Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Getting to PDX - would you consider San Francisco as gateway?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting to PDX - would you consider San Francisco as gateway?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2017, 2:18 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Have you considered the amtrak from san jose? It goes around 8pm and not that much more for a cabin to sleep which includes meals, and you arrive in portland in the morning. SJC isn't far from the amtrak station. Saves a hotel room for the night too...
Old Aug 23, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
I've dobe it via Phoenix - lots of flights up to Portland.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 2:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
I'd personally be quite happy to go anywhere on the west coast, though probably not Chicago or anywhere further east, with a non-stop flight to Portland. I don't know if you want to use miles for the next leg as well or if you're comfortable with spending cash - either way, award availability to the BA destination would be my first factor, then travel time to Portland (sub 2h or not), then cost (of flight and hotel - obviously important but generally less variable).

If driving, I'd only consider SEA unless I really wanted to make a journey of it from SFO/the Bay area - and even then I'd do a one-way rental and fly back.

For what it's worth I'm in PDX next week, flying to Seattle for two nights/three days then driving down for five nights in Portland, flying out from PDX via SEA. Not entirely planned (originally booked PDX-ORD-LHR to get an avios upgrade ORD-LHR but a time change switched me onto PDX-SEA-LHR).
Old Aug 23, 2017, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Smid
Have you considered the amtrak from san jose? It goes around 8pm and not that much more for a cabin to sleep which includes meals, and you arrive in portland in the morning. SJC isn't far from the amtrak station. Saves a hotel room for the night too...
The Coast Starlight is currently listed as 8:23 p.m. from SJC to 3:32 p.m. the next day at PDX but it is a great ride and a vacation in itself. Taking it the same day would still have the connection anxiety though.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 3:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold
We have family in Pdx and as others have said, any of the west coast or other nearby gateways work. Last time we went it was via YVR as that was the only place that had redemptions available (and only F -shucks !) but we've also gone via Denver, SFO and LAX... - even San Diego would work - what difference is a 1-2 hour connection? - hope you find something that works. And maybe do something that means you can explore another part of US for a few days?
Old Aug 23, 2017, 3:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I did similar trip this year and went via Seattle in the end. I found one way car hire really expensive so it was cheaper to get a car for full trip and just park it up at Portland hotel. I ended up doing a loop through Mount Rainier National Park (magical and no phones or internet meant a very chilled start to holiday), Portland, Oregon coast, Olympic national park and finished in Seattle. Portland now ranks alongside San Diego as my favourite west coast city and I wish I'd spent more time there than in Seattle at the end of my trip. As CWS mentioned, Portland has a big problem with homelessness but I didn't have any problems wandering round the city on my own.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 3:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Portland is a very interesting town with a gritty English-German heritage (think sausages) on a prominent river crossing, and the good public transport system there indeed would make a car a liability more than a convenience. In late June this year I took the Seattle train north to Vancouver, in business class, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Drinking hot coffee in a roomy seat while the coast went past was excellent. It's the same rolling stock/fleet used down to Portland and from the handy brochures they give out it looks to me to be an interesting and scenic ride.

[Only oddity about Portland is that for complex reasons it has a huge homeless population, almost as many people as London in a city far smaller. It causes remarkably few problems as far as I can tell, but it's the unspoken feature about that city. This shouldn't put you off however.]
You need a car to see Portland properly. Not sure why you'd suggest otherwise. The max train is super slow and busses are equally inefficient. Fine for certain point to point routes but like most American cities a car is neded to get around.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by sts603
You need a car to see Portland properly. Not sure why you'd suggest otherwise. The max train is super slow and busses are equally inefficient. Fine for certain point to point routes but like most American cities a car is neded to get around.
We spent a few days there a couple of years back and found plenty to see using feet and public transport. If you want to get out of town to wineries and the like then it is another matter.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 3:48 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by sts603
I imagine your experiences are different to mine, but doing things like Union Station to PSU takes about 12 minutes, and a 15 minute service frequency (and runs on a timetable). Given the lousy public transport in many USA cities, Portland, like SLC, is one of the good guys in my book. It's also fairly compact city, so a combination of walking, bus and Light Rail Max is quick and easy, though the city is a bit hilly. I particularly like the way you can use the TriMet App on the integrated system to plan travel and then pay for it. Another piece of evidence is that the light rail station at the airport is right in the middle of the building, you can be on your way and half way to the River before you even get to the car hire desk.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 3:59 pm

San Francisco is my favourite American city. It has so much to offer, particularly when the sun is out. The harbour area is really nice and everything feels very chilled. Of course it has a few homeless people about as well.

And definitely with a car, it's very nice to drive around. Yosemite isn't that far, which is stunning and Sequoia national park is also nice if you want to see the world's biggest tree. The coast road between Los Angeles and San Francisco is very pleasant.

When we went last year, we went to Alcatraz and there was the most amazing air force display.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 4:12 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club
Doing a similar trip soon but doing our first ever F trip to NYC for 2 nights to see friends, then united to Portland for 2 1/2 weeks - direct flight leaves at730 and gets in at1030 - only downside is return which leaves at 0630 :-(
Old Aug 23, 2017, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
SFO and SEA to PDX are both great choices via plane.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 6:28 pm

Programs: BD Gold (yes forever), BA Silver, Hilton Gold.
Flying to Portland next week via SEA on the outbound and SJC on the return using Alaska for the connections flights, time wise both routes seem to be very convenient. We have two days in Portland and we wont have a car so I'm hoping to find some things to do by foot and train.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by BigVince76
Flying to Portland next week via SEA on the outbound and SJC on the return using Alaska for the connections flights, time wise both routes seem to be very convenient. We have two days in Portland and we wont have a car so I'm hoping to find some things to do by foot and train.
The new Federal courthouse, the old Federal courthouse, the rose garden the Japanese garden, the drilling core in the Washington Park MAX station with labelled strata: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washin...rk_MAX_Station. The Vietnam War Memorial is also worth a visit. There are many places to get good food, beer, and wine.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 11:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Nexus
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I particularly like the way you can use the TriMet App on the integrated system to plan travel and then pay for it. Another piece of evidence is that the light rail station at the airport is right in the middle of the building, you can be on your way and half way to the River before you even get to the car hire desk.

Trimet is rolling out a new fare payment card called "Hop fastpass". The Trimet app tickets will be phased out at some point - no dates available. I have about a dozen tickets on mine - hopefully I'll use them up in the next six months or a year. There is no refund, and I cannot find any facility for moving these tickets to a Hop card.

Pros for the Hop system: You load it with cash value, not specific tickets, and it caps your payments. Once you tap on enough to have spent the equivalent of a day pass, for example, you are no longer charged for the rest of the day. Same goes for a monthly adult pass. More than 20 rides in a month? Automatically turns into a pass, and you ride for free the rest of the month.

This one I really like: Trimet says you can also tap-on when boarding with Apple Pay or Android Pay. It appears to do the same daily fare-capping, so this is ideal for tourists.

Another note - I've always found the PDXBus app more useful than the Trimet app for trip planning.
frankmu likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.