Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Domestic connections to F itinerary booked into Y

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2017, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver

Have just spent an eternity on the phone (far too long on hold, and far too long in conversation) getting an EDI-LHR-PEK/HKG-LHR-EDI itinerary booked using an expiring 241. Long haul sectors in F. The confirmation has turned up and the agent has booked me into Y on the domestic legs, despite my requesting J (and it being available - and not costing any extra!). When I call back, will this be amended without fuss?
Old Sep 25, 2017, 2:02 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Yes, as long as you do it within 24 hours there won't be any fees.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Ugh, do I need to call back this evening or should I wait until first thing tomorrow? (am I going to end up with the same agent if I call back now?)
Old Sep 25, 2017, 2:15 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

I had a similar identical open jaw redemption booking made very recently.

Connections on long haul are of course free however if you choose/move from Y to CE on domestics there they will charge extra Avios. (3750 in my case, EDI-LHR)

You can call back now or wait until the morning and hope the availability is still there. Unlikely you would get the same person.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Sent off to be reticketed.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 2:34 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PETER01

Connections on long haul are of course free however if you choose/move from Y to CE on domestics there they will charge extra Avios. (3750 in my case, EDI-LHR)

You can call back now or wait until the morning and hope the availability is still there. Unlikely you would get the same person.
Has this changed? When CE was introduced on domestic flights on BA.com it was pricing up long haul J/F rewards with the domestic in CE, and there was no avios charge for the domestic. See my post at the time https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28035850-post669.html
Old Sep 25, 2017, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
Has this changed? When CE was introduced on domestic flights on BA.com it was pricing up long haul J/F rewards with the domestic in CE, and there was no avios charge for the domestic. See my post at the time https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28035850-post669.html
No, after much to-ing and fro-ing on the phone that was their conclusion too (but only because I insisted on the basis of your post).
KARFA and PETER01 like this.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 2:37 pm

My recently booked LBA-LHR-SEZ-LHR-LBA in F had the domestic connections in CE, no problem and no extra Avios.
KARFA likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by nearlyheadlessian
No, after much to-ing and fro-ing on the phone that was their conclusion too (but only because I insisted on the basis of your post).
My itinerary booked a few weeks ago is:

EDI (CE)-LHR-SFO (F)

LAX-LHR (CW)- EDI (CE)

The only thing I changed was the very first segment from Y to CE.

Where is that info on ba.com KARFA so I can refer to it if it is a mistake.

I was told by the first agent that connections are free but only in Y. CE has a slight additional charge.

The original booking was in Y down to LHR however as I am now flying with someone down to LHR, they booked CE so I changed my booking to be in the same cabin. I called the following day and within 24 hours and my statement showed this.

Redeposit 0 147,500
Redemption 0 -151,250

I was told the same thing by a 2nd agent when I called to make the amendments. So, either both are wrong or the OP was right or got lucky?

Any advice gratefully received. ^
Old Sep 25, 2017, 2:57 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
My itinerary booked a few weeks ago is:

EDI (CE)-LHR-SFO (F)

LAX-LHR (CW)- EDI (CE)

The only thing I changed was the very first segment from Y to CE.

Where is that info on ba.com KARFA so I can refer to it if it is a mistake.

I was told by the first agent that connections are free but only in Y. CE has a slight additional charge.

The original booking was in Y down to LHR however as I am now flying with someone down to LHR, they booked CE so I changed my booking to be in the same cabin. I called the following day and within 24 hours and my statement showed this.

Redeposit 0 147,500
Redemption 0 -151,250

I was told the same thing by a 2nd agent when I called to make the amendments. So, either both are wrong or the OP was right or got lucky?

Any advice gratefully received. ^
Not sure if it writte down anywhere on BA.com. However I have tried it again now and if you price up a long haul J with doemstic connections it automatically puts you in CE and does not charge any avios. In my example I just tried LBA-LHR-JFK return in J for off peak dates and the total avios change was for 100k with the domestic flights in CE. 50k one way in J is the off peak rate for LHR-NYC.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 3:15 pm

Not sure if it writte down anywhere on BA.com. However I have tried it again now and if you price up a long haul J with doemstic connections it automatically puts you in CE and does not charge any avios. In my example I just tried LBA-LHR-JFK return in J for off peak dates and the total avios change was for 100k with the domestic flights in CE. 50k one way in J is the off peak rate for LHR-NYC.
Thanks, I'll give them a call tomorrow, explain that as below too and see what happens.

The difference between a Y and CE from EDI-LHR is 3750 so I wonder how they came to that conclusion as I am seeing a SFO redemption booking automatically in CE for F for 85k plus 62,500 for the return in J/CE which = 147,500 which I was originally charged with a Y connection originally. So it looks like I have been wrongly advised twice and had Avios deducted wrongly.

Thanks ^
Old Sep 25, 2017, 4:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Starbucks Gold,
Earlier in the year, my Mum (Bronze) had a couple of domestic connections in Y onto long haul J/F sectors. She called up and was told no availability / only books into Y / would cost her cash/avios to change - i.e. a different story each time.

I (GCH) called up as a nominee on the account and got all into CE for the domestic legs.

May have been more informed call centre staff, but definitely a case of HUACA if you're not happy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.