Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Lounge at Toronto YYZ [own lounge closed 31 Oct 2017, now Plaza Premium]

Old Oct 10, 17, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

Desperate news!
One of the final bastions of civilisation, peace, calm, good food and friends is being ripped away from us.

This wonderful lounge, a veritable haven at the end of a busy trip, is being axed.

The sole solace for flying back to the UK was the pleasure of a few hours being pampered by the brilliant team in Toronto.

Alas, all is going this month.

And we will be left with.......?

Anybody any ideas?
hugolover likes this.
Old Oct 10, 17, 2:29 pm

Really hope this isn't the case being YYZ based...Is it closing for renovations? I've always found the lounge to be quite full.
Old Oct 10, 17, 2:38 pm

I find this very hard to believe it would close full stop with no alternative. there isnt another one world lounge there in T3 (in the international section) as far as I know and it is a great location for BA.

I would assume it is closing temporarily OR moving as part of the T3 rennovations.
Old Oct 10, 17, 2:52 pm

Programs: BA silver, aeroplan
Flying out on the 30th so really hope it's still there then. Anyone with any actual facts and where they came from as there is nothing on any web site I can find
Old Oct 10, 17, 3:04 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
I do hope that this is not true.

Although I have noted some cut backs over the years, the service, food and staff have generally been very good.

Would be very disappointed to end up in a third party lounge, especially if it has no provision for Gold and especially First passengers.

I am visiting next month so will see for myself.....

Hope to get some good news from someone in the know.
Old Oct 10, 17, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador
I wasn't aware the YYZ lounge was closing. Would seem an odd choice given the Pre-Flight Dining/Pre-Flight Supper that the lounge provides.
Old Oct 10, 17, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Hi all
If I am wrong, then happy days!

All I know is that it was a tearful farewell to a lot of very good friends who had worked so hard over the years I have known them
Old Oct 10, 17, 4:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
You arenít wrong. Iíve just talked to the staff and it is closing Oct.31. BA will use the Plaza Premium lounge. Staff has known for 2 weeks and obviously are not happy. Just another nail in the coffin for me as a BA customer.
Old Oct 10, 17, 4:28 pm

Programs: VIPorter First, BA GGL, DL Plat, Golden Circle Elite
The Plaza Premium is awful. Terrible food, no champagne. How are we supposed to fly in such (sober) condition?
Old Oct 10, 17, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by MPH1980 View Post
I find this very hard to believe it would close full stop with no alternative. there isnt another one world lounge there in T3 (in the international section) as far as I know and it is a great location for BA.

I would assume it is closing temporarily OR moving as part of the T3 rennovations.
No it’s a permanent closure as cost cutting. The lounge lady asked if I could let BA know my thoughts as a Gold. Of course we all know that is hopeless
Old Oct 10, 17, 4:44 pm

I heard the staff talking about this when I was there last week, but didn't post on here as I thought it was just rumour.

Very sad news, was a great facility with great people.
Old Oct 10, 17, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Yes, the news did come from the staff. They were stunned and what was even worse, was that they almost seemed to be sworn to secrecy about it!

It is a sad state of affairs. I leave again back to the UK on Nov 9th. and I will really miss my mates.

BA. This is not a good thing to do.
Old Oct 10, 17, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by TOTH2015 View Post
Yes, the news did come from the staff. They were stunned and what was even worse, was that they almost seemed to be sworn to secrecy about it!

It is a sad state of affairs. I leave again back to the UK on Nov 9th. and I will really miss my mates.

BA. This is not a good thing to do.
It makes more sense being Toronto based to give my business to Star. The YYZ BA lounge was one of the reasons I stay with BA as the YYZ Maple Leaf Intl lounge is lousy. This airline really must be doing so well they don't care about chasing customers away.
Old Oct 10, 17, 5:22 pm

Programs: BA silver, aeroplan
Absolutely rediculous: for F travel no huge deal as they serve food on the plane but the HUGE advantage of the late flight out was the lovely food that lounge served F travelers
as for all the CW sleeper service travelers ..... good luck. They don't even serve much on the flight. And having used the PPL when we travel WestJet....it's total rubbish. And now with 60-100 BA travelers in the place silver, gold and CW and F ?? Gonna be a mess. SMH
glad our flight out is Oct 30th
Old Oct 10, 17, 5:37 pm

Can't believe BA is making such a stupid decision. One of the best lounges, one of the best teams.

I am really rather angry.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: