Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Will security at F check-in T5..allow peanut butter?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will security at F check-in T5..allow peanut butter?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2017, 1:51 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Skatering
I had my bag randomly alarm at LCY once, and they went through it trying to find what caused the alarm but couldn't find anything. I had asthma inhalers with me, which she found, put inside my liquid bag, then rescreened said liquid bag and let me go.

It was one of the more blatant examples of security theatre I've seen, but now I know why she did that. I had no idea that gas was a liquid.
Isn't it actually in a liquid form in the inhaler due to the pressure?
Old Aug 27, 2017, 6:14 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Originally Posted by KARFA
Isn't it actually in a liquid form in the inhaler due to the pressure?
There are liquid inhalers, but there is probably more liquid in an apple than a regular inhaler and that would not go in a bag.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Strangely at AMS I managed to leave a can of Red Bull in my hand luggage and only realised when in the lounge.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 2:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Barnaby100
Just smear it all over you body and you will be fine
Old Aug 28, 2017, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Barnaby100
Just smear it all over you body and you will be fine
what if the person sitting next to the OP is allergic to peanuts??
Old Aug 28, 2017, 5:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
metro.co.uk/2017/07/31/marmite-is-the-most-seized-item-at-london-city-airport-because-we-clearly-cant-cope-without-it-6816735/

Aparently Marmite is the most seized item at London City so Marmite were giving out 70g mini jars
Old Aug 28, 2017, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
metro.co.uk/2017/07/31/marmite-is-the-most-seized-item-at-london-city-airport-because-we-clearly-cant-cope-without-it-6816735/

Aparently Marmite is the most seized item at London City so Marmite were giving out 70g mini jars
That's just wrong...

Leave my beloved Marmite alone!!!

Last edited by MrWilliamston; Aug 28, 2017 at 6:50 pm
Old Aug 29, 2017, 12:42 am

Are you travelling to some where where peanut butter is unavailable?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 2:50 am

My pet peeve is deodorant cans, which have traditionally been available at about 175-200ml - i.e. clearly too large for the 100ml limit. You can get the 'travel sized' ones, 25-35ml, but they're extortionately expensive and run out incredibly quickly.

A few years back, in an effort to be "green", the major manufacturers started offering smaller versions of their regular cans, selling them as more concentrated, and lasting as long as the traditional ones but taking less space. Fair enough... but they decided to set the size at 110-125ml - just a smidgen too large for airport security. Argh! Why can't they just do 75-90ml cans?!

(I resigned myself to using a roll on, but because of the vall these take up a lot more space...)
Old Aug 29, 2017, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Faintly OT, so apologies, but ...

I can't think how often I've gone through Security with an airline amenity kit in my carry-on. In fact there's one here on the desk right now that went through DUB and LHR last week. Don't some of the contents qualify as needing to be put in a baggie?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 3:15 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by T8191
. In fact there's one here on the desk right now that went through DUB and LHR last week. Don't some of the contents qualify as needing to be put in a baggie?
They do, and the standard arrival message on BA flights does now say that the content of amenities kits should be transferred to the liquids bag. MF are in the habit of saying this on MAN and ABZ flights, which is amusing. But it's an area where discretion is often used.
T8191 likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Standard deodorant cans in Canada are 113ml for some reason. The UK sells them at 100ml I believe. The tiny ones aren't too expensive at Walmart, I mean twice the price of normal but we're not talking about $100 items here, it depends if you fly six times a week or six times a year.

I've taken the 30-40ml hand gels through in my backpack more times than I can count without issues. After noticing I'd been doing it for months I started leaving it in there. I've also accidentally taken a half bottle of water through twice; and only once did it get flagged up.

For reference, my backpack is opened 90% of the time due to camera gear.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by jc94
Standard deodorant cans in Canada are 113ml for some reason. The UK sells them at 100ml I believe. The tiny ones aren't too expensive at Walmart, I mean twice the price of normal but we're not talking about $100 items here, it depends if you fly six times a week or six times a year.
it's most like they are just matching the US size of 4oz. I find LHR lets them through but DUB and DSA, HUY ask for them to be thrown in the bin as over limit.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
So my sister loves the Cheesecake Factory. Reckon I could get a slice of cheesecake through at DXB?
Old Sep 1, 2017, 1:23 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by VH-RMD
Last trip through LHR my wife got the full search of hand luggage because her lipstick was NOT in the ziplock bag...
So far at LHR - and I am sure that now that I mention it things will change - no one said anything about mascara and a tiny stick of lip gloss inside the hand luggage. Asked two or three different time if they need to be put in ziplock bag and always got a no as answer. After that I didn't bother anymore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.