Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA WT+ or AA Premium Economy?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 5:35 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by notalizard
Useful reviews. Good to see AA finally picking up rolling PE out, healthy competition to BA and IB. General impressions especially for the JFK-LHR route I will be taking seems to be it's worth a try over BA especially to also check out the T8 flagship lounge.
with the joint venture in place, competition isn’t the word that I would have used here! Your revenue is our revenue.
teemuflyer likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 4:05 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Having read through the whole thread here, the verdicts are a bit mixed and heavily seems to depend what aircraft you get. Is there anywhere a nice "wikipost" of different aircraft types for comparison?

I am mostly interested in choosing AA or BA for LHR-PHL-LHR sector. Premium economy that is. I have OWE with AY if that matters.

Thanks
Old Dec 13, 2018, 4:09 am
Suspended

Well I have travelled on both products. So here is my take:
1, I like dark colours, so AA seats are much better visual wise. I did not like the colour scheme of BA's PE seats.
2, If it is PE seats on A380, I would like it more for window seats as there are more storage spaces.
3, AA has better PE amenity bag, basic but feels better than BA's.

So based on above criteria, my choice is:
BA A380 PE window seats > AA PE seats > any other BA PE seats.

I could not care less about service or food and beverage on board nowadays. Comfort is my only criteria now. Thus my opinion does not count any service or food experiences.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Seems like it is BA 747 old version on LHR-PHL sector. Looks bad for WT+.
AA seems to run 330-200 and 330-300, routing also MAN instead of LHR when starting from HEL. I am reading the recline is not that good on AA seat, but oh well.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FFlash
Having read through the whole thread here, the verdicts are a bit mixed and heavily seems to depend what aircraft you get. Is there anywhere a nice "wikipost" of different aircraft types for comparison?

I am mostly interested in choosing AA or BA for LHR-PHL-LHR sector. Premium economy that is. I have OWE with AY if that matters.

Thanks
More, and many think better, lounge options in T3 (AA) than T5 (BA) for a OWE
Old Dec 13, 2018, 2:06 pm

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
I have yet to experience AA PE, that's coming up next year when I will fly to Sydney via LAX. For what it is worth, while I have flown BA WTP on the 747, 777, 787 and A380 and have enjoyed my flights, I must say that BA's old WTP seats while comfortable enough as a seat, I would avoid planes with the old entertainment system and lack of power. If watching a film and a bit of tv is important to you during a flight, avoid BA's old IFE unless you like watching a small tv with a checker board grid overlay and extremely poor resolution.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, then a handful of points on everything else.
Resurrecting this thread yet again, I'm looking at heading to SFO in WT+ in a month or so. The company's travel agent dropped the ball when I first asked for this to be booked, and so the direct flights on BA are coming in at around £2,600 return. Ouch. Pricing it up with a change in LAX has given the following options. "PE" all the way via BA, or PE+First on AA. The latter is too expensive, the former is much, much cheaper. My concern (and question) is this -- can I be sure that the BA 'T' fare will book into the AA PE cabin on the long haul sector, rather than end up with an MCE style seat? I'm not really too bothered about the hop from LAX to SFO.

Thanks!
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by internetplumber
Resurrecting this thread yet again, I'm looking at heading to SFO in WT+ in a month or so. The company's travel agent dropped the ball when I first asked for this to be booked, and so the direct flights on BA are coming in at around £2,600 return. Ouch. Pricing it up with a change in LAX has given the following options. "PE" all the way via BA, or PE+First on AA. The latter is too expensive, the former is much, much cheaper. My concern (and question) is this -- can I be sure that the BA 'T' fare will book into the AA PE cabin on the long haul sector, rather than end up with an MCE style seat? I'm not really too bothered about the hop from LAX to SFO.

Thanks!
They are selling you a PE seat, so you are booked in AA's PE. Looking at you itinerary, I would be more concerned about making the connection with only 2 hours to clear Immigration and CBP, especially if you need to transfer to the AA remote terminal.
internetplumber likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, then a handful of points on everything else.
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
They are selling you a PE seat, so you are booked in AA's PE. Looking at you itinerary, I would be more concerned about making the connection with only 2 hours to clear Immigration and CBP, especially if you need to transfer to the AA remote terminal.
Thanks! I was coming to that conclusion, I just wanted to be sure that there weren't any shenanigans if AA's PE class is still (relatively) new, and T ended up booking into something else. A few other searches are showing it as about right though. Noted on the two hours to get through LAX, thanks.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
If the LAX - SFO flight is showing as an A319 then it's a mainline flight and will operate out of T4 or T5 as opposed to the Eagle's Nest (gate 52). I would be fine with a 2-hour connection here. AA will rebook if you miss your onward flight to SFO
internetplumber likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
I've flown both. If it's a BA 787 or A380 then I'd choose BA all the way. If 747 then American might edge it. Ive always enjoyed BA Y+ and also if you're an BAEC member flying BA there is always the chance of a bump, something that is close to zero if on AA aa they'll upgrade their own elites.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 9:07 am

Programs: BA Azure
Just wondered if anyone had any updates in the last year to this topic. Any product upgrades/enhancements swing the balance to either AA or BA (or any configurations to avoid)? We're setting up an office or two in the States and travel policy is PE so will be sampling crossing the pond a few times this year and curious to hear your opinions. Also anyone able to rank VS and DL in the mix as we'll be heading to ATL a fair bit too.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 9:16 am

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
I did BA premium economy ( upgraded version with new ife ) yo Barbados and then AA to Cancun.

The AA seat to me was nicer but the Ba one was fine.

we had one flight on a 787 with Aa and had the front row which was very comfortable.

if you don’t have status ( I don’t ) I book AA where I can as they don’t charge for seat allocation.

The BA service and food is better. AA is fine but is pretty “ industrial “ as Americans don’t really do service other than have a nice day and where is my massive tip.

other than the seal allocation fee I would rate it a score draw as long as you get the new Ba product - but you can’t gtee than and Aa can
Andriyko, lhrsfo and jsdickinson like this.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by jsdickinson
Just wondered if anyone had any updates in the last year to this topic. Any product upgrades/enhancements swing the balance to either AA or BA (or any configurations to avoid)? We're setting up an office or two in the States and travel policy is PE so will be sampling crossing the pond a few times this year and curious to hear your opinions. Also anyone able to rank VS and DL in the mix as we'll be heading to ATL a fair bit too.
AA's PE seats are very much standardized, whereas BA's are a mix of new and old. BA, IMHO, provides slightly better service and F&B than AA in PE.

But if those net out to you overall, I would pick AA just to be able to fly out of LHR T3 than T5, as the lounges are better and I'd eat my main meals at them before getting on the flight.
efincomputer and jsdickinson like this.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 5:11 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I'm in AA PE on a 787-9 right now. 10 people in a cabin of 21, so plenty of space.

One issue is that the seats wobble quite a bit when moving forward, leaning back and touching the screen.

Last edited by xenole; Apr 15, 2022 at 5:29 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.