Wiki Posts
Search

Was my plane struck by lightning?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2017, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Was my plane struck by lightning?

Flying JNB to LHR on BA54 on 2nd October and there was a quite vigorous lightning storm during boarding and take off.

Just after take off, there was a huge flash, a loud but dull thud on the plane and the lights flickered. Is there any way to determine whether we were indeed struck by lightning. The general consensus amongst my immediate passengers was that it was a lightning strike.

I checked on the plane which was G-CIVZ.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 6:43 am

Programs: BA Oneworld
The one time that my flight was struck (on a landing approach to LHR) the pilot made an announcement to reassure the passengers that it was something that does not happen often but planes are built to withstand. From what you have said, I think it could be likely. I recall a bright flash and loud bang.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 6:45 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by cheryltheperil
Flying JNB to LHR on BA54 on 2nd October and there was a quite vigorous lightning storm during boarding and take off.

Just after take off, there was a huge flash, a loud but dull thud on the plane and the lights flickered. Is there any way to determine whether we were indeed struck by lightning. The general consensus amongst my immediate passengers was that it was a lightning strike.

I checked on the plane which was G-CIVZ.
Yep in all likelihood sounds like classic lightning strike symptoms.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Great, thanks for the responses. I knew somebody on here would be able to confirm.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 6:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
Sounds familiar. Had a lightning strike taking off from Manchester (UK) many years ago. Cabin lights were off and has my eyes closed for a little sleep, then a sudden flash and pop.

thoughr it was a simple failure of the lights, cabin crew were not looking worried.

The pilot confirmed as much just before the final approach to the destination.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 6:59 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by cheryltheperil
Just after take off, there was a huge flash, a loud but dull thud on the plane and the lights flickered. Is there any way to determine whether we were indeed struck by lightning.
Did the plane shake violently at that point?
Old Oct 4, 2017, 7:06 am
Original Poster

I don't recall any particularly violent shaking - it was a bumpy take off generally but nothing out of the ordinary.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 7:18 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Sounds similar to my lighting strike on the 777 out of SYD earlier this year.

Was the planes return delayed by chance? I understand engineers are required to check the plane after a strike.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by navylad
Was the planes return delayed by chance? I understand engineers are required to check the plane after a strike.
The OP's flight - BA54 JNB-LHR on 2 October - was scheduled to arrive at 0655 on 3 October, and actually arrived at 0656.

The aircraft's next flight was BA107 LHR-DXB that day, scheduled departure at 1255 and actual departure at 1254.

Obviously, we can't know now whether G-CIVZ was intended to operate an earlier flight and whether there was some substitution to allow time for a check. But clearly any necessary checks didn't take very long, nor AIUI would one normally expect that.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 8:25 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by Globaliser
The OP's flight - BA54 JNB-LHR on 2 October - was scheduled to arrive at 0655 on 3 October, and actually arrived at 0656.

The aircraft's next flight was BA107 LHR-DXB that day, scheduled departure at 1255 and actual departure at 1254.

Obviously, we can't know now whether G-CIVZ was intended to operate an earlier flight and whether there was some substitution to allow time for a check. But clearly any necessary checks didn't take very long, nor AIUI would one normally expect that.
Thanks, I suspect it was swapped out to allow for checks.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 8:34 am

Programs: AAEXP/Marriott Life Platinum
Many years ago, flying 1st class in a fully loaded 747 HKG to SFO (PanAm or UA-can't remember), we were struck right after take off. Bright flash and a little bump.

The captain confirmed the strike and explained that the plane was safe to continue.
However, we lost lights, electrical for the ovens, and the entire entertainment system.

The captain explained that he could return to HKG after spending hours dumping fuel, then repairing the plane, or we could continue. He asked the passengers their choice.

The majority chose to continue. I think the crew had already decided to continue!

It was a great flight.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Seem to recall reading (Cockpit confidential???) that on average each plane is hit once a year. Aircraft are aluminium over glass fibre (or in newer aircraft using composites they have lightening conductors built into the skin) so absolutely designed to withstand a lighting strike.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
The one time it happened to me, on a 757 climbing out through the remnants of an electrical storm, there was a bright flash, an almighty BANG, and the plane shuddered. No dismissing it -- for a moment I thought an engine had exploded.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 8:36 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Was on a BA GLA-LHR shuttle back in the late 80s that was hit by lightning on the descent into Heathrow. That wasn't the worst part of the flight. Jim Davidson was down the back end of the "bus" cracking the most awful jokes for the entire flight!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.