Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BBC TV : (museum) Concorde: A Supersonic Story

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2017, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

This was on last night shown in the SOuth West area.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b096n3rw

Possibly, Its on again BBC OCt 10, which seems a little longer programme. http://www.radiotimes.com/tv-program...ersonic-story/
Old Oct 10, 2017, 11:38 am
soy

Programs: various
Tonight there is a 60min version of the same program on BBC4

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b097tvt3

Not sure why they have 2 versions of this program
Old Oct 10, 2017, 12:51 pm
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
I thought it was pretty good, would have enjoyed it being longer.

I will most likely pay a visit to the new museum in Bristol when it opens in a few weeks.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 12:58 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by When I Travel The World

I will wmost likely pay a visit to the new museum in Bristol when it opens in a few weeks.
Sounds like an excuse for a Do. If only we had a Bristol based FT’er who might organise one, cough cough BotB
Old Oct 10, 2017, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by soy
Tonight there is a 60min version of the same program on BBC4

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b097tvt3

Not sure why they have 2 versions of this program
The 30 minute version was shown in a BBC1 regional 'opt out' slot which concentrates on more local matters.

Without watching but based on other 30/60 minute programmes covering the same subject the regional show would likely concentrate on issues that were related to the Bristol area aspects of Concorde and would have cut out the national / inernational aspects thus giving the programme a more regional focus.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 2:03 pm

Bumping this up – this has just started, for anyone who is interested!

Archive footage with an RP accented gentleman saying "flying it would be like putting granny in a missile"... that's me sold
Old Oct 10, 2017, 2:15 pm
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
The 30 minute version was shown in a BBC1 regional 'opt out' slot which concentrates on more local matters.

Without watching but based on other 30/60 minute programmes covering the same subject the regional show would likely concentrate on issues that were related to the Bristol area aspects of Concorde and would have cut out the national / inernational aspects thus giving the programme a more regional focus.
Good to know, I was about to watch the 30min version on the iplayer last night, but now will wait to catch the full show ^
Old Oct 10, 2017, 3:27 pm

If anyone is interested, the iPlayer link for Concorde - A Supersonic Story - and also for an episode of the 1994 programme Perpetual Motion on Concorde
Old Oct 11, 2017, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I had feared it was a repeat. Either my memory failed me, or there was some new material! Very enjoyable 60 minutes (apart from the AF crash, about which a BA Captain neatly summarised what went wrong).
Old Oct 11, 2017, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I thought I had set it to record but had only done a 'reminder'. Oh well I'll watch it on ipayer.

I did see the (repeat) of the D-check documentary that was on immediatly after though Engineering Giants
Old Oct 11, 2017, 4:48 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
And right after, they screened the documentary about stripping down of a 747 for service. AVGeek TV at it's best
Old Oct 11, 2017, 6:32 am

Programs: BAEC Blue
Originally Posted by squawk
If anyone is interested, the iPlayer link for Concorde - A Supersonic Story - and also for an episode of the 1994 programme Perpetual Motion on Concorde
Thanks for posting the link to the Perpetual Motion programme. I really enjoyed the material on Concorde and it was a fascinating example of how TV has changed over the past 20+ years. I was struck by how much of the running time was devoted to allowing real people - (whisper it) experts, even - to speak for themselves. Too often these days, in a similar programme, one would have to endure a Clarkson or a Hammond patronising the viewer and taking up half the running time gurning to camera.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by T8191
I had feared it was a repeat. Either my memory failed me, or there was some new material! Very enjoyable 60 minutes (apart from the AF crash, about which a BA Captain neatly summarised what went wrong).
The BA Captain was the Chief Concorde Captain Mike Bannister. I have had the pleasure of being in his company on a number of occasions and been enthralled by his tales about Concorde and the BA operation.

I was enjoying the programme until I was reminded forcibly by Mrs Cheeks that she did not wish to watch details of a plane crash the day before we fly to ATL. It made very little difference when I advised her that it was an Air France crash not BA
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:58 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
I watched some of it.
In those days, BA re-engineered everything.

Including the silver Concorde ballpoint pens that they gave out. It is impossible to get a refill. Nothing fits!!!
Old Oct 11, 2017, 11:22 am
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
Quote:
Originally Posted by When I Travel The World View Post

I will wmost likely pay a visit to the new museum in Bristol when it opens in a few weeks.
Sounds like an excuse for a Do. If only we had a Bristol based FT’er who might organise one, cough cough BotB
Good plan. I'm also in Bristol half the time. Though no one wants to fly into Bristol airport ! lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.