Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Lounge access at JNB with codeshare outbound

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge access at JNB with codeshare outbound

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2018, 2:02 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by nldogbert
Hi,
Was wondering if anyone can confirm if this is still the case re: lounge usage? The price difference between the Kulula flight and the BA flight is close to 1000 Rand, so am leaning towards the cheaper fare between JNB-CPT.

And do I get TP if the flight is operated by kulula but marketed by BA?
I don't know about SLOW access, but if it is marketed by BA and Sold As BAnnnn then yes you do get the TPs.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 2:33 am

Programs: BA Gold
Was wondering if anyone can confirm if this is still the case re: lounge usage? The price difference between the Kulula flight and the BA flight is close to 1000 Rand, so am leaning towards the cheaper fare between JNB-CPT.
You can still get into the SLOW lounge with a BA Silver or Gold card on a route not operated by Comair. I have never tried this on a Kulula flight but will be attempting this in January on a HLA (Joburg Lanseria)-DUR trip.

On a side note, should I take chance on separate tickets if I arrive in JNB at 11am and try and grab a flight at 1240pm?
Your chances of making that flight are not great and if you have checked bags, no chance. Immigration will take at least 30 minutes and possibly an hour, then walk over to the domestic terminal to go through security will probably be another 30 minutes.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 2:43 am

I didn't think any Kulula-operated flights earned TPs? As I understood it (and things may have changed), on Kulula.com you can book either Kulula or Comair operated flights. The latter will earn TPs but not the former.

I'm unaware that BA does market Kulula operated flights.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 3:11 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
Your chances of making that flight are not great and if you have checked bags, no chance. Immigration will take at least 30 minutes and possibly an hour, then walk over to the domestic terminal to go through security will probably be another 30 minutes.
Ok, in this case I guess I will take the later flight and if I do make it on time see if I can get on this flight. Just wanted to get into CPT earlier as I was planning to drive that day further to the Fransenhoek.

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
I didn't think any Kulula-operated flights earned TPs? As I understood it (and things may have changed), on Kulula.com you can book either Kulula or Comair operated flights. The latter will earn TPs but not the former.
At least on matrix I see this offered, where it is a BA marketed flight but operated by Kulula. I believe that this should be possible since on BA marketed flight but operated by Vueling, I do still get the TP's.

Thanks for help to all!

​​​​​​​Cheers!
Old Dec 19, 2018, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
And do I get TP if the flight is operated by kulula but marketed by BA?
Originally Posted by windowontheAside

At least on matrix I see this offered, where it is a BA marketed flight but operated by Kulula. I believe that this should be possible since on BA marketed flight but operated by Vueling, I do still get the TP's.
ITA Matrix is wrong: these flights are not "operated by kulula".

There is one operating airline concerned: Comair. There are two ways that Comair flights are marketed:-
  1. [*]
There are no Comair-operated flights that carry both a BA flight number and a kulula flight number.

Consequently, if you buy a BA flight number you will earn Avios and TPs in the same way as if you were flying on a BA-operated flight.

If you buy a kulula flight number, you will not earn TPs although you can still earn avios through avios.com if you can jump through whatever hoops are now necessary to do that.

If you think that you are buying a BA flight number on a kulula-operated flight, you are not and something has gone wrong in the descriptions. The most common source of the problem is that kulula's marketing code (MN) is Comair's two-character IATA code. The other thing that can happen is a late sub of a BA configured and liveried aircraft onto a kulula flight, or a late sub of a kulula-configured and liveried aircraft onto a BA flight. AIUI these late subs can be easily done by Comair because both BA and kulula flights are operated by Comair on the same AOC.
Stewie Mac likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: BA Exec Club, Skywards
...and as I discovered last year during a very pleasant boozy evening at the Protea next to JNB, operated by the same crew, who just don different uniforms depending on which livery the aircraft have.

(The Comair simulator facility is just up the road from the Protea, hence a mob of crew staying there and being very sociable)
Old Dec 19, 2018, 12:42 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
So the Kulula crews alternate between their cheerful cheekiness and BA’s signature random matron mode on cue? That’s impressive!
Old Dec 29, 2018, 9:15 pm

Programs: BA GGL, IB PLATINO, AB GOLD, HH DIAMOND
Is it posible to get access to the Slow lounge, with a BA flight operated by Comair with any other emerald oneworld card (Iberia Plus Platino)?
Old Dec 29, 2018, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by PLATINOIB
Is it posible to get access to the Slow lounge, with a BA flight operated by Comair with any other emerald oneworld card (Iberia Plus Platino)?
Yes, assuming flying domestic.
PLATINOIB likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.