Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unexpected car hire charge by Avis

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2017, 12:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Called Avis CS this morning... all I can say is WOW!

He listened to my description of what happened and agreed completely that I should not have been charged anything extra. He has taken it on himself to resolve this issue, apologised and said he will keep me informed by email on progress. He is totally certain I should not have been charged extra!

He attitude was simply superb.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 7:05 pm

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
Called Avis CS this morning... all I can say is WOW!

He listened to my description of what happened and agreed completely that I should not have been charged anything extra. He has taken it on himself to resolve this issue, apologised and said he will keep me informed by email on progress. He is totally certain I should not have been charged extra!

He attitude was simply superb.
Good to hear lets hope he gets it sorted out!
Old Sep 23, 2017, 8:24 am

We have an Avis booking that was made through BA and paid in full. When collecting the car there was a balance due - around $60 - that the Avis clerk could not fully explain and suggested could be due to currency fluctuations since when I booked it to now, as I paid in GBP. I should have challenged further but we were in a hurry to collect so I will take it up with BA holidays when I return home. Be interesting to see what they say as from reading this it seems a common thing to add on unspecified vague charges...
Old Sep 23, 2017, 9:46 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by UTFB
suggested could be due to currency fluctuations since when I booked it to now
If this is the case (it probably isn't) then Avis should be refunding people half of the time.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by UTFB
We have an Avis booking that was made through BA and paid in full. When collecting the car there was a balance due - around $60 - that the Avis clerk could not fully explain and suggested could be due to currency fluctuations since when I booked it to now, as I paid in GBP. I should have challenged further but we were in a hurry to collect so I will take it up with BA holidays when I return home. Be interesting to see what they say as from reading this it seems a common thing to add on unspecified vague charges...
Per above, just go direct to Avis
Old Sep 23, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
deleted

Last edited by ahmetdouas; Nov 10, 2017 at 11:45 am
Old Oct 31, 2017, 9:50 am

Programs: UA Gold
I had a couple of Avis reservations this year because they were far cheaper than my usual Hertz - neither was trouble free.
I had a pre-paid Avis Preferred rental, dropped the car off only to find out later that I had additional charges levied. When I examined the receipt in detail (I wasn't given one at the time of drop-off) I deduced that the problem occurred because they treated my GBP pre-paid amount as USD and charged me the difference!
Old Oct 31, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: BAEC - Gold
We have an Avis booking in the USA in March 18. It was due for collection on landing. I was worried I might not be able to drive the car on landing (first First, so likely to indulge!) and BA confirmed with Avis that it would be ok for me to go back to the airport and collect it within 24hrs of the arranged pickup.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 2:12 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by RossUK666
I had a couple of Avis reservations this year because they were far cheaper than my usual Hertz - neither was trouble free.
I had a pre-paid Avis Preferred rental, dropped the car off only to find out later that I had additional charges levied. When I examined the receipt in detail (I wasn't given one at the time of drop-off) I deduced that the problem occurred because they treated my GBP pre-paid amount as USD and charged me the difference!
I had similar, but not exactly the same, problem with a BA/Avis hire this summer. Complaints to Avis were ignored. Section 75 claim to Halifax got the amount refunded within a week or so.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

I am still in dispute with Avis over this.

3 times now they have said they would get back to me within a week and 3 times now they haven't. When I call I find the case is closed so I get them to reopen it only to find it closed next time I contact them... all without them contacting me at all.

I have had enough now. I am going to make a Section 75 claim.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 10:16 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Not with Avis, but when a returned a car (Nissan Rogue 2WD) after a 12 days prepaid rental out of Denver, Thrifty hit me with an $8000 upgrade charge.

The guy in the lot caught it and took me inside where a manager got it removed. Turns out a worker had parked the car in the wrong row. The key fob said B4 on it, and it was parked in row B, which is where I was told to select from. Some of the Hyundai compact sedans were around the same size, so I didn't think much of it.

Scary to think you can mistakenly "self-upgrade" and take the wrong car and get hit with a charge like that on the return.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 1:06 am

Programs: BA Silver, PR Elite, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Diamond Ambassador
Not had a problem with Avis now for several years - with 5 to 10 rentals per year. Leeway on return - to franchisees who know me, even a minor bump. But was warned by a UK franchisee back in August - after complaining about a messed up booking - that the competent team leader at Avis UK had recently left.

Just had a credit card debit for about £2 and another relatively enormous one for what I guess is 10-15L fuel at MAN. Mea culpa in the second case but the small one on a prepaid booking is irritating but not worth a call or letter

Consumer Rights Act 2015 may be the way to go to stop Avis wasting time and gouging

Consumer Rights Act 2015

Last edited by Modo; Nov 1, 2017 at 1:08 am Reason: Typo - freudian
Old Nov 2, 2017, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

The travel Gods must be happy with me because I received an email today from Avis Customer Service informing me that they are refunding my £900+.

It is a bit weird though...

Just as a recap (for those not remembering the start of the thread)... I was informed by Avis I had a 15hr grace period to pick up a rental. Well, it appears that the 15hr grace period does exist. They will hold a booking for 15hrs after the original booked pick up time before releasing the car back to the pool. What they failed to tell me was that although they will hold the car they don't hold the rate. The rate can change!

It would have been nice to have been told that my rate may significantly change if I pick up the car late.

Never mind... lesson learned... for both me and hopefully Avis!
Old Nov 2, 2017, 11:47 pm

Programs: Mucci, FB Gold, Skywards, MK Kestrel Flyer, BA Gold, M&M FF, UU Capricorne, ACCOR Gold
I rented a car through BA/AVIS this summer in the UK.

Whilst parked outside my parents house the I noticed the car had a flat tyre. Looked in the boot for the spare and the jack. Nothing whatsoever, everything had been removed. I phoned AVIS to report and was told it was current practice and was put in touch with a 'rescue' company. The rescue company was great and the tyre was repaired within 30 minutes.

Two months later I received the bill for the tyre repair (£250) of which a large proportion (£110) was a "call-out fee". How on earth can they justify taking all of the spares out of their cars and then charging you a call out fee when you are obliged to use their rescue service is beyond me.

I got the bill refunded through Amex, who were great.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyphilrun
I rented a car through BA/AVIS this summer in the UK.

Whilst parked outside my parents house the I noticed the car had a flat tyre. Looked in the boot for the spare and the jack. Nothing whatsoever, everything had been removed. I phoned AVIS to report and was told it was current practice and was put in touch with a 'rescue' company. The rescue company was great and the tyre was repaired within 30 minutes.

Two months later I received the bill for the tyre repair (£250) of which a large proportion (£110) was a "call-out fee". How on earth can they justify taking all of the spares out of their cars and then charging you a call out fee when you are obliged to use their rescue service is beyond me.

I got the bill refunded through Amex, who were great.
I cant talk about all cars, my latest Merc doesnt have a spare tyre. Many car companies are like that these days. Car tyre £250 sounds a bigger tyre, a sort of friend put a screw into my tyre last week £300 tyre.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.