Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Issued CX Ticket "Tropical Storm Pakhar"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Issued CX Ticket "Tropical Storm Pakhar"

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2017, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue, Qatar Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Exclamation BA Issued CX Ticket "Tropical Storm Pakhar"

Hi all,

Again, when BA can't give you the answers, where do we go? FLYERTALK!

Currently on honeymoon in the Maldives with Mrs Ryanfozzie. It's been great so far and thanks to so many of you here! We used lots of Avios, a 2 4 1 and some Amex MR points on other airlines (shhh). So far, everything has been plain sailing, but I smell a problem....

We are due to fly on CX604 departing MLE on 26/08/17 to HKG (J) and then flying from HKG to LHR on BA32 29/08/17 (F, part of return using Amex 241). Seperate tickets beacuse BA could not handle such a large avios multi sector trip.

Anyway, to the point. CX604 could be cancelled due to Tropical Storm Pakhar. Cathay have issued various travel waivers etc, but as my ticket is an Avios ticket booked with BA, BA will need to help (should our flight be affected). I tweeted BA just to know my rights etc. but all I got is 'ticket is subject to fare rules etc', which I understand. I was just trying to plan plan B should our flight be cancelled, as we have an action packed last few days before returing to London. So I guess I am asking, should CX604 be cancelled, what help will BA provide? Rerouting on one world airlines to HKG? The ability to use interline agreements to get us to HKG one way or another? Or is this unecessary and Cathay will help when push comes to shove? Who is responable for duty of care should we get stuck somewhere?

Finally, lets say we get stuck in the Maldives for days (oh the horror), and don't get to HKG for our return flight many days later. Are BA going to help us get home or are we left stuck in the mud?

Thank you all in advance! TR will come soon! We had a great flight on the outbound with BA from LHR - PEK in F. Crew were amazing which is a nice story!
Old Aug 25, 2017, 6:40 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
If CX604 is cancelled close to departure, contact CX in the first instance to be rebooked. They'll have control of the ticket close to travel.

If you're trying to get BA to be proactive for you, you may need to call them and may still get nowhere, I'm afraid. However, give them a call (by the magic of Skype or other VOIP connection, unless you can use a phone whose bill you do not pay ) to ask and specifically mention that Cathay are allowing changes on these flights.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 6:49 am

When you book separate tickets (and I understand why you needed to do this) unfortunately you assume the risk of the 'connection' even if several days apart. In this case there is quite a big buffer though so I would have thought you should be fine.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue, Qatar Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by flatlander
If CX604 is cancelled close to departure, contact CX in the first instance to be rebooked. They'll have control of the ticket close to travel.

If you're trying to get BA to be proactive for you, you may need to call them and may still get nowhere, I'm afraid. However, give them a call (by the magic of Skype or other VOIP connection, unless you can use a phone whose bill you do not pay ) to ask and specifically mention that Cathay are allowing changes on these flights.
Thanks for this. Spoke to them via DM on Twitter and they said I can DM them in case of cancellation. I've just checked myself and the wife in, so we now have boarding passes. Does this now mean that CX are responable?
Old Aug 25, 2017, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
When you book separate tickets (and I understand why you needed to do this) unfortunately you assume the risk of the connection.
So worse case senerio and we get stuck (could be worse places to be stuck) in the Maldives for 3/4 extra days, BA are not going to help us get home. Do you think CX in this instance would step in and help? Again, very unlikey that this storm is that bad and lasts for that long, but I don't want to leave anything to chance
Old Aug 25, 2017, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by Ryanfozzie
So worse case senerio and we get stuck (could be worse places to be stuck) in the Maldives for 3/4 extra days, BA are not going to help us get home. Do you think CX in this instance would step in and help? Again, very unlikey that this storm is that bad and lasts for that long, but I don't want to leave anything to chance
Is there any last minute Avios availability to change your return flight date if needed?
Old Aug 25, 2017, 6:55 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Ryanfozzie
Thanks for this. Spoke to them via DM on Twitter and they said I can DM them in case of cancellation. I've just checked myself and the wife in, so we now have boarding passes. Does this now mean that CX are responable?
Yes, if you have boarding passes from CX, it's over to CX at this point. Usually CX are fairly good in this situation, they get it every year and they're fairly used to sorting out their passengers. Do keep an eye on the CX forum on Flyertalk since there may be other hints and tips there. I wouldn't worry, as you say being stranded in the Maldives is not something that should be too concerning. If you get more specific information or options, then by all revert back here. Safe and happy travel!
Old Aug 25, 2017, 7:04 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
I think the oneworld policy of covering missed connections across tickets between oneworld airlines would apply here (or does BA not follow that?). On AA they do, but to be honest I don't remember if that is just an AA holdover of a oneworld policy that is long gone or not.

Added - I guess it would be whether CX follows the policy or not (if it still exists).
Old Aug 25, 2017, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
CX will assist even if its on separate tickets. But you must wait until CX advises what will happen to your flight first.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 10:11 am

Programs: BA, TK, EK
I'm in a very similar situation with CX on a BA issued miles ticket to HKG, and a separate BA ticket heading home a few days later.

I think the disruption expected is on the 27th, and your CX flight is on the 26th.

My CX (KA) flight to HKG is on the 27th, so I'm expecting delays, but would like the option to rebook to the 28th (via BA call centre, or CX?) if the delay becomes excessive.

Does anyone know at what point a CX rebooking waiver can be applied to a BAEC 125- ticket?
Old Aug 25, 2017, 11:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
I think the oneworld policy of covering missed connections across tickets between oneworld airlines would apply here (or does BA not follow that?). On AA they do, but to be honest I don't remember if that is just an AA holdover of a oneworld policy that is long gone or not.

Added - I guess it would be whether CX follows the policy or not (if it still exists).
That is an AA, not a OW, policy. AA would cover a no show across tickets. Neither CX nor BA will.

As CWS notes, up until the date of travel, ticket changes on a BA-issued ticket are handled by BA. On the day of travel, in IRROPS, it is the operating carrier of the segment in question.

This is an issue for OP because CX has a weather waiver, not a cancellation in question and BA is unhelpful on those. So long as BA sees the CX flight as operating, it will apply the fare rules.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Skywards Silver
I’m in Hong Kong and the storm is not expected to be anywhere near Hong Kong on the 26th, it may get close on the 27th and may just miss Hong Kong altogether. So, if you’re flying today (26th), you should be fine.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by Often1
That is an AA, not a OW, policy. AA would cover a no show across tickets. Neither CX nor BA will.
Good to know, I had thought the AA policy stemmed from an OW policy.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 12:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is not merely an AA policy. It is expressly in AA's COC. I don't know of any other carrier which protects across tickets.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You were indeed correct.

Through-ticket protection was set out in the oneworld Disruption Policy Document, an agreement made by the oneworld member airlines, which can be readily found on popular search engines.

However the wording was changed in more recent copies of the agreement, which has also been renamed the oneworld Ticketing and Disruption Policy Document.

Naturally many airlines did not honour their obligations as expressed in the previous policy. To my knowledge, CX was one of those airlines happy to do so.

I understand the reasoning in the previous policy was that it was often technically impossible to issue through tickets when some carriers required paper coupons for certain flight sectors while others required electronic tickets.

Last edited by Calchas; Aug 25, 2017 at 5:45 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.