Wiki Posts
Search

BA-BMI ops at BFS in the '70s

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2017, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
BA-BMI ops at BFS in the '70s

A political observation of the recently released government papers in regard to the thoughts of BA, BMI and the newspapers of the time.

https://sluggerotoole.com/2017/08/26...ls-20yearrule/
Old Aug 26, 2017, 2:49 pm

Nice read

I remember seeing a program on tv about BA at Dublin in the early 80s, around the time of the death of the hunger strikers. Ground crews refused to refuel / load baggage onto the BA flights for a few weeks.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 2:50 pm

Interesting read. Different times. I remember the RUC checkpoint at Aldergrove with the mirrors they used to see under the cars for bombs.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 1:22 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Interesting. My first ever flight was on BA from GLA into BFS. Along with it being the first time on an aircraft, coming from Scotland as a 15 year old, it was a bit daunting seeing all of the police armed with firearms and of course all of the check points around the airport.

Was a bit anxious to begin with, it being my first ever flight, there was about a 2 hour delay, and when the plane arrived on stand at GLA, it wasn't one of these big jets that were 'proper' planes and instead a prop plane (can't remember the type although looking at BA history it could have been a Bae ATP introduced that year) along with some pretty heavy rain and me wondering how they could fly this plane in that weather. Also a bit daunting sitting at the gate with all the pax being eyed up by a couple of Strathclyde's finest

In absolute awe when the props spooled up and we went hurtling down the runway into a grey abyss of rain clouds and then that moment when we pulled out of the cloud into clear blue sky before inflight service was started.

Still remember the small can of Irn Bru and the grey bag of peanuts with the BA Landor insignia, sitting looking out of the window at the turbo prop going round (praying it wasn't going to stop ) and the sight of pristine white fluffy clouds below.

And as said above, on arrival into BFS and seeing all of these armed police (a first for me), well it definitely made for a trip to remember.

Fast forward 14-15 years later on U2 on the same route and what a difference (still preferred my first BA flight ).

S

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.