Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Long weekend in the sun in Europe (May/June) - ideas please!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2014, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue these days

It's quite a busy time of year for me, so getting away for more than a few days (3-4 nights) probably isn't an option. However my partner haven't been able to have a break just the two of us for a long time and we both feel we really need it. Stuck for ideas, I though, I know exactly where I can get a whole load of inspiration!

So here are my criteria:
1) Definitely want some sun, and to be warm enough to be able to relax by a pool/on a decent beach.
2) Not somewhere chavy and rammed, but fairly chilled out and with decent food and a bit of culture.
2) Able to fly there on BA but happy to drive a bit. I've requalified by my partner hasn't, so I'm hoping to use Avios to keep the cost down if possible (may not work out though), but she will need a cash CE (or POUG) fare.
3) Happy with hotel/resort or self-catering.
4) Not quite sure about budget, in that if something looks amazing we may just go for it. On the other hand if something cheaper will do the trick just as well then no need to spend for the sake of it.

I'm sure there are loads of things that I haven't thought of and will now be asked, but anything you can come up with would be great!
Old Mar 27, 2014, 4:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
I would recommend Dubrovnik in Croatia. Short hop from Gatwick, great beaches, scenery, good hotels, weather will be nice, eating out very cheap.

We stayed in Cavtat last year just a boat across the bay to Dubrovnik was a great holiday one of the best.
Porky Speedpig likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

How about Malta ( now that BA are restarting the service)

Regards

TBS
Old Mar 27, 2014, 5:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Malta sounds like a good idea. I would recommend Sardinia over everything, but BA don't fly there.

Based on your requirements, I say Barcelona. But I would also look into Alicante.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 5:27 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Croatia. Or Slovenia. Or Corsica. Or Sardinia.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 5:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold,Aeroplan, Miles&More (Silver), United Gold
Another vote for Dubrovnik, hilton imperial
Old Mar 27, 2014, 7:22 pm

Menorca?
Old Mar 28, 2014, 12:43 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver

We had a great weekend in Dubrovnik last April. Boat tours to the islands available. Hilton Imperial is a great building, too.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 1:04 am

Location: Naas at the weekend and FRA during the working week
Programs: EI Aer Club Concierge , BAEC Silver, Tesco clubcard
Valletta in Malta - Hotel Phoenicia. Alternatively you could opt for Marrakech and stay at the Mosaic Palais Aziza.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 1:32 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard

JMK - think its twice a week so should be able to do a few days and nice place.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Inland Majorca

There's a place called Soller that I like. Very low-key, a couple of good restaurants and we've stayed here a couple of times.
http://www.hotelsalvia.com/

And they don't allow kids, either! (I have three, so when me and the wife do get away for a weekend, this is quite important...)

Might fail on the cultural aspect however - the town and nearby port has an interesting history, but it's not exactly rammed with art galleries.

Do bear in mind that if you're looking for award seats, the last week of May (starting with the bank holiday weekend) is half term for UK schools.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 2:27 am

Programs: BA Executive club Gold ,Skywards
Ibiza. Just stay away from San Antonio . Ibiza has some fantastic beaches and Ibiza town is beautiful
Old Mar 28, 2014, 2:49 am

Programs: BA Silver
Lisbon (small city, not chivvy, sun, food, history, culture). Or stay at Cascais and use the train to visit Lisbon.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
NCE: Plenty of flights, plenty of good food, plenty of sunshine and beaches, and plenty of culture. Not chavvy and you have a broad choice of where to stay depending on how your final budget and mood feels like from secluded seaside hotels to more urban ones or small retreats on the hills overlooking the sea.

Other possibilities apart from those mentioned above could include AGP, CTA, or the new Greek island links
Porky Speedpig likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 4:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
Menorca?
+1 for Menorca ^^

Beautiful island with over 100 unspoilt beaches, mostly deserted in May / June. Some interesting hotel and dining options have opened up in the last year or so. These would be my top picks:

Ca Na Xini
Torralbenc
La Quinta Hotel and Spa (adults only)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.