Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Name of 1990s entertainment system

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2020, 1:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
How many of you remember when there used to be a film shown from a projector stuffed in the cabin ceiling? <snip>!
Once flew front row if the Y cabin to SFO with the large screen on the wall in front of me.

Decided never to do that again!!
Old Jan 10, 2020, 3:04 pm

Name of 1950s entertainment system: book
T8191 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 3:54 pm
HRE

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Hoch
If we're being nostalgic, I can remember flying in First when there was a little video cassette player. It was a rather decent selection of films.

H
The whole premise of the Mission Impossible film!
Old Jan 10, 2020, 4:43 pm

Programs: BAEC - Silver | Hilton Honors - Gold
I was on a TATL AA 757 last year from PHL to GLA, that had the overhead screens. It was very retro. But as AA say “great is what they are going for” if great is mediocre 2002, they are spot on.

Old Jan 10, 2020, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by silonic
Just boarded a flight to Vegas. I know it’s an old 747 but the entertainment system is only offering video channels, 25 of them to be precise, including foreign films and subtitled films all on a loop....... you can’t start from the beginning and there is no guide to know what you’re watching.

Is this part of the nostalgic feel BA are bringing back?
I experienced that on a flight from Asia a couple of years ago. I was a bit shocked as I remember the old loop system and was amazed they were still using it. Once airborne the crew rebooted the whole system and then the video on demand came back. What was intriguing was it was the right films that were showing through the loop system so the (early) VOD must just be an interface layered on top of the old one.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 9:43 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
On my first Mid-J 747 (about 4 years ago now) my IFE in F worked just fine if I used the remote, though the touchscreen was inoperable. Unfortunately some screens in J and Y were inoperable even via the remote, so the crew did a few full resets which didn’t fix the issue, so they switched the entire aircraft IFE back to the fixed loop 25 channel offering for the remainder of the flight.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 10:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
How many of you remember when there used to be a film shown from a projector stuffed in the cabin ceiling? TWA ( scads ahead of BA in the seventies) used to have an "Adult" cabin on the 747 where they didn't put children and they showed more grown up entertainment. We used to hand out those ghastly stethescope type headsets.

What we called that wretched system back in the nineties is not repeatable here!
I flew Mexicana in 2009 before it went bust. Their 767s still had the projector. Really not so long ago
Old Jan 11, 2020, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Greenpen
On my first First in 2002 we got given a mini-cassette of the film we wanted. You had a fairly limited choice but I’ve forgotten how many were available. You slotted it into the player which was part of the seat.

I watched Cabaret starring Sally Bowles.
...and when that player broke there were two backup “portable” tape players with screens the size of an old school Nokia.

I think there were about 20 options listed on a little slip left on the seat in F.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 2:23 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Jambon87
I was on a TATL AA 757 last year from PHL to GLA, that had the overhead screens. It was very retro. But as AA say “great is what they are going for” if great is mediocre 2002, they are spot on.
Great is what we used to be, more like. Apart from the side of the aircraft, it’s cheap and nasty US Air to its heart.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 4:19 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
...and when that player broke there were two backup “portable” tape players with screens the size of an old school Nokia.

I think there were about 20 options listed on a little slip left on the seat in F.
I had completely forgotten about that.

I used to rush to complete the form to get the tape i wanted to avoid someone else getting it and then promptly falling asleep!
Old Jan 11, 2020, 5:15 am

OT slightly but I remember Britannia Airways being quite ahead of the curve with charter flights even having big heavy cathode ray tv monitors hanging from the ceiling on 737-200's! One wonders the safety aspect of those if there had been an accident. Their 767's had the air tube headphones but was ground breaking in 80's for charter.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 8:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver (but only temporarily) AVIS Presidents Club, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by missdimeaner
I know ! Had one a couple of years back 767 to ORD - equipment change was originally a 772 (old style so personal looped, marginally better).
I remember the first time I set foot on a BA 747 in 1978 - drop down projector screens and stethoscopes, I'm definitely not nostalgic for them !
I remember on a 747 flying to Houston in the late 70's to visit family and down comes the projector. Ah those were the days.

ML
Old Jan 11, 2020, 7:24 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, EY Plat, etc
TWA ( scads ahead of BA in the seventies) used to have an "Adult" cabin on the 747 where they didn't put children and they showed more grown up entertainment. We used to hand out those ghastly stethescope type headsets.
I well remember TWA’s setup and the stethoscopes. When I finally got to fly in F (or “Royal Ambassador”) it looked like proper headsets were issued. Alas they were just bigger versions of the same plastic tubing but sat over your ear and were only marginally more comfortable.

Nobody has mentioned the appalling GMIS setup with microscreens in F until BA gave up and handed out iPads instead. I rather liked the BA Personal tape player setup in F which at the time seemed pretty space age!

Last edited by Robespierre; Jan 12, 2020 at 2:00 pm
Old Jan 12, 2020, 12:35 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Originally Posted by sigma421
Omnia. It became Highlife Entertainment in early 2002 IIRC
They were using Omnia when I first started flying in business cabins

Used to love the warm up video before each film ; my memory was that it was a bit more magical than the higlife ine which i fast forward through
Robespierre likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 4:49 am

Programs: Mucci des Epices Exotiques, BAEC Gold,EK Gold,SPG,Marriott,Club Carlson
I’m having a cup of tea, reading posts on here and Dvorak Serenade for strings is on the radio. That makes me think of BA-is it the music the used to play on landing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.