Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Best way to extend avios beyond the 36 months-period

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best way to extend avios beyond the 36 months-period

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2017, 10:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by guv1976
Are you a resident of one of those countries where Rewards for Thoughts surveys are offered? I had a similar lack-of-recent-earnings problem last year that prevented me from booking an RFS. One Rewards for Thoughts survey fixed that -- the points posted within a week, or so.
I tortured myself doing them before being rejected after moving here.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
@EsherFlyer
Thanks, that's really useful and noted for the future. At the moment I'm ok, because I had some activities recently including an award ticket that was rebooked (due to the airberlin bankruptcy) and ended up in a revenue class. But the issue will come up again in a couple of years!
Old Oct 17, 2017, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, LH M&M, EY Guest
Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
Maybe one of the other Chic Outlet's can help?
  • Wertheim Village near Frankfurt
  • Ingolstadt Village near Munich
  • Maasmechelen Village near Cologne and Brussels
  • Bicester Village near London
  • Kildare Village near Dublin
  • La Vallée Village near Paris
  • Fidenza Village between Milan and Bologna
  • La Roca Village near Barcelona
  • Las Rozas Village near Madrid

Thanks for all your replies so far. The Chic Outlets might be the easiest way for me. I have been collecting miles for M&M with my purchases there and did not know that they also award avios. So buying some stuff there and crediting avios for that would do the trick?
Old Oct 27, 2017, 2:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, LH M&M, EY Guest
Another option came to my mind: I still have a lot of Amex Membership Rewards points that I could convert to avios. Would that also be enough to extend the 36-month period?
Old Oct 27, 2017, 2:50 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by Concerto
As I understand it, if you have no activity within a 12 month period then you cannot book RFS (Reward Flight Saver) awards. You have to have at least one previous activity within the last 12 months.
You have to have earned at least one Avios in the previous 12 months for an RFS. Redemption won't do for that.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 3:03 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by nic14691
Another option came to my mind: I still have a lot of Amex Membership Rewards points that I could convert to avios. Would that also be enough to extend the 36-month period?

yes, and they credit pretty fast.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 6:11 pm

3 month grace period

I have about 75,0000 points that expire on January 17, 2018, as I have not had any activity since January 17, 2015

I was thinking of making a purchase on the BA shopping portal through Etsy, but concerned they may not credit on time.

I read somewhere that there is a 3 month grace period, so as long as the points credit by March 17, 2018 it would work to extend my points for another 3 years.

Can anyone confirm whether that is the case?

Thanks.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 6:28 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by OfficeGlenn
I have about 75,0000 points that expire on January 17, 2018, as I have not had any activity since January 17, 2015

I was thinking of making a purchase on the BA shopping portal through Etsy, but concerned they may not credit on time.

I read somewhere that there is a 3 month grace period, so as long as the points credit by March 17, 2018 it would work to extend my points for another 3 years.

Can anyone confirm whether that is the case? Thanks.
I've never personally heard of a 3 month extension as above but that's not to say that isn't the case but I can't see it anywhere and happy to be corrected of course. The terms of the BAEC are this though:

14.4. If a Member has not earned or redeemed Avios points or purchased or transferred Avios points in accordance with the Conditions of Use for 36 consecutive months, all Avios points that have accrued to that date will expire.

There are suggestions in this thread as well as the one jerry a.laska has mentioned but the surefire way to save them is to buy Avios direct from ba.com. £31 which is about 52 CAD and they'll be good for another 3 years almost instantly once you log out then back in if you go down that route. With 75k points you'd still get some good options say if flying within the USA or using them to upgrade.

The sweetspot on BA, well for me anyhow, is upgrading to business class from a paid World Traveller plus assuming there is say availability to upgrade. However there are many uses for Avios points, hotels, car hire etc but for a very small amount of cash you could still make some good use of them.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 12:20 pm

This thread seems to suggest there may be a 3 month grace period, but I am not sure if this is still the case:

39 Months Between Earning Avios - Will they expire?
Old Jan 4, 2018, 5:26 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by OfficeGlenn
This thread seems to suggest there may be a 3 month grace period, but I am not sure if this is still the case:

39 Months Between Earning Avios - Will they expire?
I see an interesting post from JAXBA which is here but no specifics and not sure if that is the case or not. Perhaps someone with more knowledge than me may post.

Scrutinising the specifics of expiring points it states that of you are a member of a Household Account (HHA) and there is a Gold, Silver or Bronze member who has redeemed or earned in the last 36 months then as long as you stay in that HHA then the points won't expire.

Here are the T & Cs. A new one on me but you learn something new every day as the old saying goes!

https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...useholdaccount

14.4. If a Member has not earned or redeemed Avios points or purchased or transferred Avios points in accordance with the Conditions of Use for 36 consecutive months, all Avios points that have accrued to that date will expire.

18.1.17. The Avios points balance of individual Household Account Members shall expire in accordance with Clause 14.4 if the individual Household Account Member has not earned or redeemed Avios points or purchased or transferred Avios points in accordance with the Conditions of Use for 36 consecutive months. Notwithstanding Clause 3.12.1, in such circumstances, the membership of the individual Household Account Member and the Household Account shall continue in effect.

18.1.18. Notwithstanding Clause 18.1.16, in the event a Household Account has a Gold, Silver or Bronze Tier Member who has earned or redeemed Avios points within the last 36 consecutive months then the Avios points balance of the other Household Account Members shall not be subject to expiry in accordance with Clause 14.4. In the event a Household Account ceases to have as a Household Account Member any such Gold, Silver or Bronze Tier Member then the provisions of Clause 18.1.16 shall apply.

Pete

Last edited by PETER01; Jan 4, 2018 at 5:35 pm Reason: adding ling to JAXBA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.