The Oncologist Stops Me Flying!

Old Oct 30, 2017, 11:39 am
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
The Oncologist Stops Me Flying!

I've had a ball this year. Lots of short haul flights on budget airlines. Priority Pass lounge access. I discovered Ljublana which is a magnificent place.

Flew first class when cashing in the Avios. After all you can't take them with you. Concorde room. Boston Lounge. Treats for me.

I regained Silver thanks to Iberia and a 1,300 business class route to Chile. Oh, and LATAM getting me to Easter Island.

My first ever upgrade at the gate from LHR to LAS. More exciting than the mediocre service but there are worse things to worry about.

And just as I'm pondering my Ashes trip, with already booked Qatar flights out of Helsinki, enjoying posh seats on A380, A330 and A789, the bullet hits.

My previous cancer drug failed me. My new one is untested. Medical advice is not to travel. I could ignore, but I know in truth that I'm weak. The initial effects of the new drug tire me. The oncologist cites infection risk, drug failure risk, leg break risk (it started in the lung but it's got the bones) as reasons not to travel.

So, I'm stuck with BT sport, 120,000 Avios I can't fly with and Silver status that I can't use.

While it would be something of a shock if I'm still here for the next Ashes tour, there are new treatments in development.

Regardless, thanks to those who've helped make posh seat flying possible for me. You've contributed to a fun year despite the diagnosis and prognosis.

https://davestringertravels.com/2017...r-nine-months/
SK, Roger, SanDiego1K and 55 others like this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold
Wow... somewhat lost for words but I'm sure I won't be the only one here to wish you all the very best with your treatment.
LUFTY likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 11:53 am

I really hope you get to see the next Ashes tour, PW.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 12:05 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Ah, so sorry to read this. But glad you've done the year up til now at full throttle, that is the best way of showing the middle finger to cancer.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 12:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Fingers crossed the new medication does the trick PW and you get to see the Ashes. All the very best to you
Old Oct 30, 2017, 12:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze, LH M&M
Sorry to read this PW. Hope everything goes well with your treatment, hit that cancer for 6.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by rosswill
Wow... somewhat lost for words but I'm sure I won't be the only one here to wish you all the very best with your treatment.
^+1. I really hope all goes well for OP. This situation puts so many of the threads here in their proper context. I'm as guilty as anyone of over-reacting sometimes to things such as overcooked steak on BA; it's good to be reminded sometimes that life can throw much more important challenges at us than the things we discuss here.
Roger, Snoopy, psollitt and 10 others like this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC Gold, IC Plat Amb, Accor Gold
Very best wishes.
I have a friend with the same diagnosis and currently stable with their first 'nib'. I was very lucky to be able to take them on their first premium cabin trip with a weekend safari in South Africa in F using a fist full of Avios and a 2-4-1.
Hoping the new drug settles to have more desired effect and less unwanted. As you say there is more in the pipeline and hoping that one does the trick.
PeacefulWaters likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by CCayley
^+1. I really hope all goes well for OP. This situation puts so many of the threads here in their proper context. I'm as guilty as anyone of over-reacting sometimes to things such as overcooked steak on BA; it's good to be reminded sometimes that life can throw much more important challenges at us than the things we discuss here.
Just about sums it up ^ All the best OP
sarahuk likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Bad news on so many levels.

Best wishes, PeacefulWaters. I have several family and friends in the same sort of situation, without the flying aspect added.
Roger likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
This sounds terrible but I find it heartening the positive spin you put on it. After all, they say it's less about how long you were here than what you did while you were here.

Fight it please, I would be delighted to read your 2021 trip report!
Old Oct 30, 2017, 1:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Gold
That's terrible news, and I hope the newer treatments will be around for you so that after we mop up the Australians during this series, you can see the next one in person over here. It will save you that hellish 24-hour flight.

The subject of serious illness doesn't come up here much, as we're too busy complaining about flowers. There are practicalities, though - the ones you have mentioned, and travel insurance is another. It doesn't take much to get you grounded.

So sit back, crack a tinny or two for the Tests, and I hope you feel better soon.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 1:06 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Thanks for posting this PeacefulWaters, indeed it does put into stark relief some of the frankly trivial points we raise here some of the time. There again I bet you have found some of it quite entertaining!

From what little I know about you, I don't think the sympathy card is going to cut much ice, I suspect that's not part of your character, though doubtless there are bad days as well as good. But I can hope and pray your good days are the ones worth having, as you have managed to do so well, at least to this point. I very much hope that will continue, somehow or other: Missing the Ashes must be a blow, though maybe you can park the hope that something will happen, who knows. Maybe there is another Plan B that will work.

In the mean time, we are all privileged to live in an amazing and beautiful world. I hope your journey to see a few more corners will resume in earnest before too long. If you liked Ljublana, I hope you get to try Zagreb and Bratislava at some point. I guess none of us can see all of it, but it is hope
and perhaps faith that makes things possible.
SK, Roger, ANstar and 13 others like this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 1:29 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
I for one am impressed with the determination you have shown. They say that a positive I've attitude helps. There are lots of clever things happening in oncology at the moment, I really hope you get to benefit. All the best and hope at least you can (safely) get in some cheeky SH RFS trips.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 2:00 pm

Having registered and festered for a while I feel shamed into penning my first post now.

I'm off to Boston shortly via the CCR courtesy of an Avios F (first one) - that's how I found you - so Tallinn-tier-point runs and toast-rack-moans aside, I wish you many Ashes series to come.
ANstar likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.