Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New Club World Service 2017 - catering and bedding – experiences and reactions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2018, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: makin'miles
New Club World Service 2017

Effective July 6, 2018, new bedding products expected to be on all Club World flights, worldwide (including LHR, LGW and LCY services).

New catering and bedding

Routes on which the new catering and bedding are in operation.
Launched October 2017
London Heathrow - New York JFK
Launched February 2018 (all from London Heathrow LHR):
Boston (BOS), Baltimore (BWI), Dubai (DXB), Newark (EWR), Philadelphia (PHL), Washington (IAD), Hong Kong (HKG)
Launched March 2018 (LHR)
San Francisco (SFO), Los Angeles (LAX), San José (SJC), San Diego (SAN). Las Vegas (LAS), Phoenix (PHX), Seychelles (SEZ from 25 March)
Launched 4 April 2018 (LHR)
Houston (IAH), Miami (MIA), Dallas Fort Worth (DFW), New Orleans (MSY).
Launched 1 May 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched on DEN, ATL, SEA, YVR)
Denver (DEN), Atlanta (ATL), Austin (AUS), Nassau-Grand Cayman (NAS-GCM), Seattle (SEA), Vancouver (YVR), Calgary (YYC), Nashville (BNA)
Launched 17 May 2018 (LHR) - (Catering previously launched on ORD, YUL, YYZ)
Toronto (YYZ), Montréal (YUL), Chicago (ORD)
Launched 1 July 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched on CPT, JNB, SIN, SIN-SYD)
Cape Town (CPT), Johannesburg (JNB), Singapore (SIN), Singapore-Sydney (SIN-SYD)
Launched 1 August 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Abu Dhabi (AUH), Bahrain (BAH)
Launched 1 September 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Delhi (DEL), Kuwait (KWI), Muscat (MCT)
Launched 1 October 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Buenos Aires (EZE), Jeddah (JED), Mexico City (MEX), Rio de Janeiro (GIG), Riyadh (RUH), Santiago (SCL), Sao Paulo (GRU), Tokyo Haneda (HND), Tokyo Narita (NRT)
Launched 28 October 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Abuja (ABV), Accra (ACC), Bangkok (BKK), Bangalore (BLR), Beijing (PEK), Chennai (MAA), Hyderabad (HYD), Kuala Lumpur (KUL), Lagos (LOS), Mumbai (BOM), Nairobi (NBO), Shanghai (PVG)

Launched 2018
London City (LCY) - New York (JFK)

Bedding only routes (as of 31 May 2018)
Bedding now launched on all LHR services
AMM, BEY, CAI, DME, DOH, ICN, IKA, LAD, TLV (IKA and LAD routes subsequently terminated; catering on remaining LHR routes expected to launch in December 2018).

LGW routes: White Company products expected to be on all LGW flights effective 06 July 2018, at which time all Club World routes worldwide will feature the new bedding product (see post 1367). Reports that new bedding loaded on LGW-JFK in late June (see post 1349).
Print Wikipost

New Club World Service 2017 - catering and bedding – experiences and reactions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2018, 6:18 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
@UKFlyboy I hope you have given that feedback to BA as well. Issues with service, especially the very poor service you received, needs to be sent to BA so that they are aware of the problems customers face.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by UKFlyboy
Wouldn't it make more sense to just have the pillow on the seat initially or bedding passed out after departure. Blanket is nice. Seat topper-thing is so thin we agreed made absolutely no difference to comfort of the seat
I accept that this was your feeling and that your friends agree, but to give a counter-perspective, whilst I agree that the mattress topping is average and we would very much prefer a full length (and ideally thicker) one, both my partner and myself consider that it does make a big difference to our sleep comfort even in this insufficient form. For one thing, I always hate the idea of putting my face on a seat which cleanliness I am unsure about and a mattress topper (or for that matter even a sheet a la OS) means a lot to me and I wouldn't want BA to think that they can enhance it away.

With regards to your question on where to place the bedding, I suspect that there is no way to please everyone, but personally, I always use the day blanket already during take off so I prefer to find the bedding in my seat in the first instance so I can open it and use what I already want before putting the rest of the bedding aside in the initial flight phase. I'd add that in the cases of the 388 and 744 UD windows, "where" you want to put the bedding in that phase also depends on people. Some will put it up in the overheads, but others will prefer to keep it in the side window side box to have it at hand. Last but not least, it is easier to compress bedding stuff than hardshell suitcases! I suspect that if you put it in the overhead to start with, people will see it as a fixed obstacle and waste a lot of space. By contrast, if you have to put it up after actual luggage is in place, you are more likely to make the soft bedding stuff fit wherever there is room! That said, a new seat should definitely find some safe place for the bedding and I agree everything would work a lot better. Airlines like QR have good storage compartments for bedding within individual seats and that makes everything a lot easier!
Old Mar 25, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: BA
Had the new bedding on BA11 LHR-SIN yesterday (A380)... Don't see SIN mentioned in the wiki.
The mattress topper didn't do much for me, too thin and did not stay in place. Also, just one pillow (white).
Old Mar 25, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Today MCT-LHR CW:
- first, the new MCT airport is great. Seperate Bisiness and First check in and security a breeze.
- nww bedfing is great. Felt öike I am in a real bed.
- new wash bag: a bit small but still better than the old one
- old style catering. Only a breakfast which was great. Recommand the french toasts with syrup and dates. 2nd service consisted of sandwiches and a dessert. Left the plane hungry.
- Club kitchen a huge disappointment. Only calory bombs (chocolates, pop corn or crisps) and fruits. No sandwiches or wraps like with other airlines.
- Coffee only filter. No espresso.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by dujardin
The mattress topper didn't do much for me, too thin and did not stay in place.
Agreed.

Not sure it adds a lot, especially as when I woke up it was all bunched up.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
Originally Posted by dujardin
Had the new bedding on BA11 LHR-SIN yesterday (A380)... Don't see SIN mentioned in the wiki.
The mattress topper didn't do much for me, too thin and did not stay in place. Also, just one pillow (white).
I am going on BA15 (777) on Wednesday. Would love new bedding, but haven’t seen any news on it. Anyone else have experienced it on LHR-SIN?
Old Mar 25, 2018, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
My thoughts from last week's LHR-JFK...this was my first flight with the new setup.
New BA Club World Service: LHR-JFK (w/pics) - Airliners.net
Old Mar 26, 2018, 1:37 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club, Flying Blue
IAD (washington dulles) new catering/bedding club world

Hey folks, Here's my take on the new catering and bedding.
Flew a return to Washington Dulles last week in Club World on the 787 for the first time.
I liked the new bedding a lot , I think its a big improvement. The pillow is great, so much better. The mattress
pad is small but better than nothing. The duvet is very nice, again much better than the old version.
Well done BA! A REAL improvement, thank you !

The new catering was a bit mixed. The drinks service takes much, much too long and half a gin and tonic isn't worth the walk from the
galley. Go back to the trolley for drinks please. The "nuts" ( a sweet and sickly confection) served with the drink were awful, bring pack proper nuts please.
There was new catering on board, but apparently not the trolly to serve the starters in the cabin, so the crew struggled with the delivery. Not their
fault at all, but made the service quite slow. The starters are a triumph of presentation over taste, but main courses quite a lot better than before. Dessert and cheese (both!) is great too and nice quality.

As for the 787 ? My first 787 flights. Nice new (clean!) aircraft. Quiet and much better than 777. The toilets are tiny and have cheap fittings which are already falling apart. Not sure the higher cabin air pressure made a huge amount of difference - but the humidity was much, much better than the desiccated 777.
I still like the old lady 747 though
Old Mar 26, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I had my first opportunity to experience the new CW service on BA 270 from LAS to LHR on Monday 19th March. We were in seats 64J and K on the upper deck. Overall impression was that it was a significant improvement over the previous service but there are some challenges that need to be ironed out. The CSM (who is a lurker here, and who is leaving in a month's time to train as an ATC) stopped by twice, once to introduce himself and subsequently to garner some feedback on the new service.

When we boarded, the new pillow and bedding was already in place on the seats:

There were also new toiletries in the washrooms:

The menu and the breakfast options card along with the washbag were all distributed before departure along with the pre-departure beverage:

In terms of some items that stood out:

The pillow is a massive improvement. There's a lot more substance to it as well as being obviously bigger. Storage for the bedding wasn't an issue as both mine and my partner's went into the window bins. The champagne was very chilled indeed, and the first pour seemed rather stingy although the top-up was a lot more generous. I don't have a problem with the stemless glass.

In terms of the speed of service, I felt this was fine for what is an early evening departure on a 10+ hour sector. The crew were on the 4th flight with the new routine and they coped well. Main course orders were taken and we were told that starters could be chosen from the trolley. The new wine holders were also used.

The nuts were colder than the wine:

In terms of the water glass, it's a little too ornate and heavy as a water glass but better suited for a whisky or similar. That said, it's very nice.

Regarding the food itself, I had the prawns and the soup. My g/f had the salad which she thoroughly enjoyed. She said it was much much better than previous salads, and the dressing was good too. The prawns were excellent. The soup was a massive let-down. It had a good texture and taste but was barely lukewarm. The second attempt was just as bad and I felt as if someone had perhaps added some hot water to it to try and heat it up while simultaneously thinning it out. The soups are apparently brought on board in thermos flasks which are then stored in the chilled trolleys and which cannot be reheated. I expect soup to be piping hot and this was nowhere near hot enough.

The main courses were excellent. I had the salmon and the g/f had the beef. I thought both were nicely presented, there was plenty of flavour, and the texture was good. Neither was cremated:

I didn't have dessert although my g/f did. I don't remember what she had but she said it was excellent.

Wines were pretty good to the point I overindulged and woke up with a sore head.

Sleep was interrupted by the cabin being too hot. The pillow is very good, the duvet far better from the previous offering, and the mattress topper a welcome addition. The eye mask is also a lot better in that I felt it was an improved fit as well as being bigger and better quality.

Breakfast was also much improved. No photos unfortunately but the fruit plate was nicely presented, the croissants were fresh, the juice and smoothie chilled, and the full English (which I didn't have but which my g/f did) looked and (apparently) tasted very good. I didn't feel rushed and the crew were happy to let me doze longer and served me more or less "on demand"

Trying to imagine how I would have felt if this was my first ever Club World flight I would say that I would have been very impressed. The pace of service was very good - I didn't feel at all rushed, nor did I feel that there were significant gaps or pauses between courses. The crew were experienced and did a very good job both in terms of explaining the service but also being receptive to feedback. Apart from the soup there were no glaring errors or omissions. Yes, the wine could have been slightly better chilled and the nuts could have been at room temperature but the overall experience was very good indeed. The quality and presentation of the food has improved over the previous CW incarnation. The bedding is also of a much higher quality and I did sleep well and probably would have slept longer had it not been for the perennial problem of the upper deck being too hot.

Of course, this is just a single flight and my next CW flight isn't until Christmas so it will be interesting to compare and contrast when the time comes. However, for now, I would definitely say that on this flight and with this crew it was almost as good as it gets.
Steph G., jimbobjamest and Kiara like this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks for the detailed feedback

i sent the soup back in F twice on this route in December- the CC explained the thermos issue so surprised/ annoying it’s still occurring
Old Mar 26, 2018, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by Fraser
My thoughts from last week's LHR-JFK...this was my first flight with the new setup.
New BA Club World Service: LHR-JFK (w/pics) - Airliners.net
Very entertaining report, thank you ^

Glad you eventually shook off the annoying husband and wife duo, although maybe not completely as they did add interest to your report!
Old Mar 28, 2018, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Glad you eventually shook off the annoying husband and wife duo
Well, not until I literally walked out the terminal

I don't think they're hiding in my house but can't be sure!
Old Mar 29, 2018, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Catering. Live
JFK, ORD, EWR, IAH, BOS, PHL, BWI​ DXB, YUL, YYZ, HKG, SFO, SAN, LAX, SJC, PHX, LAS​​ and SEZ 25th March.
Currently planned to start in April, no date as yet.
IAH, MIA, DFW, MSY.
Now confirmed to start on the 4th April.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR/GFL
Agree with many of the comments above. Had to feed back to BA, as I flew to JFK a while back and the food took about 3 hours which isn't acceptable on a short long haul flight.

Can't remember main, but chocolate dessert was excellent, and general good pretty good. Multi-bread thing fine, if a little naff! Amenity kit - nice pouch and eye mask is better than F.

The bedding causes a right mess in the cabin, but is a bit better.

Overall better and more luxurious, but feels a little ill thought out at the edges somehow?
Old Mar 29, 2018, 8:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Flying Blue Platinum, Hilton Diamond

Breakfast or sleep, you decide

Confusion with main course no1. Is it beef or lamb or both? Apparently beef with a printing issue.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.