Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First / Business Award Availability...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2017, 4:55 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC, IC Plat Amb, LH FTV
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I wouldn't rely on that or EF Alerts (in particular) due to the scraping effect and timelags, just do a dummy redemption search via BA.com or the App, shouldn't take any longer to do.
The benefit of EF is that you can set up the alerts if you don't remeber to search regularly
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I've signed up on expert flyer. From what I can see there 9's for F and J and 4's for W on both flights to LAX on 3/10. Also 9's in Y

Logically I assume that means there could be none/hardly any sold in F. J is unlikely to be oversold so they don't need to keep any F free for Op Up's and as it's not sold out down the back then they are unlikely to be Opping up through the cabins either.

Assuming my logic is so, would one 'expect' to see any F availabilty on this route or would BA be content with having at least 9 empties in F?

One thing I don't understand though is that when looking at the seat map on EF I notice half the seats are taken?

I'm still learning these numbers and letters but it currently reads...

For the early flight: F9 A9 J9 C9 D9 R9 I0 W5 E0 T0 Y7 B7 H6 K5 M5 L5 S5 N5 Q4 O4 G0
And the later flight: F9 A9 J9 C9 D7 R0 I0 W2 E0 T0 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 N9 Q9 09 G9
Old Sep 19, 2017, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Just having a nose around kingcole974 and there's literally no F at all on all West Coast cities for the next month - even short notice. Not sure if you're going to get any luck unfortunately
Old Sep 19, 2017, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Just having a nose around kingcole974 and there's literally no F at all on all West Coast cities for the next month - even short notice. Not sure if you're going to get any luck unfortunately
Totally aware. I not expecting, just hoping. I have checked all the other West Coast destinations and most are very limited on revenue availability. Just F1 for SAN, SJC and SEA on my dates. So pretty sure nothing will surface here.

But as mentioned, both LAX flights and the second LAS flights might be my best chance.

If not, I can at least tick off a new airport: OAK.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: EXP,EX-CK 2.5mm, now lifetime Platinum, ex-UA1K, Marriott- Platinum, Hertz 5*
They are clearly flying empty seats out rather than give them out as award seats. My partner will be in F on 284 next week so he can tell me if they fly any empty. Infuriating that they would rather "protect the class" than let us redeem. I totally understand it if the seat can be sold, but as an example tonight's BA 284 has FIVE empty seats! And it's only 8 hours away.

Definitely in the "old days" ( a few years ago ) they were opening up more seats a week before takeoff and 24 hours. That policy seems to have fallen by the wayside for long haul J and F.

Sad.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 9:13 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by goldengate
I totally understand it if the seat can be sold, but as an example tonight's BA 284 has FIVE empty seats! And it's only 8 hours away.
I think today's BA284 is oversold in WTP so I think some passengers are going to be rolled forward. It seems unlikely that all 5 First seats will go, but it wouldn't surprise me if 2 or 3 are taken up with upgraded passengers. But the underlying message here is clear, and I personally think reasonable: if you absolutely have to travel on one aircraft on one date in one cabin, that's what revenue tickets are for.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 11:58 am

They are clearly flying empty seats out rather than give them out as award seats. My partner will be in F on 284 next week so he can tell me if they fly any empty. Infuriating that they would rather "protect the class" than let us redeem. I totally understand it if the seat can be sold, but as an example tonight's BA 284 has FIVE empty seats! And it's only 8 hours away.

Definitely in the "old days" ( a few years ago ) they were opening up more seats a week before takeoff and 24 hours. That policy seems to have fallen by the wayside for long haul J and F.

Sad.
I'm still keeping my eyes peeled for F availability to LAX (or LAS) for a week tomorrow.

The early LAX flight is showing 9 in First, many more in J and 4 or 5 in W so little chance of people being bumped forward. The later flight also has good availabilty (not quite as much in First).

I'm hoping to call Bingo after the sale ends.......
Old Sep 25, 2017, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EXP,EX-CK 2.5mm, now lifetime Platinum, ex-UA1K, Marriott- Platinum, Hertz 5*
Nope, not even close to sold out... it's J9....

I don't have to be on this flight... but we are loyal to this airline for a reason and I think it's terrible they would let seats go out empty rather than let us reduce our Avios / OneWorld balances a bit.

BTW, your handle on here has always made me smile!

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I think today's BA284 is oversold in WTP so I think some passengers are going to be rolled forward. It seems unlikely that all 5 First seats will go, but it wouldn't surprise me if 2 or 3 are taken up with upgraded passengers. But the underlying message here is clear, and I personally think reasonable: if you absolutely have to travel on one aircraft on one date in one cabin, that's what revenue tickets are for.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:52 am

Nothing has opened up to the West Coast since the sale ended. Has anyone had any luck elsewhere?
Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I’ve been looking for you too kingcole974
Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
I’ve been looking for you too kingcole974
Ha! That's very kind.

Still showing F9 A9 J9 C9 D9 R9 for the early LHR LAX flight and F8 A7 J9 C4 D1 for the later LHR LAS flight on October 3rd, so I've not thrown the towel in yet.

All other routes in the vicinty seem pretty full up front though so just checking these now.

Ps. Can't beleive how quick one can burn through 250 searched on Expert Flyer!

Is there actually a scenario where there are 9 empties in F with ample space in J so no need to bump anyone forward where they would still hold back from releasing reward seats?
Old Sep 27, 2017, 12:49 pm
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Although BA will never disclose the figures, I suspect that on some routes, there are quite a few staff (with different priorities and who have paid a range of fares) in the premium cabins. I think families of pilots will always get the best available seats on the aircraft regardless of fare paid. During school holidays in particular, very few premium awards are released but the front cabins go full, often with operational upgrades. Dubai is one such route where it seems to occur consistently.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 9:35 am
Original Poster

It's killing me... another seat just opened up on SFO LHR (meaning vacated on seat map) so there are 6 empty seats on the flight I want. 6!! The Flight is F7, J9 on expertflyer. Since my partner is on that flight while I'm on the long trek with stop in PHL, I'l let you know if they end up flying empty seats.

Maddening.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
It's killing me... another seat just opened up on SFO LHR (meaning vacated on seat map) so there are 6 empty seats on the flight I want. 6!! The Flight is F7, J9 on expertflyer.
Not that any of that means that the First cabin will have any empty seats on the day.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Not that any of that means that the First cabin will have any empty seats on the day.
The load in all cabins is quite light. But yes, perhaps they will sell a million tickets between now and Monday, or evacuate the entire island of Puerto Rico using this plane. Aside from that, I predict empty seats in all cabins.
710 77345 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.