Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA seeks to close NAPS pension scheme

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2017, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by Swampz64
BA cannot continue with this millstone around its neck, that's why thousands of companies have taken the same action.
There are always choices.

It's also funny that the expectations of shareholders are never referred to as a millstone...
Old Sep 7, 2017, 2:49 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Sounds like the first sign of a WW strike action to me.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by TravellingSalesman
Great communication. She's saying that not enough money is being paid into the system to keep current commitments, but makes it sound like there are somehow factors at play that could not have been foreseen.
Other DB schemes are in exactly the same boat, like my company's old DB scheme. Schemes have to do funding plans and the markets have not moved in line with the expectations underlying those. Pumping in cash doesn't matter if you have to invest it in money market assets that aren't performing anywhere like as well as expected. The return on those assets at the moment doesn't cover the increase in liabilities e.g. from inflation, increased life expectancy of members and built in pension increases.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold(twice), Hilton Diamond
Angry Envy

Originally Posted by T8191
That sounds sufficiently complicated, and I have zero understanding of modern pension schemes. I assume this is a BA cost-saving measure?
Modern pension schemes? Don't trouble yourself T8191, it only concerns the rest of the population. (I'm well in your age bracket incidentally, but not on a final salary index linked pension, like wot you are).
Old Sep 7, 2017, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Kgmm77
There are always choices.

It's also funny that the expectations of shareholders are never referred to as a millstone...
Whilst paying over £3.5bln into the pension since 2003 (although I cannot find the figures to back this up), BA have made an operating profit of over £8bln, there is plenty of money to contribute but as you say it is down to choices.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by smokie36
Sounds like the first sign of a WW strike action to me.
This is a company wide pension scheme, not one restricted to Worldwide cabin crew.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 4:19 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by 'andad
Modern pension schemes? Don't trouble yourself T8191, it only concerns the rest of the population. (I'm well in your age bracket incidentally, but not on a final salary index linked pension, like wot you are).
Don't forget non-contributory 😉

I'm just envious as well Uncle T!
Old Sep 7, 2017, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
It is probably coming on the back of this decision, which has ramifications for not only pension schemes but everything an employee may have been led to believe by their employer, and that no employee can have any reasonable expectation that anything they are told by their employer is binding:

IBM defined benefit pension scheme changes were not made in bad faith, appeal court rules
jimthewhiz likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 4:54 pm

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
BA is a number of Large Pension schemes with a little Company attached.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
It is probably coming on the back of this decision, which has ramifications for not only pension schemes but everything an employee may have been led to believe by their employer, and that no employee can have any reasonable expectation that anything they are told by their employer is binding:

IBM defined benefit pension scheme changes were not made in bad faith, appeal court rules
Excellent link, thanks for posting.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I don't think that this is appropriate for discussion on this forum.

how would some posters like having their pension arrangements talked about in this way?
Old Sep 7, 2017, 5:18 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by icegirl
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41193122

Could there be an impending strike on the horizon?
I'm not sure how this was intended?! But wow! Another strike? How many and how long have these strikes (rightly so in many cases) been going on for?
Old Sep 7, 2017, 8:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
I'm not sure how this was intended?! But wow! Another strike? How many and how long have these strikes (rightly so in many cases) been going on for?
And as is often the caee with these long running disputes, those affected by them have long since forgotten what the issue is and usually don't care anyway.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 12:01 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
I don't think that this is appropriate for discussion on this forum.

how would some posters like having their pension arrangements talked about in this way?
Wouldn't bother me in the slightest. I think mine is projected to pay me about £1000 a year
Silver Fox and Calchas like this.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
Depends on the depth of feeling.A pilots strike would be far more damaging than the recent mixed fleet strike.Thomas Cook pilots have a 12 hour strike today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.