Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Babybus with economy ticket

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2017, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Babybus with economy ticket

For a quick visit to New York I was looking at some reasonably priced flights (not really interested in the TP this time). My usual ITA routing codes always include "f bc=i". Today I was playing around with the LCY / BA1-2 combo and noticed by accident that these flights can also be priced against economy fares (O). Is this really possible: flying the babybus business class with an economy ticket? Where's the catch?

RTM
LHR,LCY BA1-4 /alliance oneworld
NYC
BA1-4 LHR,LCY /alliance oneworld

Thanks,
Stan
Old Oct 15, 2017, 8:43 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
There is no economy selling class availability on the babybus. If I pull up selling class availability on the babybus this is what is shown:

J9 C9 D9 R9 I9

No first selling classes, no premium economy selling classes, no economy selling classes available.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 8:51 am

Is it possible that you are only seeing the RTM-LCY segment book into O class?

Or perhaps you have the "Only show flights and prices with available seats" box on Matrix unchecked, which might bring up flights that cannot actually be ticketed?
Old Oct 15, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by StanStorby
Where's the catch?
Originally Posted by KARFA
There is no economy selling class availability on the babybus.
The catch being that you therefore cannot actually book these fares on BA1/BA2, as you will soon see if you switch the availability checker on in ITA.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 5:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
J9 C9 D9 R9 I9
Originally Posted by makin'miles
Or perhaps you have the "Only show flights and prices with available seats" box on Matrix unchecked, which might bring up flights that cannot actually be ticketed?
Originally Posted by Globaliser
The catch being that you therefore cannot actually book these fares on BA1/BA2, as you will soon see if you switch the availability checker on in ITA.
^ Thanks for these quick replies: you all hit the nail on the head, I always have the "Only show filghts ..." option unchecked!! Silly mistake in this particular case .

Regards,
Stan
Old Oct 16, 2017, 6:08 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
I managed to price up an economy class itinerary between the EU and the US last year using Google Flights which included the Babybus both ways across the pond (every flight was on a non-prime codeshare). I never in a million years expected it to ticket, but it did! When the time came to check-in, it of course wouldn't let me and I called AA, fully expecting to be re-routed via LHR. But after nearly an hour on hold while the agents figured out what to do, they eventually came back and said, as a gesture of goodwill for the inconvenience, they'd formally upgrade me to business class and allow me to fly as booked.

Those were enjoyable flights! And there were fewer than 15 on board each way too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.