Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Lounge at Toronto YYZ [own lounge closed 31 Oct 2017, now Plaza Premium]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Lounge at Toronto YYZ [own lounge closed 31 Oct 2017, now Plaza Premium]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2017, 8:15 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by themax
I'm going to do what I have always done when I don't like something that affects my business: vote with my feet. My PA has just booked my next trip for later in November on AC, and this will likely continue in the future. For the money BA are charging I just am not prepared to accept this significant downgrade when another decent option exists for less money (and no longer having to endure the T3 baggage wait and arrival hall nightmare at YYZ).
If you can be bothered, please write to Customer Relations (CR) and let them know. Not that it will do anything, but the statistic will be recorded somewhere.

I will be using the airport soon, so will be passing on my comments to CR (whatever they are once I have experienced it), as i warned them that i would when I wrote to complain at the closing of the lounge.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
If you can be bothered, please write to Customer Relations (CR) and let them know. Not that it will do anything, but the statistic will be recorded somewhere.
Good heavens....is the volume of shredded paper in Waterside recorded now?
DYKWIA likes this.

Last edited by simons1; Nov 10, 2017 at 9:09 am Reason: Quotes not set correctly
Old Nov 10, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
[QUOTE=simons1;29044205]
If you can be bothered, please write to Customer Relations (CR) and let them know. Not that it will do anything, but the statistic will be recorded somewhere./QUOTE]

Good heavens....is the volume of shredded paper in Waterside recorded now?

As has been mentioned here previously, sending in feedback is more constructive than writing negative comments on an online forum, even if the likelihood of a positive result is limited. The loss of themax's business is as a direct result of BA's decision to close the lounge.

While the decision to close the lounge is irreversible, hopefully improvements for the provision of the service to BA passengers can be made, if many people feel that this is required and tell BA.

Last edited by TravellerFrequently; Nov 10, 2017 at 8:52 am
Old Nov 10, 2017, 9:14 am

As has been mentioned here previously, sending in feedback is more constructive than writing negative comments on an online forum, even if the likelihood of a positive result is limited.
What are you confused about? Let's be honest, it's a waste of time and will make no difference at all. BA has embarked on the strategy and there is no going back. You really think people at BA Head Office read all the letters and take then seriously?

At best the letter will get passed to India for a canned reply, at worst pulped and turned into toilet paper.

The traveller could of course complain there and then to the lounge manager, however presumably BA has done away with its own people and the PP manager is unlikely to be that interested I suspect. Alternatively it really is a question of having another glass of wine, another curly sandwich and sucking it up.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 9:17 am

I intend to provide my feedback and have another glass of wine!
Old Nov 11, 2017, 7:45 am

Programs: AC SE100k
I was there last week and whilst it wasn’t as bad as I had feared, I do think the food in particular was a big downgrade. The loud music was annoying but I’m sure it won’t take too long for someone to find the volume knob. The sole BA rep was clearly trying her hardest to provide good service, but there is a limit to what one BA staff member can provide in a third-party lounge.

The overall experience was definitely less premium, despite the name of the lounge. It wasn’t horrible, and isn’t making me run to AC screaming and waving my arms, but come January (start of AC Aeroplan’s membership year), I will definitely give AC J a try, and if it’s a better (or even comparable, given their better flight frequencies) experience, I will switch over completely. Vote with my feet, as a poster above recently wrote. Competition is a great thing — especially when you’re taken for granted.

Last edited by SuperCargo; Nov 11, 2017 at 6:48 pm Reason: Fixing typo
Old Nov 11, 2017, 10:10 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by SuperCargo
The overall experience was definitely less premium, despite the name of the lounge. It wasn’t horrible, and isn’t making me run to AC screaming and waving my arms, but come January (start of AC Aeroplan’s redemption year), I will definitely give AC J a try, and if it’s a better (or even comparable, given their better flight frequencies) experience, I will switch over completely. Vote with my feet, as a poster above recently wrote. Competition is a great thing — especially when you’re taken for granted.
I agree. It'll be interesting to know how you get on/what you decide, so please do report back.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 3:08 pm

Sitting in the lounge now.

Definitely a downgrade, especially for F passengers. Food is far from great. Dimly lit and can be noisy. Nicolas Feuillate Brut Reserve (blue label) champagne, which is ok. Was Moet in the BA lounge.

The friendly staff are, however, really making an effort, which is good and important to recognise.

Will post more details and photos tomorrow.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 4:02 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Sitting in the lounge now.

Definitely a downgrade, especially for F passengers. Food is far from great. Dimly lit and can be noisy. Nicolas Feuillate Brut Reserve (blue label) champagne, which is ok. Was Moet in the BA lounge.

The friendly staff are, however, really making an effort, which is good and important to recognise.

Will post more details and photos tomorrow.
Make sure you feed this back to BA, I know I shall. I'd mention it to the CSM too.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 7:18 pm

Programs: ba
Not so bad

Came in prepared to be disappointed, but I'm really not. An hour to go to until boarding 98 and I'm one of four lounging in the 26 seats cordoned off for 1st Class BA. The other side of the room is reserved for BA business and also pretty empty, but it's a quiet evening. Overall my impression is that the combined area is smaller than the old lounge

Gold card gets access to the 'first class' area where drinks are served to seats. Friendly and fairly attentive service (the chocolate tray just came around as I write) For sure there is less choice on beverage and drink. I miss the wasabi nuts, M&Ms and cashews with my first beer, but I didn't need them and the charcuterie board makes up for it.

Food was OK. Strange that there are three soups tonight and only one main meal, but it was decent enough. No better or worse than the old fare, just less choice.

Also I'm not missing queuing at the gents for whatever it is people do in the individual cubicles that takes so long (T5 take note) Is it just me that is much happier to trade privacy for speed?

Biggest serious gripe is apparent lack of power outlets. I think I have the only one in the area, unless they are well camouflaged.

So all in all, different, but not a disaster. Would not induce me to leave or to remain with BA. On another night with full loading? - well, will have to see next time.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 7:23 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Thank you for the balanced report @two_roads very helpful ^
Old Nov 15, 2017, 3:46 pm

Programs: ba
Update - here again on Wednesday afternoon as the 98 was cancelled Tuesday. With three flights going out this evening I expected it to be much busier, and it is noticably more so than yesterday, but still space.Same food as yesterday, I mean exactly the same, but as few people come more than once a week that should not be a problem..

Good view from the window seats, but noticably chilly. Have to move inland when winter comes.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 4:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold,Amex Plat & BA, MR Plat, HH Diamond, accor Gold
From January Plaza Premium will be opening the old BA lounge as PP. The old BA lounge will be use for exclusively for BA passengers during their normal hours of operations, and first class side will once again have ala cart dining, and an more extensive buffet for business. Was told this on good authority of the people in the know. In addition they will also have a BA representative who will also be able to help you with your booking, or verify documents if you have connected from another flight.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 6:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by christianBA
From January Plaza Premium will be opening the old BA lounge as PP. The old BA lounge will be use for exclusively for BA passengers during their normal hours of operations, and first class side will once again have ala cart dining, and an more extensive buffet for business. Was told this on good authority of the people in the know. In addition they will also have a BA representative who will also be able to help you with your booking, or verify documents if you have connected from another flight.
Definitely good news on the lounge front. Just got back from a YYZ-LHR trip using AC in J eastbound and BA F on the return and a few things to be reported as I am doing almost the exact trip in 3 weeks only returning in CW. As expected the AC INTL MLL was it's usual underwhelming self but because 858 using a 773 leaves at 23:55 and I live in midtown Toronto I ate dinner at home before driving to Pearson at 21:45. That being said the AC J seat is great and the crew were as well. It is a similar design to the AA one but I think a bit better and the pillow and duvet were great. I'm fairly large at 6'3 and 215lbs and a side sleeper so I was a bit concerned about people saying the table gets in the way but I had no problem. I basically slept 5 hours of the very fast 6 hour flight which is rare for me as I don't like to use sleeping pills etc so early Eastbounds end up with me sleeping very little. T2 arrival was a breeze as it almost seemed we were the only flight arriving at that time and there was nobody at the kiosks even after the fairly long walk from the gate. My flight back in F on BA was also very good although a half full 17F 772 probably allowed the crew to spend more time on each pax. Strangely enough I felt the AC J seat actually offered more usable space and a better tv screen although I'll give the nod to BA on IFE content.

So I'm kind of conflicted here. As long as BA has F on the route and I can UuA into it and the YYZ lounge is decent I still will stay loyal. Next trip however should provide a closer comparison with the same flight on AC on the 789 using the new seat and but returning on BA and hoping to get out of godawful 12A in the 772 CW dorm. I did do a quick trip through the CCR to see the new furnishings and didn't think the new sofas by the bar were as garish as the original photo seemed to show them and I laid down on the new cabanas for a half hour with absolutely no service as usual. Wasn't looking for any as I had filled up in GF but it was apparent the usual sloth like service on the terrace was still in effect unless you become proactive.

Last edited by Crampedin13A; Nov 16, 2017 at 4:53 am
Old Nov 15, 2017, 6:45 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by christianBA
From January Plaza Premium will be opening the old BA lounge as PP. The old BA lounge will be use for exclusively for BA passengers during their normal hours of operations, and first class side will once again have ala cart dining, and an more extensive buffet for business.
Don't know why BA didn't just announce this when they closed the lounge. Would have saved a lot of hand wringing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.