapas bars, which I'm quite sure will give you more enjoyment! You can buy a hell of a lot of tapas and Rioja for that, a considerably nicer hotel, etc..

I wouldn't spend money for the two hour flight that leaves you with less for what matters, the holiday! (Bloody love Madrid by the way).

Edited: I like Pete's idea of drawing out the hard cash and looking at it. I imagine once I'd arrived I'd be pretty annoyed if I'd spent that on a slightly better flight seat rather than the gastronomic delights of Madrid.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Thank you all for your comments. I've enjoyed reading your replies this afternoon. It's interesting how many different perspectives you've offered!

We've just booked. Outbound on the A340 and inbound on the 777.

In Economy for £105 each.

Deciding factors:
  • We don't need champagne and food on the flight, we can have them in the lounge
  • We can seat on duo seats on the A340, which is nice
  • We can save some money which we can spend on other things on that trip

Someone mentioned it happens that BA opens up the WTP cabin to GCH. Do you know if it happens often and only if WT is overbooked?

Any reports of IB opening up their premium economy cabin?

Finally, do you think that theoretical seating will increase our chances of an empty middle seat on the 777?
HIDDY likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

An update.

Following @corporate-wage-slave’s advice, I called to get a quote on how much it would be to upgrade to ‘N’ each segment. The cheapest was the inbound, for £15 per person.

Unfortunately, they said that in order to be able to wave the change fee because of the 24 hrs grace period, the ticket would have to go to the ticketing team for reissue. (Is this correct?) It can take up to 72 hours to be reticketed.

This poses a risk in terms of Avios upgrade availability, but there are at least 9 seats in CE on that flight.

I hope it’ll be a good use of £ and Avios, but it’ll be nice to lie down after a boosy Sunday lunch in Madrid.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 1:37 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ringingup
Unfortunately, they said that in order to be able to wave the change fee because of the 24 hrs grace period, the ticket would have to go to the ticketing team for reissue. (Is this correct?) It can take up to 72 hours to be reticketed.
I believe this is correct, hopefully it will be done speedily and the CE availability will be there. However what you could try is to do the upgrade tomorrow, if it doesn't work ring up and see if they will do it anyway. Just watch the charge, it shouldn't be much more than a tenner to go CE from this point, the Avios is likely to be correctly calculated.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I believe this is correct, hopefully it will be done speedily and the CE availability will be there. However what you could try is to do the upgrade tomorrow, if it doesn't work ring up and see if they will do it anyway. Just watch the charge, it shouldn't be much more than a tenner to go CE from this point, the Avios is likely to be correctly calculated.
I’ve just landed in VNO and checked MyFlights. The fare already appears as N, so I may try my luck with the Avios upgrade tonight or tomorrow!
Old Nov 1, 2017, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by Greenpen
Please clean your shoes before posting pictures like this!

There have been long discussions on other threads about feet, naked or otherwise, and shoes so take note.
Just because you have never flown in business class please don't be rude.
One day you will get there (if you leave your attitude behind)

Ps.: if we meet I would be happy to clean your mouth though.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

I’ve just called to upgrade. Upgrade was possibile even if the reservation hasn’t been reticketed yet. 6,250 Avios per person as expected, but no additional tax to pay!
Old Nov 2, 2017, 12:58 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ringingup
I’ve just called to upgrade. Upgrade was possibile even if the reservation hasn’t been reticketed yet. 6,250 Avios per person as expected, but no additional tax to pay!
Ah yes congratulations, you were cleverer than you thought! Because the one way MAD-LHR RFS is cheaper than the usual RFS, in that direction only it is a very cost effective upgrade from ET to CE. I think you got yourself a bargain there, and I hope you enjoy the CW seat. On the way back you can also check in 2 bags too. However, just keep an eye on the ticketing there: you should get an email, but if you don't see a ticket number (e.g. on the BA App/More flight details screen) then 48 hours before departure you need to call again.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pablol
I'm in a car to MAD right now and about to fly on the 777. It's my favourite short haul flight on Europe. Late afternoon power nap.
Now it’s time to choose the seat! I haven’t flown CW on a 777 in ages!
Old Nov 3, 2017, 10:16 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Fwiw I flew the A340 back last week. Couldn't get an AUP and the straight conversion price was silly to I stayed in my Y window seat. Hadn't flown IB metal in a while, and only once that A340 (which was a shocking evening flight for other reasons). I have to say it was pretty ok.

I am late year TP building at the moment so for the usual £110 ish'd have taken the J seat (as then I'll be precisely one more longhaul J from sorting the GC again) but got time yet so no drama. It was a perfectly adequate flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.