Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New Club World Service 2017 - catering and bedding – experiences and reactions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2018, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: makin'miles
New Club World Service 2017

Effective July 6, 2018, new bedding products expected to be on all Club World flights, worldwide (including LHR, LGW and LCY services).

New catering and bedding

Routes on which the new catering and bedding are in operation.
Launched October 2017
London Heathrow - New York JFK
Launched February 2018 (all from London Heathrow LHR):
Boston (BOS), Baltimore (BWI), Dubai (DXB), Newark (EWR), Philadelphia (PHL), Washington (IAD), Hong Kong (HKG)
Launched March 2018 (LHR)
San Francisco (SFO), Los Angeles (LAX), San Josι (SJC), San Diego (SAN). Las Vegas (LAS), Phoenix (PHX), Seychelles (SEZ from 25 March)
Launched 4 April 2018 (LHR)
Houston (IAH), Miami (MIA), Dallas Fort Worth (DFW), New Orleans (MSY).
Launched 1 May 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched on DEN, ATL, SEA, YVR)
Denver (DEN), Atlanta (ATL), Austin (AUS), Nassau-Grand Cayman (NAS-GCM), Seattle (SEA), Vancouver (YVR), Calgary (YYC), Nashville (BNA)
Launched 17 May 2018 (LHR) - (Catering previously launched on ORD, YUL, YYZ)
Toronto (YYZ), Montrιal (YUL), Chicago (ORD)
Launched 1 July 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched on CPT, JNB, SIN, SIN-SYD)
Cape Town (CPT), Johannesburg (JNB), Singapore (SIN), Singapore-Sydney (SIN-SYD)
Launched 1 August 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Abu Dhabi (AUH), Bahrain (BAH)
Launched 1 September 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Delhi (DEL), Kuwait (KWI), Muscat (MCT)
Launched 1 October 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Buenos Aires (EZE), Jeddah (JED), Mexico City (MEX), Rio de Janeiro (GIG), Riyadh (RUH), Santiago (SCL), Sao Paulo (GRU), Tokyo Haneda (HND), Tokyo Narita (NRT)
Launched 28 October 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Abuja (ABV), Accra (ACC), Bangkok (BKK), Bangalore (BLR), Beijing (PEK), Chennai (MAA), Hyderabad (HYD), Kuala Lumpur (KUL), Lagos (LOS), Mumbai (BOM), Nairobi (NBO), Shanghai (PVG)

Launched 2018
London City (LCY) - New York (JFK)

Bedding only routes (as of 31 May 2018)
Bedding now launched on all LHR services
AMM, BEY, CAI, DME, DOH, ICN, IKA, LAD, TLV (IKA and LAD routes subsequently terminated; catering on remaining LHR routes expected to launch in December 2018).

LGW routes: White Company products expected to be on all LGW flights effective 06 July 2018, at which time all Club World routes worldwide will feature the new bedding product (see post 1367). Reports that new bedding loaded on LGW-JFK in late June (see post 1349).
Print Wikipost

New Club World Service 2017 - catering and bedding – experiences and reactions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2018, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Can I help you
From July 1st, the new Club World service will be launching on the Johannesburg, Cape town, Singapore and Singapore/Sydney routes.
For clarity, only ex-LHR, I assume (as per Wiki).

I won’t hold my breath for LGW-CPT in Dec. Opinion seems to be early 2019 at best, according to the Wiki. Damn!
Old Jul 1, 2018, 6:31 am

I cannot find any launch date for HND/NRT, does this confirm it is not planned yet please?
I am about to book a December trip to Australia and I cannot decide between two itineraries, one via out of Paris via Hong Kong with CX flights on the 4 segments or one out of London via Tokyo with JL for the first 3 segments, ending with a BA one back to London. I must admit I am very hesitating, JAL being very tempting but the BA CW as it was before seems way overpriced and not such a nice experience for such a long journey; though testing the new Club service might be interesting! Thanks!
Old Jul 1, 2018, 8:04 am

No, it does not appear that BA have announced a date for the new catering on HND/NRT. That said, at the pace they have been launching, I would guess that these two routes will have the new catering well before December.

That said, personally I'd make the decision on hard product (the seat) rather than the catering provision and opt for CX, price and journey length being nearly the same.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 8:54 am

Shame they haven't gone for a different seat layout, I can't stand that club world seat layout. (Even more so when the divider between the two opposite facing seats is broken)
Old Jul 2, 2018, 8:38 am

Two CW flights in the last few days. Very positive experiences. Granted this was on JFK so crew are experienced and Do & Co supply catering.

LHR-JFK afternoon departure. Service was spotless. On par with recent F flights (also very good). Saffer lady looking after me. Food was well presented and of good size. Tasty.
New pillow huge difference. One can pad the bed more now with the quilt and then use the blanket.
Was on one of the oldest 52Js but felt fresh, spoilt and happy arriving at JFK.

JFK-LHR last night. As above. Didn’t eat as plan was to sleep. Eventually rumbling was strong and insomnia kicked in. Had the soup which was delicious!

If they can roll this out somewhat consistently then things are looking up. However... Do & Co is JFK only. Crew said that catering on the other routes is basically pants...
And the service takes ages, especially for MF teams.

Old Jul 2, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Petrus

If they can roll this out somewhat consistently then things are looking up. However... Do & Co is JFK only. Crew said that catering on the other routes is basically pants...
And the service takes ages, especially for MF teams.

Good to see that they can get it so right when they really want to. And were I a LHR-JFK regular (which I’m not ....), I reckon I could book CW with plenty of confidence.

It’s on the myriad of other routes where things are so very inconsistent, and far less certain - as highlighted in your closing comments. And I guess therein lies the ongoing problem : you could very possibly enjoy a great experience ; but you could equallly end your flight feeling very disappointed.

Old Jul 2, 2018, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The sainted LHR-JFK strikes again!

I’m getting really tired of hearing about how wonderful that route is, when BA oax paying for premium cabins ex-LGW are still waiting to see any actual enhancements. I woukd have thought the holiday trade deserved a bit better, otherwise the pax might choose a different carrier.
AmaaiZeg and TWCLAM like this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by T8191

I’m getting really tired of hearing about how wonderful that route is, when BA oax paying for premium cabins ex-LGW are still waiting to see any actual enhancements. I woukd have thought the holiday trade deserved a bit better, otherwise the pax might choose a different carrier.
It is not as good as made out here - it just came from such a low base therefore passengers are impressed with positive change.. If anything, I still take AA to JFK, since the hard product is so far superior. You can keep the bedding, food and crockery - all I care about is the seat. Granted, I take BA on the opposite direction for sleep purposes - something AA cannot get right.

On the other hand, if BA roll-out a truly new stunning J hard product, then I will be flying with them to JFK. Until then, I will use AA from LHR-JFK.
Petrus, jp_fin, T8191 and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd
It is not as good as made out here - it just came from such a low base therefore passengers are impressed with positive change.. If anything, I still take AA to JFK, since the hard product is so far superior. You can keep the bedding, food and crockery - all I care about is the seat. Granted, I take BA on the opposite direction for sleep purposes - something AA cannot get right.

On the other hand, if BA roll-out a truly new stunning J hard product, then I will be flying with them to JFK. Until then, I will use AA from LHR-JFK.
oh I agree with these sentiments. As you say, it was pretty bad not so long ago.
AA is a no-brainer especially with far better lounge options at T3 and the hard product.
rossmacd likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’ll take AA TATL any day, even though we don’t go via JFK.

Ex-DUB we’ve had outstanding crew, dceent food and a much better seat in J.
rossmacd likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 6:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Can anyone advise if there is a full trolley dinner service on the late evening DXB flights -BA 105 and BA 109 or are they like a sleeper style service that runs on JFK flights? Also do they serve breakfast in the morning prior to arrival or not due to the shorter length?

The reason I ask is that in the next sale I will be booking with my parents and they never go business so would prefer they get the full club meal service etc to enjoy at the start of the holiday.

Thanks for any info.

Last edited by Neilgcal; Jul 3, 2018 at 1:35 am
Old Jul 3, 2018, 12:08 am
GLA

Programs: BA VS
I’ll take AA TATL any day, even though we don’t go via JFK.

Ex-DUB we’ve had outstanding crew, dceent food and a much better seat in J.
This is such a personal thing! We have done AA on our last two summer trips in J. We found the seat on the A330 to be *really* uncomfortable. Crew were good but so are most BA crews. The only thing we will miss will be the ice cream sundae! Really looking forward to trying the new CW service to BWI this Saturday.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 3:41 am

Programs: BA Bronze
I have had the new CW service a few times between LHR-JFK-LHR but I have always had the same menu having travelled in Sept/Dec/Mar my next BA is in December - can anybody tell me if the 3 monthly menu rotations stay the same year in/year out ?
Old Jul 3, 2018, 4:13 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business

Yep can't agree enough. When this was all suggested they said that the densified LGW 777s would be the 1st for the LGW's and the given timeline way back then meant that I had a more than reasonable chance for the new catering and bedding for our CW LGW-PUJ at the beginning of September this year. Of course with them failing to allow for teething issues in any sensible way I doubt we'll even see new bedding let alone the improved catering and trolley service. It appears that LGW-JFK has finally got it's new bedding on the LHW-JFK route( post #1349) but LGW-PUJ was on the list for one of the 1st to be scheduled for this and from what people are saying it's doubtful it will appear this year let alone in the next couple of months.

When we factor in the big deal BA made about Do & Co catering being introduced which then got dropped to to the LHR-JFK route only and that Do & Co would only be advising not providing meals across the network I guess it was to be expected.

Please dont get me wrong those of us who have LGW as our home airport are more than used to playing 2nd fiddle to LHR it's always been that way and alway will be but at over £5k for one trip it would be nice if BA at least gave the impression my money & custom was at least slightly important to them. I know that it's a drop in the ocean for them( and possibly for some on FT) but it's by far the biggest single expense I've ever paid out on travel in my life & it might've been nice to see them introduce the changes more evenly spread. With the densification of the LGW 777 fleet the whole idea was to get the new bedding and catering in place for those flights to encourage pax to go for the higher product & with an outdated and nowadays low quality hard product the new soft product is the best way to encourage that and have pax repeat the experience. As this increases BA's revenue considerably they're shooting themselves in the foot. As an example our planned trip to BKK next year will probably be on another OW carrier because we're bored of waiting for things promised that just never materialise ( or are a year odd later than BA made out they would be).

Over promising and under delivering has never been a sensible business move. Classing a whole airport's worth of pax, especially FF's, as 2nd class citizens of no consequence or interest definitely isn't.

Rant ends!
T8191 likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 5:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Now come on TWCLAM ......don’t sit on the fence ! Tell us what you really think of BA’s product out of LGW
wrp96, mikeyfly and TWCLAM like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.