Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Long weekend in the sun in Europe (May/June) - ideas please!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Long weekend in the sun in Europe (May/June) - ideas please!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2014, 4:20 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
NCE: Plenty of flights, plenty of good food, plenty of sunshine and beaches, and plenty of culture. Not chavvy and you have a broad choice of where to stay depending on how your final budget and mood feels like from secluded seaside hotels to more urban ones or small retreats on the hills overlooking the sea.

Other possibilities apart from those mentioned above could include AGP, CTA, or the new Greek island links
+1 Nice. Great place to visit, lots of culture and great food.

However, I would also say that Cannes is a great place to visit. It has far nicer beaches than Nice and is only a 30 mins train ride up the road.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 4:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue these days
Some great ideas here - thank you!
Old Mar 28, 2014, 4:34 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Lisbon, we stayed at the Corinthia Hotel, near the metro which was very efficient as were the trams which took you up the little alleys to some wonderful sites and buildings. You will have culture, beaches and you can explore places like Sintra, a world heritage site with fairytale palaces, museums, retaurants and cafes, we went on the train and it was about 30 minutes. A great place for a short break.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 5:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
What about Oporto? BA is launching a new route there.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 5:45 am

Programs: M&M FTL; BAEC Bronze
I would not be convinced about Malta.

It is a giant rock and beaches with nice sand are rare and packed full of people, and it can be a bit chavy in the wrong areas at night.

Also food prices are high (everything has to be imported) and I have found the quality that good.

But I would definatley go for Portugal. Porto and Lisbon are great, although obvisouly Porto is not so good for the beach.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 6:46 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Barcelona is worth a thought - warm, nice beach and harbour, good museums, wonderful architecture, reasonably cheap hotels, good food, cheap beer and wine in the right places and a excellent public transport network.

We stayed in the Holiday Inn Express in the City 22 district, on marathon weekend, for under 80 Euros a night - really very impressed, a step up from most HIX's and extremely helpful staff. IHG hotels in the centre were about 50% more - didn't consider it worth it considering the tube station was 3 minutes walk, the entertainment district about the same the other way, and the beach about 10 minutes.

Better than even chance of a reasonable POUG offer as well (£59 IIRC a couple of weeks ago).
Old Mar 28, 2014, 6:54 am

Programs: BAEC
Destinations are quite limited if you live outside of London now that the LGW domestic routes have been stopped.
We're planning a long weekend to Jordan, a couple of days at one of the dead sea hotels a short drive from Amman then a day in Petra.
Might be a bit too warm in June though - we're looking at the beginning of May.

There's an overnight flight to Amman from LHR that arrives 05:00. Travelling in CW should be ok we're hoping.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 6:55 am

Programs: BA Bronze
+1 for Lisbon. Were off in June. We stayed central just off Av de Liberade last time but this time as its the start of a trip to the algarve we are staying at the Altis Belem here so we can be near to the delicious belem tarts!
Old Mar 28, 2014, 7:10 am

Barcelona - you could do a night or two there and a night or two elsewhere. One September I did that, we did the cultural bit and then went to the coast and stayed at Le Meridien Ra near El Vendrell. Beautiful hotel in a stylish building, right on the beach, with a really nice thalasso pool. Totally chilled out, no chavs, mostly adults (French, German) and a small number of well behaved children. Really good staff. Not much local but the hotel was more than enough for a few days and I came back really relaxed. Also lots of potential Avios redemptions in that part of the world, either into BCN or MAD and take the Ave train or IB "air bridge" to BCN.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 3:29 pm

Programs: BA Silver
+1 for Lisbon. Just back from there, what a beautiful city. It's warm, very easy to get about and the food is amazing. Also one of the best value weekend breaks I've done.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by FlyerGill
There's an overnight flight to Amman from LHR that arrives 05:00. Travelling in CW should be ok we're hoping.
Umm...... the one time I arrived that late in BEY (in CW) I was knackered for the next two weeks - not looking forward to BA153's new schedule starting tonight!

That's not to say I was a very responsible drinker on that flight...
Old Mar 30, 2014, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by dj_jay_smith

It is a giant rock and beaches with nice sand are rare and packed full of people, and it can be a bit chavy in the wrong areas at night.

Also food prices are high (everything has to be imported) and I have found the quality that good.

But I would definatley go for Portugal. Porto and Lisbon are great, although obvisouly Porto is not so good for the beach.
The simple solution is not to go to the wrong areas; there are a couple of great hotels, the food is delicious and there's plenty of culture if you know where to look.

The Hypogeum is particularly fascinating:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypogeu...%A6al-Saflieni

Old Mar 30, 2014, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by dj_jay_smith

I'll admit that I was slightly disappointed by Malta too and also by the Phoenicia mentioned above. I like the island and will go there again, but it would be far from my top choice for a weekend away based on the criteria indicated in the OP.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by BERbound
+1 for Lisbon. Just back from there, what a beautiful city. It's warm, very easy to get about and the food is amazing. Also one of the best value weekend breaks I've done.
++1 one of the nicest places, stayed at Olissippo Lapa Palace, really nice hotel
Old Dec 21, 2017, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by Latitude40
+1 for Menorca ^^

Beautiful island with over 100 unspoilt beaches, mostly deserted in May / June. Some interesting hotel and dining options have opened up in the last year or so. These would be my top picks:

Ca Na Xini
Torralbenc
La Quinta Hotel and Spa (adults only)
I agree! Menorca it's a wonderful island. There so much to do! I went on summer and I have a great time, I recommend you to rent a boat and go the south coast and visit Sa Caleta or Cala Blanca, that's what I've done when I was there (here more info, it's in spanish but you can use the translator). There's some good (and cheaps) boat rentals options, you can check out more in this site. And if you're going with friends or family it's the perfect activity to do! I you will get the chance to see much more on a boat!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.