Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IST problems - US Citizen

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AX Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Star Alliance Gold
IST problems - US Citizen

I saw the news that Turkey and the USA have suspended visa issuance to each other, effective immediately. I am due to travel on BA from the UK to IST next week. Further, I already obtained my Turkish visa, but I'm uncertain as to whether I'll actually be able to be admitted with it now. Formally, the statements from both nations simply say the new issuance of visas is suspended.

I rang BA and this was the first they had heard of it. I'm not sure who to contact next. Further, I wonder how BA has handled these types of issues in the past in terms of re-booking, refunds, etc. The Gold Line was unable to advise.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
This thread on the Europe board may be helpful as this is not specifically a BA issue

Turkey suspends all visa (and evisa) services at Turkish missions in the US
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:14 am

There is a big difference between not issuing any more visas,and cancelling visas already held.There has been no statements about cancelling visas.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: OnePass, Delta
Originally Posted by Nicksta
I saw the news that Turkey and the USA have suspended visa issuance to each other, effective immediately. I am due to travel on BA from the UK to IST next week. Further, I already obtained my Turkish visa, but I'm uncertain as to whether I'll actually be able to be admitted with it now. Formally, the statements from both nations simply say the new issuance of visas is suspended.

I rang BA and this was the first they had heard of it. I'm not sure who to contact next. Further, I wonder how BA has handled these types of issues in the past in terms of re-booking, refunds, etc. The Gold Line was unable to advise.
Have you thought about contacting the U.S. Embassy for this information, first?

Safe travels
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AX Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by rapidex
There is a big difference between not issuing any more visas,and cancelling visas already held.There has been no statements about cancelling visas.
Agreed 100%, although I have seen reports elsewhere on Flyertalk of US citizens being denied boarding by airlines on the rumour that Turkey will not accept Americans after 10PM tonight. Nothing substantiated.

In similar disputes, does anyone know how BA has handled the situations?
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bo1953
Have you thought about contacting the U.S. Embassy for this information, first?

Safe travels
I called them and they could only advise on how they are treating Turkish visas, not on how Turkey is treating American visas. Feedback on-the-ground from arrivals through BA would be helpful. Hopefully someone will see this who lands imminently and can advise.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
I called them and they could only advise on how they are treating Turkish visas, not on how Turkey is treating American visas. Feedback on-the-ground from arrivals through BA would be helpful. Hopefully someone will see this who lands imminently and can advise.
You need to contact American Citizen Services at the US Embassy in Ankara. There is a link on the latest State Department Travel Advisory.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 12:08 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I suppose that this will go on until someone blinks first, and with both parties unwilling to lose face that could be a while. The Lira has taken a massive hammering today - I just feel sorry for the people who get caught up in all this and whose livelihoods depend upon Tourism.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I suppose that this will go on until someone blinks first, and with both parties unwilling to lose face that could be a while. The Lira has taken a massive hammering today - I just feel sorry for the people who get caught up in all this and whose livelihoods depend upon Tourism.
I'm not this nasty and cynical in real life but ... does this mean we will start to see cheap deals ex-IST (a la ex-CAI following the devaluation of EGP) ?
rapidex likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
I will ask tomorrow when I pass immigration and update if I get any useful information. Normally the actual ministries take a more practical approach than the politicians.
Nicksta likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 2:28 pm

Programs: BAEC
I would imagine you'd be fine given you already have a visa issued. However, why not contact your local Turkish consulate?
Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:46 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Just spoke to immigration official in Turkey. He confirmed if you already have a visa there is not a problem, apart from that he has not been told anything. Turn up with a visa and at this time it all seems fine.

This may impact BA flights as it seems to me a significant proportion of the pax on these flights are Americans using the AA codeshare.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Worcester
Just spoke to immigration official in Turkey. He confirmed if you already have a visa there is not a problem, apart from that he has not been told anything. Turn up with a visa and at this time it all seems fine.

This may impact BA flights as it seems to me a significant proportion of the pax on these flights are Americans using the AA codeshare.
Thank you, sincerely. That puts my mind to rest. I’ll continue to monitor it, but this is what I was looking for.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 2:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
In similar disputes, does anyone know how BA has handled the situations?
BA does not make up policies or implement any 'rules' of its own. It implements the policies of the respective governments at the point it checks your documents, so you need to keep an eye on US and Turkish government websites (as applicable). As an EU carrier, if they refuse you despite holding correct documents then this would be automatic IDB under EU261 (there is no get-out for "but we thought it might change").

The reason airlines are hot on checking is because they can be fined if they get it wrong. However, they would be able to dispute any charges if they acted 'in good faith', i.e. if the policy were changed while you were actually in the air. For this reason in turn, governments do usually provide enough hours' notice for any aircraft currently en route to arrive first.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.