Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Hurricane Irma and Jose Sept 2017 - BA rebooking and refund options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2017, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Location: Miami Beach FL, Philadelphia PA, and Oxfordshire UK
Programs: BA Gold, AA Executive Platinum, PriorityPass, Global Entry, Marriott Platinum

Hey everyone,
BA has finally put some rebooking options up for likely disruption due to Hurricane Irma for MIA, FLL, MCO and other Caribbean destinations for the next few days.

I was lucky-ish, as I called yesterday morning, and no official policy was in place, so a change fee would be charged, and reward space availability dependent. I called again in the afternoon (UK time) as I was due to fly to MIA at the weekend and nothing had been officially said online, despite a high probability of the storm hitting South Florida, and they rebooked me onto any service (same cabin space available, whatever the reward availability) - which was great considering I was on a 241 in F, and it really helped me out. So thanks for BA for doing the rebooking!!

Everyone thinks I'm crazy, but I live in Miami Beach, and I need to get home to basically get my house secured, hopefully in a day, before leaving again.... somewhere safe.

So just thought I'd share - in case it is any use to anyone flying to South Florida or the Caribbean in the next few days.

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...b?p_faqid=5987

(Apologies if already posted - I did search - please merge if already posted)
LadyPenelope likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 2:11 pm

Programs: HH Gold, BAEC Silver, M&M FTL
Currently in MCO due to fly MCO-LGW on Monday. I'm thinking of changing this to Weds ideally which seems to be no problem with BA. However, I'm sort of seeing this as an opportunity to escape CW and would rather do MCO-JFK-LHR with American. Did this seem like something they'd facilitate when you called, or is it original routing only?

Cheers!!
Old Sep 6, 2017, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA Executive Platinum, PriorityPass, Global Entry, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by shobday96
Currently in MCO due to fly MCO-LGW on Monday. I'm thinking of changing this to Weds ideally which seems to be no problem with BA. However, I'm sort of seeing this as an opportunity to escape CW and would rather do MCO-JFK-LHR with American. Did this seem like something they'd facilitate when you called, or is it original routing only?

Cheers!!
I was on a 241, which technically reduced me to BA metal only - I actually didn't ask about flying on AA, as they gave me any (well 207 or 209) BA flight I wanted, regardless of award availability.
I don't know how BA handle that kind of query. Maybe someone with knowledge might answer, as it could be useful for a future disruption like this.

I would ask anyway, worst answer is the one you don't want - the agent didn't blink when I said it was a reward ticket.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 3:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
I'm booked to fly from LHR to PTY (Panama City) via MIA on Tuesday, all booked on a BA 'R' business class fare. LHR-MIA is on BA metal and MIA-PTY is operated by AA with a BA code. AA contacted me via email to say there is a waiver to rebook MIA-PTY if I want to, and now the BA website is saying I can rebook LHR-MIA on the 12th if I want. So my problem is I still want to arrive in PTY on the 12th, but I don't care where I connect via as long as I get there. But obviously I want to stay in business class and stay on OW metal to get the points. I initially thought connecting via MAD onto the Iberia service to PTY direct would be an option but this seems to be sold out in business class on the 12th. Anyone got any suggestions as to how I can get rebooked to PTY on the 12th without connecting in MIA, but still using OW carriers? Thanks!
Old Sep 6, 2017, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Jet Ranger
Hey everyone,
BA has finally put some rebooking options up for likely disruption due to Hurricane Irma for MIA, FLL, MCO and other Caribbean destinations for the next few days.

I was lucky-ish, as I called yesterday morning, and no official policy was in place, so a change fee would be charged, and reward space availability dependent. I called again in the afternoon (UK time) as I was due to fly to MIA at the weekend and nothing had been officially said online, despite a high probability of the storm hitting South Florida, and they rebooked me onto any service (same cabin space available, whatever the reward availability) - which was great considering I was on a 241 in F, and it really helped me out. So thanks for BA for doing the rebooking!!

Everyone thinks I'm crazy, but I live in Miami Beach, and I need to get home to basically get my house secured, hopefully in a day, before leaving again.... somewhere safe.

So just thought I'd share - in case it is any use to anyone flying to South Florida or the Caribbean in the next few days.

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...b?p_faqid=5987

(Apologies if already posted - I did search - please merge if already posted)
What MIA flight were you on? I'm on the 209 on Saturday, which I am not expecting to fly.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Starship73
I'm booked to fly from LHR to PTY (Panama City) via MIA on Tuesday, all booked on a BA 'R' business class fare. LHR-MIA is on BA metal and MIA-PTY is operated by AA with a BA code. AA contacted me via email to say there is a waiver to rebook MIA-PTY if I want to, and now the BA website is saying I can rebook LHR-MIA on the 12th if I want. So my problem is I still want to arrive in PTY on the 12th, but I don't care where I connect via as long as I get there. But obviously I want to stay in business class and stay on OW metal to get the points. I initially thought connecting via MAD onto the Iberia service to PTY direct would be an option but this seems to be sold out in business class on the 12th. Anyone got any suggestions as to how I can get rebooked to PTY on the 12th without connecting in MIA, but still using OW carriers? Thanks!
Your problem is going to be that it appears IB and AA are the only OW carriers that fly to PTY and AA only flies there from MIA. You could try getting rebooked to an airport as close as possible in the US or central America and then get rebooked on a non-oneworld carrier from there losing only the points for the short flight (assuming you can't get ORC after the fact).
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
PTY has only 2 routes into it on oneworld, MAD and MIA, looking at the oneworld Online Timetable. San José in Costa Rica has many more options, but that will probably fall into the so-near-so-far category.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by rossmacd
What MIA flight were you on? I'm on the 209 on Saturday, which I am not expecting to fly.
AA has cancelled most of its schedule to/from south Florida starting Friday morning. I would not expect anyone to be flying to south Florida this weekend.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Anyone got any suggestions as to how I can get rebooked to PTY on the 12th without connecting in MIA, but still using OW carriers? Thanks!
The short answer is that AA only fly to PTY from MIA and IB only from MAD, with no other joint business or even oneworld airlines flying to PTY.

You'll either need to push your flights back a day or two, or stick with MIA on the 12th and hope for the best.

You won't get booked any other airlines unless your flights are actually cancelled while you're at the airport on the day of travel, and even then option are going to be limited with all the disruption around MIA.

The MAD connection might be the next best option, depending on availability.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: HH Gold, BAEC Silver, M&M FTL
Originally Posted by shobday96

Cheers!!
Quick update, got through to the Indian call centre eventually. Very helpful guy who changed me to the American flights no problem, seemed like they were being very flexible with regards to rebooking people even from Orlando so can imagine they'll be even more so from places like Miami and the Caribbean.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96
AA has cancelled most of its schedule to/from south Florida starting Friday morning. I would not expect anyone to be flying to south Florida this weekend.
Yes I am aware. My onward connection to Central America is now cancelled so I guess it is a case of waiting to be rebooked by the airport team, since we know BA phone agents have no empowerment to make alternative arrangements.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

209 on Friday - I would say - don't expect it to fly (I'm just guessing - I'm not a BA flight ops pro) - I'm monitoring a ton of resources and tropical storm force winds might start affecting the Miami area from Friday evening onwards.

Last edited by Jet Ranger; Sep 6, 2017 at 4:29 pm Reason: Update more info
Old Sep 6, 2017, 4:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by wrp96
Master PtF and friend are flying AA68 LAX MIA Thursday, ETA MIA 1540hrs - connecting respectively to QR778 MIA DOH and BA208 MIA LHR Thursday evening. Looks like they will get out of south Florida just in time - but having previously lived in NAS and CHS and seen what hurricanes can do my thoughts are with those in the hurricane's path.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 8:54 pm

Yes I am aware. My onward connection to Central America is now cancelled so I guess it is a case of waiting to be rebooked by the airport team, since we know BA phone agents have no empowerment to make alternative arrangements.
Very surprising that BA have actually rebooked my itinerary instead of going into MIA, now into IAH then onwards with UA. BA has never rerouted me prior to travel on a carrier outside of OW, but it seems with a gentle prod on this occasion helped. Regardless, I get to my destination only 55mins later than expected ^
Old Sep 7, 2017, 5:08 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Just to close this off, saw this morning a seat had become available for the MAD-PTY leg, rang BA, and they rebooked me via MAD rather than MIA at no cost. Great service and problem solved!
Jimmie76, SimonsMiles and JAXBA like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.