Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bizarre issue with BA login credentials

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2017, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond, BA Silver, CX Gold, Skywards Silver, Sirius Silver, Starwood Gold
Bizarre issue with BA login credentials

Hi,
Fot the last few days I have had an issue with being locked out of my BA account.
I have had to request a reset password email every day, as it says my account is locked due to too many login attempts. It's only me that uses it, and the wife occasionally for Gate 365, which she hasn't recently.
Is it likely that someone, or something, is trying to hack my account?
Has anyone had a similar experience? Any advice?

Last edited by sleepindug; Oct 1, 2017 at 4:05 pm
Old Oct 1, 2017, 11:47 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It is indicative of someone trying to hack your account. You may want to ring up BAEC to look into it, we know of people in Russia, Ukraine and China who hack BA accounts and use the Avios to sell on hotel reservations to other people. It is important that BAEC has a password shared with no other online account of any description. There are more innocent explanations such as your App constantly logging into a previously used password.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Give yourself a really obscure password for a bit, lots of numbers and letters. Could be someome systematically trying to hack you, could be someone with a similar email address or username screwing up (this has happened to me, not on BA).
Old Oct 1, 2017, 11:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I've had a couple of problems but more to do with the verification process. It pops up every time I log in and during award searches....disturbed me today while I was doing a MPN-SCL search.
As if that isn't bad enough...it asks for my DOB whenever I want to update my personal details. Is this to find out if dementia is setting in?

My online bank accounts are less fussy.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond, BA Silver, CX Gold, Skywards Silver, Sirius Silver, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It is indicative of someone trying to hack your account. You may want to ring up BAEC to look into it,.
Any idea who I'd phone, don't fancy 20 mins on hold tomorrow, as has been my recent experience.

I've changed password to something really weird. Watch this space I guess!!
Old Oct 1, 2017, 12:13 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by sleepindug
Any idea who I'd phone, don't fancy 20 mins on hold tomorrow, as has been my recent experience.

I've changed password to something really weird. Watch this space I guess!!
Ring on your usual BAEC number around UK lunchtime, assuming no hurricanes (etc), queue times are generally lowest at that point.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Ring on your usual BAEC number around UK lunchtime, assuming no hurricanes (etc), queue times are generally lowest at that point.
Thanks. Will do.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 2:44 pm

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
This has been posted already, I'm in the same boat, my account is under "investigation" my points are still there, but BA can't tell me anything or when it will be unlocked.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...g-account.html
Old Oct 2, 2017, 5:28 am
Original Poster

I might be slightly paranoid here!
Had a PM on here from "BA Executive Club" asking for my BAEC account number and email, so they can look into this problem. Is this genuinely a BA representative?
Old Oct 2, 2017, 6:24 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold (current GGL), HH Diamond
Had a PM on here from "BA Executive Club" asking for my BAEC account number and email, so they can look into this problem. Is this genuinely a BA representative?
You are right to be paranoid, but that handle is genuine see this sticky for confirmation: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...dashboard.html
Old Oct 2, 2017, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Yes Louise works for BA and she is lovely and helpful. You can tell if someone is a genuine company representative by looking on their profile page/postings. If their handle is in Green then they're genuine.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jimmie76
Yes Louise works for BA and she is lovely and helpful. You can tell if someone is a genuine company representative by looking on their profile page/postings. If their handle is in Green then they're genuine.

Cheers. I'll message her back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.