Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Doha Qatar to BA transfer - separate tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2017, 5:51 am
Original Poster

I am flying to Doha on Qatar (economy) and land at 23:20. My next flight is on BA at 8:30. I have separate tickets so they will not check my bags all the way through to London/JFK. I believe i have to go through immigration, get my bags, and then customs. Where is the BA check in desk to recheck my luggage? Do I have to go through security again and have to get a transit visa?
Old Sep 27, 2017, 6:05 am

Programs: BA Silver
QR will now interline baggage on separate tickets (but not the other way around as far as I know). Friend of mine just did AKL-DOH-ARN with QR connecting to ARN-LHR with BA on separate tickets and he was able to check his bag all the way to LHR

He's about to land now, so we'll see if he gets his bag soon!
Old Sep 27, 2017, 6:06 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lynnn
I am flying to Doha on Qatar (economy) and land at 23:20. My next flight is on BA at 8:30. I have separate tickets so they will not check my bags all the way through to London/JFK. I believe i have to go through immigration, get my bags, and then customs. Where is the BA check in desk to recheck my luggage? Do I have to go through security again and have to get a transit visa?
You will be checking in with QR and it is they who decide whether to check your bags through on a separate ticket I understood QR would check your bag through on to BA. I don't know if they hold them overnight at DOH though.

https://www.ausbt.com.au/qatar-airwa...-baggage-rules

http://www.qatarairways.com/us/en/on...s-service.page

Through check-in

Qatar Airways is pleased to offer passengers the courtesy of through check of themselves and their bags to their final destination when travelling on multi-sector journeys involving connections onto other oneworld member airlines, even when the trip is booked using separate tickets. However, customers should note that through check may not be possible on their return journey if there trip starts with another airline that does not provide the same level of service.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
I don't know if they hold them overnight at DOH though.
They definitely do, provided it is checked through of course.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
KARFA is this week your debut on QR ?
Old Sep 27, 2017, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Firipu
QR will now interline baggage on separate tickets (but not the other way around as far as I know). Friend of mine just did AKL-DOH-ARN with QR connecting to ARN-LHR with BA on separate tickets and he was able to check his bag all the way to LHR

He's about to land now, so we'll see if he gets his bag soon!
It might be a good time to mention this piece of advice, which is not sufficiently widely known: If you do have your bags through-tagged like this across two separate tickets, you should make sure that when you get to the transfer point the second airline sees your bag tags and takes down the bag tag numbers. Otherwise, there is a real risk that although the first airline will deliver the bags to the second airline at the transfer point, the second airline will not load the bags because they haven't yet been linked to a particular passenger who is recorded as having boarded the aircraft.

As an example: What are essentials and can we even claim anything?
caz312 likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 6:12 am
Original Poster

transfer bags QR to BA

t
Thank you, I had noted that on their website, but I have been told by 2 different Qatar agents that when I check in at Zanzibar I will NOT be able to check my bags onto the British Air flight. I will ask and hope they do, but if not does anyone know where I would go at 1 AM to check my bags? Do I need a transit visa?
Old Sep 27, 2017, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
KARFA is this week your debut on QR ?
Well remembered. It’s tomorrow. Due to the AMS-DOH flights changes I am now on LHR-DOH tomorrow at 1600. First time on any of the ME3.
Flame3601 likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd
They definitely do, provided it is checked through of course.
Thanks ^
Old Sep 27, 2017, 6:17 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Well remembered. It’s tomorrow. Due to the AMS-DOH flights changes I am now on LHR-DOH tomorrow at 1600. First time on any of the ME3.
I'm looking forward to your comments.

M
KARFA likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Ooooh cracking result

Q-Suites ?

I'm still an ME3 virgin too
Old Sep 27, 2017, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Ooooh cracking result

Q-Suites ?

I'm still an ME3 virgin too
Yes q suites to DOH (unless there is a late change). A350 for both flights back from Japan. Should certainly be interesting to try QR. Also very much looking forward to visiting Japan again.
rossmacd and Schwann like this.

Last edited by KARFA; Sep 27, 2017 at 6:34 am Reason: Someone missed typing “a350” text
Old Sep 27, 2017, 6:33 am

Yes q suites to DOH (unless there is a late change). for both flights back from Japan. Should certainly be interesting to try QR. Also very much looking forward to visiting Japan again.
Fantastic, I've yet to try Q-Suites, but I am very familiar with the current (brilliant) QR J product.

I am unlikely to take a Q-Suites route until it gets rolled out to something like the ZRH or AMS routes.
KARFA likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 6:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by lynnn
t
Thank you, I had noted that on their website, but I have been told by 2 different Qatar agents that when I check in at Zanzibar I will NOT be able to check my bags onto the British Air flight. I will ask and hope they do, but if not does anyone know where I would go at 1 AM to check my bags? Do I need a transit visa?
I wouldn't trust the crooks that work in Zanzibar or mainland Tanzania. Every time I've been through there on Qatar Airways, they make up some random reason to charge me an on the spot fee at the checkin desk (usually some made up tax charge which they'll try and prove using a fake letter from their transportation authority). Last time I asked the flight attendent about this and they checked with other passengers and it turned out only the foreigners were targeted. I complained to qatar and they refunded the fake charge but it's still annoying when the agent has your passport and refuses to give it back unless you pay them this made up fee.
So qatar airways to allow through checkin but I wouldn't bother in Zanzibar because you'll probably find they'll try and freece you for extra cash being the crooks they are.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 6:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
For a point of reference, I have flown qatar from Dubai (when they still did that) in Y connected onto BA in F in DOH on seperate tickets and the checkin staff had no problems interlining the baggage for me through to another connecting flight in LHR. The qatar staff are friendly and accommodating and in my experience, you will have no problem doing this

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.