Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Double op-up!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2017, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Double op-up!

Something I never thought possible happened last night (16/08) on BA116 JFK-LHR.

I was booked in Y - as I always am for work trips. I was already planning to ask about purchasing an AUP to W to try and get some sleep.

On entering the lounge I got the magic beep, and got handed a new BP for W before asking about the AUP. Later at the gate I got the magic beep again and got given a new BP for J

I've been Silver for a few years, before that Bronze for a few more. I never had a single op-up as Bronze but have have had maybe one Y->W and one W->J (personal booking in W) since being Silver.

Unfortunately I'll be devastated next time when I'm stuck in the back again!
Old Aug 17, 2017, 7:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
We seem to be seeing a lot more op-ups on here recently, even more so double ones. I wonder if BA have implemented a change in the upgrade software?

Congratulations on your upgrade BAflyer90!
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Silver seems to be the sweet spot for upgrades at the gate. I've gotten 3 from W to J over the past year TATL. We'll see what happens when I get to gold in a couple weeks!
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: BA Gold
Congratulations ^
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:17 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by StingWest
Silver seems to be the sweet spot for upgrades at the gate. I've gotten 3 from W to J over the past year TATL. We'll see what happens when I get to gold in a couple weeks!
The "sweet spot" is being in an oversold W and being someone who does not normally pay for J. Or if you do pay for J then having high status.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by TabTraveller
The "sweet spot" is being in an oversold W and being someone who does not normally pay for J. Or if you do pay for J then having high status.
Yes, and W is often oversold (or at least full) TATL, at least from the west coast, in my experience.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: BA Blue
Amazing! I also had a double upgrade from Y to J when flying LHR-JFK in December. Enjoy it!
Old Aug 17, 2017, 10:09 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Welcome to the double op-up brigade

S
Old Aug 17, 2017, 10:37 am

... always a nice experience - and even better if unexpected! My only double was a lowly blue from WT-CW TATL.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 1:40 am

Programs: BD Gold, BAEC Gold, Hilton HHonors
Congrats on your good fortune!

I've been Gold for years and only ever managed Y to CE on a domestic hop (and again later that day on LHR-CDG) - really underwhelming!

Would much prefer Y to CW or CW to F longhaul...
Old Aug 18, 2017, 2:21 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
I've only ever had double op-up once, LHR >> JFK, early on in my business flying history (in fact I think it was my first BA J flight).

Unfortunately the return leg was AI Y (I was working for a startup and cash was super tight) and in an oversold Y cabin on old AI metal. Frustratingly the woman next to me was in a seat where bizarrely, due to some wierd mix up, they had actually got as far as allocating passes and boarding 2 pax for the same seat (god only knows how that happened). So she got whisked off to the front and I had the worst business trip flight I have ever had. One seat away from redemption. I was not happy at that point.

Doesn't take many instances of 'turning left' for the dissatisfaction if you don't to kick in I reckon.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 2:38 am

Programs: BA Bronze
I think I've used up my op-up luck for a while - last trip WT+ to CW outbound and inbound.
Not technically a double op-up but it felt like it.
My next trip is CW no chance that it would be 3 op ups in a row, pity as I only have 1 first flight under my belt.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 3:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Achievement unlocked

Congrats!
Old Aug 18, 2017, 4:54 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
You could actually do quite a good video game around this I reckon.

Each level is a different part of the frequent flying experience.

Boss level at the end of each segment is the different level of lounge dragon...
Old Aug 22, 2017, 6:01 am

We had this on our last flight back from JFK. We are bronze and were both booked in WT, on separate bookings as the husband flew out a couple of days earlier than I did. I did OCLI first and was upgraded to WT+. He then did his and found he had been double upgraded to J! Fortunately we were able to check in and use the lounge together, and I was upgraded to J at the boarding gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.