Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Are Fees/ Taxes really nearly 1000GBP on a J TATL these days

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2017, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue

Just search for a BA reward for the first time in a year or so and was surprised to see Fees etc.. nearly touching a grand.

Is this truly the case now, or am I at the mercy of a GBP/USD indicator snafu (searching BOS-LHR return)? If so they're definitely trying to add a little more value to UUAs again!
Old Oct 16, 2017, 5:33 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
For a J return BOS-LHR I see taxes/fees/charges of:

Customs User Fee - USA USD 5.50
Transportation Tax(Departure) - USA USD 18.00
Transportation Tax(Arrival) - USA USD 18.00
Animal & Plant Health User Fee (Aphis) - USA USD 3.96
Immigration User Fee - USA USD 7.00
Passenger Civil Aviation Security Service Fee - USA USD 5.60
Air Passenger Duty - United Kingdom USD 198.48
Passenger Service Charge - United Kingdom USD 54.87
Passenger Facility Charge USD 4.50
Carrier imposed charge USD 956.00

Total - USD 1,271.91
Old Oct 16, 2017, 5:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Usually around £360 LHR-JFK and £398 JFK-LHR when I've looked at J/F redemptions.

I sometimes fly DUB-LHR-JFK as the taxes/fees/charges are around £170 although a few more Avios involved and more time.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 5:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
I swear it was only circa 6-700 or so just last year.

Interestingly, a one-way LHR-BOS only comes in at 367 GBP?! Which I assume means theyre charging 600 odd for the BOS-LHR sector which makes no sense, esp APD wise
Old Oct 16, 2017, 5:39 am

As noted in many other threads, if originating in the US it will be cheaper to book two one-ways rather than a return ticket, because YQ is lower ex-UK.

Unfortunately that doesn't help if you're planning to use a Chase 241.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by xenole
Usually around £360 LHR-JFK and £398 JFK-LHR when I've looked at J/F redemptions.

I sometimes fly DUB-LHR-JFK as the taxes/fees/charges are around £170 although a few more Avios involved and more time.
The OP is asking about an exUS booking, and the carrier surcharge is significantly higher than on an exUK->US return.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 5:42 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
deleted

Last edited by ahmetdouas; Nov 10, 2017 at 7:33 am
Old Oct 16, 2017, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
Interestingly, a one-way LHR-BOS only comes in at 367 GBP?! Which I assume means theyre charging 600 odd for the BOS-LHR sector which makes no sense, esp APD wise
Whether you book two one ways or a return you would still pay the same amount of APD (i.e. tax) in the end.

It's the carrier imposed surcharge which BA sets itself that is increased.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 5:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by KARFA
The OP is asking about an exUS booking, and the carrier surcharge is significantly higher than on an exUK->US return.
Thus the reason I mentioned JFK-LHR which is ex-US

I'm flying CX to HKG and then BA back to LHR as I won't pay £400 to get back from the east coast. Sure it blows a load of Avios, but taxes were around £70.

Could be a little bit cheaper getting a positioning flight and flying say ex-YYZ?

Last edited by xenole; Oct 16, 2017 at 5:50 am
Old Oct 16, 2017, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
LOL what on earth is

'Carrier imposed charge USD 956.00'

Is BA taking the mickey here?
Yes they are. It's just money into BA's coffers. Makes you appreciate the overall value of redemptions if you compare to purchasing a ticket outright during a sale (whether that cash ticket is on BA or elsewhere).

If I recall correctly it was first brought in years ago when the cost of oil went upwards. Funnily enough, since oil prices have halved over the past few years, this carrier imposed surcharge has risen. Hilarious
Old Oct 16, 2017, 5:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by London_traveller
Yes they are. It's just money into BA's coffers. Makes you appreciate the overall value of redemptions if you compare to purchasing a ticket outright during a sale (whether that cash ticket is on BA or elsewhere).

If I recall correctly it was first brought in years ago when the cost of oil went upwards. Funnily enough, since oil prices have halved over the past few years, this carrier imposed surcharge has risen. Hilarious
I am not sure how value of redemptions can be appreciated when BA is still charging $956 fare componant on a redemtion ticket
Stez likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 6:01 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by London_traveller
VS had a £999 MAN-BOS fare earlier this year. Cheaper than BAs surcharges on an Avios redemption
ahmetdouas likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
LOL what on earth is

'Carrier imposed charge USD 956.00'

Is BA taking the mickey here?
No they are being quite serious.

It's one reason why people shoud be careful of lumping it in a generic 'taxes' statement when

(a) it is not a tax

(b) it far outweighs the amount of the proper government taxes.
mrow likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I am not sure how value of redemptions can be appreciated when BA is still charging $956 fare componant on a redemtion ticket
I fully appreciate the value of redemptions in this context... in that I appreciate what poor value they can sometimes work out.

Slightly OT but it's made me start to think again about the value of using my BAEC Amex card to build up lots of Avios and a 2-4-1 redemption, when the added costs are so high (and availaibility challenges for when/where I want to fly, the overall standards on BA compared to a few years ago, etc etc etc..).
Old Oct 16, 2017, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
VS had a £999 MAN-BOS fare earlier this year. Cheaper than BAs surcharges on an Avios redemption
No... MAN-BOS return using avios on BA (via LHR of course) has taxes/fees/charges of £546.

BOS-MAN return is nearer the £1000 mark, but then VS wasn't offering BOS-MAN return for £999.

When making redemptions it's always important to consider value versus cash alternatives, but they need to be realistic ones.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.