Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

I feel slightly ashamed [Another QR>BA thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I feel slightly ashamed [Another QR>BA thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2017, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by OldFruity
Although slightly off thread and whilst we are comparing some elements of BA v QR the following pics are of a desert from BA F and a desert from QR J. Spot the difference ,bearing in mind that we eat with our eyes first. . The mains from both flights were on a par IMO.
QR dessert comes with a bear?
Old Oct 21, 2017, 4:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG & Accor Plat...
I’m yet to travel on a QR aircraft where interior panels are being held in place with gaffer tape. Unlike the BA747 out of SFO on Thursday, a touch which I found added to the aspirational “we will be a top 10 airline within the next 5 years” ambience down the back in Y. Whatever you reckon, Willie.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 5:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LostAntipod
I’m yet to travel on a QR aircraft where interior panels are being held in place with gaffer tape. Unlike the BA747 out of SFO on Thursday, a touch which I found added to the aspirational “we will be a top 10 airline within the next 5 years” ambience down the back in Y. Whatever you reckon, Willie.
QR is a state run toy subsidised to the tune of millions/billions of dollars every year. Which is why such comparisons should be taken with a pinch of salt.

The question that needs to be asked is why do QR not offer a better reward programme if they're such a good airline?

Last edited by HIDDY; Oct 21, 2017 at 5:26 pm
Old Oct 21, 2017, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by HIDDY
The question that needs to be asked is why do QR not offer a better reward programme if they're such a good airline?
Why does it need to be asked? I’ll admit I’m not getting the logic, if anything, perhaps a really great airline would not need an ffp at all to get high yield pax anyway?
Old Oct 21, 2017, 6:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, A3*G
Originally Posted by PETER01
Well, If I am on the board then surely I am allowed to post an opinion as we all are with our own views. What's wrong with that?

I've never experienced 'awfulness', waited sometimes even at Fast Track when I was Silver or had any real issues connecting from EDI to LHR, very quick at flight connections but I'd still choose EDI-LHR-Far East with BA than QR EDI-DOH-Far East. I can sleep better on the longer sectors.

I sometimes wonder if there is another/parallel BA or T5 etc as overall some of the things which are posted on here it's one I really don't recognise.
Dear Peter01/Padmeister etc.

There is a parallel universe and whether you like it or not, it comes down to the combination of your financial (which you felt obliged to identify by letting everyone know that you were a leisure self-paying traveler), social and cultural capital (of which we know little). Some people prefer comfy and familiar and simple and filling ‘spaghetti bolognese’ (basic - BA economy, or finest - BA First), others will go for ‘scallops with pea fricasse’. For more details on various types of capital see Bourdieu’s ‘The Forms of Capital’ (1985)

xx
Old Oct 21, 2017, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Why does it need to be asked?
I ask because I'm curious why so many QR fliers, even those who aren't UK based, use BAEC as their main reward programme. Seems to go against the norm. Maybe being a state run airline has something to do with that?
Old Oct 21, 2017, 7:01 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by rossmacd
I'm sure the usuals will be along very soon to tell you that you are in fact wrong, or QR's safety performance is not to their liking, or their cabin crew are robots

But I agree with every point you make. CW is only good for very short overnights, with no service required. There are much better alternatives almost everywhere, not just QR.
Does this make their opinion less valid? Next you'll be calling them apologists

There are valid opinions on both sides.
PETER01 and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 7:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
deleted

Last edited by Blueboys999; Oct 21, 2017 at 8:26 pm
Old Oct 21, 2017, 8:36 pm

Have you checked it as a scheme?

I just did a cursory check for business award LHR-DOH and it seems that QR charges 43,000 points vs BA charges of 50,000 or 60,000 avios

Upgrading from economy to business seems to cost 25,500->30,000 on QR with BA charging 20,000-24,000 to upgrade from Premium Economy to business and 18,000-20,000 for business to 1st

Earning wise, base earning on QR for the journey is 811 to 9,732 depending on class of travel whilst BA it is 813 to 9759 depending on class of travel

Doesn't seem that QR's scheme from just a quick look is worse than BA's
Old Oct 21, 2017, 9:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by richardwft
It isn't. You just have poor knowledge of the weaknesses of the BA long haul J seat. I agree with Dennis https://youtu.be/LGCkoapvXT8
I don't have poor knowledge at all and I don't need to be following your orders and watching you tube videos; it won't change my mind or my opinion! If I was to take several people on an aircraft and show them the WTP seat and show them a CW seat and say you can sit in either of these what is your choice? I am sure in a heartbeat every person would choose CW except you!
Old Oct 21, 2017, 9:22 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Suggest this should be asked in the QR forum. @:-)
Old Oct 22, 2017, 12:26 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ozon78
Dear Peter01/Padmeister etc.

There is a parallel universe and whether you like it or not, it comes down to the combination of your financial (which you felt obliged to identify by letting everyone know that you were a leisure self-paying traveler), social and cultural capital (of which we know little). Some people prefer comfy and familiar and simple and filling ‘spaghetti bolognese’ (basic - BA economy, or finest - BA First), others will go for ‘scallops with pea fricasse’. For more details on various types of capital see Bourdieu’s ‘The Forms of Capital’ (1985)

xx
Hun, I know PETER01 quite well, he's nearly my next door neighbour, and I promise you that you really could not be further from the truth. And this forum, in my humble experience as a failed economist and occasional FT Do participant, is probably the furthest place removed from Bordieu's feel for the game. It's not that complicated: we just like different things.

xxx
DYKWIA, PETER01 and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 12:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Padmeister
I don't have poor knowledge at all and I don't need to be following your orders and watching you tube videos; it won't change my mind or my opinion! If I was to take several people on an aircraft and show them the WTP seat and show them a CW seat and say you can sit in either of these what is your choice? I am sure in a heartbeat every person would choose CW.....
You seem to be stuck with if it's more expensive it's always better and if numbers of people choose something then that's a sound endorsement.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 1:01 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
I don't like that much the CW seat, but it's lie flat with a lot of legroom in seat mode. WT+ doesn't come even close.

That said, as I fly for leisure and I like a good experience on board, I try to avoid as much as possible the old 747 and the 777s on BA unless it's possible to UUA to F.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 1:07 am

I ask because I'm curious why so many QR fliers, even those who aren't UK based, use BAEC as their main reward programme.
The easiest place to find QR fliers is in the QR forum. Why don't you tootle over there and ask?

I told you this thread should have been moved to the QR forum. Now we'll be inundated with even more (preferred airline) v BA comparison threads.

Seriously though, it's getting beyond a joke.
Well you knew what the thread was about, and you are not forced to keep reading it.
PleasureFlyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.