Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Disabled man deprived me (Silver) of blocked middle seat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2017, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, BA Silver

Pre check-in

I am Silver and the system allocated me 5C in first row of Euro Traveller. I believe 5B was blocked because 5A was a Gold.

Upon boarding

5A, 5C, 5E, 5F (and in Club Europe 4A, 4C, 4F) were occupied.
The guy in 5C said that he was meant to be in 5D but needed the aisle space for his right leg which was in a bandage thing. So I had to sit in 5D.

Other outcomes?

How would a seasoned Flyertalker make the most of this situation? Invite staff to find me another aisle seat next to an empty one? Plead for upgrade to 4D in Club? Try to get the Gold in 5A an upgrade into 4D so I could have 5A? Ask for a free G&T?
Old Sep 3, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: Mucci des Epices Exotiques, BAEC Gold,EK Gold,SPG,Marriott,Club Carlson
Are you being serious? Sit in 5D and enjoy the flight.
Tobias-UK, jhjunc, Roger and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Wanderlust888
How would a seasoned Flyertalker make the most of this situation? Invite staff to find me another aisle seat next to an empty one? Plead for upgrade to 4D in Club? Try to get the Gold in 5A an upgrade into 4D so I could have 5A? Ask for a free G&T?
None of the above. Move on with life, and hope that the gent's injury/condition improves.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
This has to be a joke!
Roger likes this.
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Ehm, sit in 5D and that's about it.
Wanderlust888 and Roger like this.

Is 5D not an isle seat?

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Did your boarding pass say 5C or 5D?
Old Sep 3, 2017, 2:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Pre check-in

I am Silver and the system allocated me 5C in first row of Euro Traveller. I believe 5B was blocked because 5A was a Gold.

Upon boarding

The guy in 5C said that he was meant to be in 5D but needed the aisle space for his right leg which was in a bandage thing. So I had to sit in 5D.

Other outcomes?

Who had a boarding pass for 5C? In fact, are you sure he even had a boarding pass for 5D versus poaching a seat in row 5 when he had been assigned a middle in the last row?
Old Sep 3, 2017, 2:06 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
I really hope the disabled man deprives you of more in life to be frank. How disgusting do you have to be to post on this forum these days?
Roger likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
And a sick joke.
Roger likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 2:10 pm

Pre check-in

Upon boarding

Other outcomes?

I can certainly understand the frustration since a need for additional space for a bandaged leg was well known long before check-in and boarding, and it shouldn't have taken until you were in your seat to find out you needed to move.

But regardless you would've been told, not asked, to move for a disabled passenger.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Many people around the world deal with health issues on a daily basis. Things that a normal person can do, can often cause pain to them. people with hidden health problems are discriminated daily as a result. You just have to see the people parking in a disabled parking space without correct badge to see people intentionally hurt people without a thought to them.

Posts like this dont help anyone at any time.
GadgetGal and Roger like this.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 2:14 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

FT tonight is like a novel I can't put down.... It's past 3am where I am, and I need to go to sleep! Then this comes along
TheJayHatch likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 2:14 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
I'm confused...

You had a BP for 5C (aisle seat) and ended up in 5D (aisle seat, same row).

So what ?

EDIT: now I see, on "your" side of the aisle the middle seat was free but when you moved it was occupied. Welcome to my world where even as a GGL my elbows get cosy more often than not with a pax in B or E... And in any case you were only surfing on A's status so suck it up
Wanderlust888 likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 2:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by theddo
I can certainly understand the frustration since a need for additional space for a bandaged leg was well known long before check-in and boarding, and it shouldn't have taken until you were in your seat to find out you needed to move.

But regardless you would've been told, not asked, to move for a disabled passenger.
The OP was *told* to move by a fellow passenger, not airline staff. For all we know, the disabled man had been told by BA to take an aisle seat in a different row. In addition, he might have had a boarding pass for a totally different row; there's no proof here that his assigned seat was in row 5. If BA wants to tell (order) the OP to switch seats with another passenger, either a staff/crew member should communicate this to the OP or the OP should have been given a new boarding pass with a different seat number (and ideally both of these things should have happened). Otherwise, OP still "owns" the original seat on the boarding pass and can decide/choose whether or not to swap seats with another passenger for any reason (or no reason at all).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.