Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA F Infant A380 or 777

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2017, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
BA F Infant A380 or 777

Looking at LHR-HKG in F and there is the A380 and the 777 flights available.

Which would be better for an adult travelling with an infant?

I saw in a separate thread that the screen does not really work once the bassinet attachment is put on in the 777? Is it the same for the A380?

Last edited by ermen; Oct 11, 2017 at 12:58 am
Old Oct 10, 2017, 11:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
We've done F on the A380, 777 and 747 with an infant and from what I recall the screen does not work with the bassinet on any of them.

The A380 has a large upstairs bathroom in CW which is better for changing the infant than the smaller F bathroom downstairs - when we did LHR>IAD we used it without issue but of course with permission of the CC and mindful not to disturb other passengers.

Here's a review of that flight:

F Review with Infant
Old Oct 10, 2017, 11:54 pm

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
I slightly prefer the A380 with infant in first. As previous poster, have done all the plane types. Worst is 787-900, then 747, then 777 and best A380. But again, screen is blocked by shelf, hence prefer Club with infant. Otherwise , parents can always buddy dine to kill time
Old Oct 11, 2017, 1:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Looks like consensus is A380 > 777

There was also some talk about leg room being cramped in F once the bassinet seat is out? Is that an issue on the A380?

I hear people on the CW couple seats - actually would be coming back in CW - but I have an unused GUF so thought it would be a waste not to use that..
Old Oct 12, 2017, 6:20 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
I actually was told that you can't get the bed fully flat in F when the bassinet is in place. Is that really true? Seems a staggeringly poor design oversight if true.

It's of personal relevance at the moment as we have a LHR >> JNB trip upcoming in a few weeks, first longhaul with the 14m little dude and we have outbound J, return WTP.

I saw an F redemption come up recently for the day after our existing booking and ummed and ahhed about it, but I'd just got back from JFK and had been chatting to the CC on the upper deck of the 744 about this issue and I suddenly lost my nerve on it.

While I will take a J upgrade for the WTP leg in a shot if one comes up, I am actually oddly sanguine about it if not, and will be genuinely interested to see what the WTP product is like as it's been ages since I have tried it. Have had quite a few bookings for holidays etc that theoretically have been in WTP but we've always ended up getting the bing bong at the gate and ending up in J. Not knocking it mind ;-)
Old Oct 12, 2017, 7:53 am

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
Originally Posted by Pascoe
I actually was told that you can't get the bed fully flat in F when the bassinet is in place. Is that really true? Seems a staggeringly poor design oversight if true.

It's of personal relevance at the moment as we have a LHR >> JNB trip upcoming in a few weeks, first longhaul with the 14m little dude and we have outbound J, return WTP.

I saw an F redemption come up recently for the day after our existing booking and ummed and ahhed about it, but I'd just got back from JFK and had been chatting to the CC on the upper deck of the 744 about this issue and I suddenly lost my nerve on it.

While I will take a J upgrade for the WTP leg in a shot if one comes up, I am actually oddly sanguine about it if not, and will be genuinely interested to see what the WTP product is like as it's been ages since I have tried it. Have had quite a few bookings for holidays etc that theoretically have been in WTP but we've always ended up getting the bing bong at the gate and ending up in J. Not knocking it mind ;-)
For sure you can get the bed to Flat mode, but you need to be really skinny to get your legs underneath the “shelf” they place for the baby seat. My wife spent the overnight in foetal position sleeping and no TV... For the record , I offered her my seat and also to try to sleep on top of me, both were declined... If you have an expiring GUF, use it to First, but by no means would I pay anything extra for First if travelling with an infant. Club is MUCH better!
Old Oct 13, 2017, 2:16 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Thanks for the info LC. Those LHR/JNB flights are pretty full anyway, so I imagine that having J with bassinet on the way out and WTP with bassinet (in the 2 seat window / aisle row) on the way back is by no means the worst outcome for us. I won't fret if there's no improvement on that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.