Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Guesting in family one at a time?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2017, 7:05 am
Ziz

Programs: BA Silver
I've been able to do this in the past. I asked politely at the desk once my first friend had left to get his flight. The agent checked his flight time (basically to confirm he really wasn't in the lounge anymore) and said I could bring a different person in now if I wanted to.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 7:07 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Ziz
I've been able to do this in the past. I asked politely at the desk once my first friend had left to get his flight. The agent checked his flight time (basically to confirm he really wasn't in the lounge anymore) and said I could bring a different person in now if I wanted to.
I would say that falls into the category of "agent's discretion" rather than an entitlement.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 7:23 am

Programs: BAEC-GGL, GFL, *A Gold, Hilton Diamond , IHG Diamond/Ambassador
Originally Posted by Often1
Purchase three of the same outfits and make sure that your "guests" are of the same approximate height, weight, and hair color, and nobody will know the difference.
I don't know what the exact rule is, but I suspect the rule that makes sense is that you have one human guest per flight you take per lounge (not sure about multi lounge terminals like t5a and t5b). So if you have 2 flights in a day you could take 2 guests.

The lounge access people can see a log on their screen of who you have taken in, by boarding pass name and flight.

Your interpretation of the privilege is probably invalid as it would encourage lounge sherpas to traffic people in and out.

However,....

I have never seen lounge staff ask for niqab to be lifted for ID check, so maybe that is a way to have different people came in and out on the same (1 guest) boarding pass which is mapped as your guest for your flight and used for the reentry.

Alternatively, buy yourself 3 more outbound flights on the same day so you have 4 lounge accesses to guest people in against.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 8:07 am

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
Originally Posted by subject2load
Indeed.

But those options involve parting with actual cash ; whereas the OP is of course much more interested in advice on devious tactics to avoid such inconvenience.

Tricking your way to a bit of free food : amazing how powerful an attraction that can be .........
I got the impression it was to show his family what these lounges are like. An innocent sharing of experience and nothing more.

Alternatively you can make assumptions that it's some sort of greeed fest.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by RockyRobin
I got the impression it was to show his family what these lounges are like. An innocent sharing of experience and nothing more.

Alternatively you can make assumptions that it's some sort of greeed fest.
In actual fact, I was making no assumptions at all.

My reaction was based purely on the OP's own comments. He said that he was well aware of the one guest rule and its enforcement ; but was looking for ways of "guesting in a family member in shifts, so that they can grab something to eat, relax for a while".

In this particular set of circumstances, it would mean three people wrongfully taking advantage of food & drink provided for the benefit of legitimate lounge users - so, five in all, versus the permitted two.

I'd say it's a good thing that the vast majority of people are happy to respect the access rules (or any exceptional variation authorised by duty staff), rather than attempt to bring people in by deception.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by flyerkit
I don't know what the exact rule is, but I suspect the rule that makes sense is that you have one human guest per flight you take per lounge (not sure about multi lounge terminals like t5a and t5b). So if you have 2 flights in a day you could take 2 guests.

The lounge access people can see a log on their screen of who you have taken in, by boarding pass name and flight.

Your interpretation of the privilege is probably invalid as it would encourage lounge sherpas to traffic people in and out.

However,....

I have never seen lounge staff ask for niqab to be lifted for ID check, so maybe that is a way to have different people came in and out on the same (1 guest) boarding pass which is mapped as your guest for your flight and used for the reentry.

Alternatively, buy yourself 3 more outbound flights on the same day so you have 4 lounge accesses to guest people in against.
We would all be better off if folks resisted the temptation to engage in complete speculation as to what BA's policies are, or should be. This does not add to anyone's knowledge base. If anything, it spreads potential disinformation. Let's all stick to verifiable facts or actual experience.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by Nscc2

Is there anything to stop me guesting in a family member for 30-45 mins each in shifts one at a time so they can grab something to eat, relax etc for a short while.
One might imagine what various fathers might say to their sons:

Father 1.
"Kids, I'm going to figure out a way to get the usual rules bent so you all can enjoy the benefits of the lounge."

or

Father 2.
"Kids, I could figure out a way to get the usual rules bent so you all can enjoy the benefits of the lounge, but that would not be up to our family's standards of ethics. Better you guys work hard in school, get a good job, earn money and attain legitimate lounge access on your own. In the meantime, we'll all just find a nice place in the regular departure area to wait for our flight together. Someday you will guest me into the elite lounge, and that will make me very proud."

My dad would have been Father 2.

Last edited by QueenOfCoach; Aug 14, 2017 at 9:28 am
Old Aug 14, 2017, 4:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas

haha nice one! I never thought of that !
+1. 'Dumping' or not - it's a clever idea. I presume there is no coordination between LHR T3 AA, BA and CX lounges to prevent this.

Incidentally I've had success with one guest in one guest out at LHR T5 GF.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 4:43 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...

My reaction was based purely on the OP's own comments. He said that he was well aware of the one guest rule and its enforcement ; but was looking for ways of "guesting in a family member in shifts, so that they can grab something to eat, relax for a while".

In this particular set of circumstances, it would mean three people wrongfully taking advantage of food & drink provided for the benefit of legitimate lounge users - so, five in all, versus the permitted two.

I'd say it's a good thing that the vast majority of people are happy to respect the access rules (or any exceptional variation authorised by duty staff), rather than attempt to bring people in by deception.
IMHO, it's perfectly legitimate for a brand new FT member to ask for clarification on whether the "one person" rule means "at a time" or "in total", and that it's not OK to make assumptions that the OP is out to "wrongfully take advantage" by "deception".

@:-)
Old Aug 14, 2017, 5:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach

Father 2.
"Kids, I could figure out a way to get the usual rules bent so you call can enjoy the benefits of the lounge, but that would not be up to our family's standards of ethics. Better you guys work hard in school, get a good job, earn money and attain legitimate lounge access on your own. In the meantime, we'll all just find a nice place in the regular departure area to wait for our flight together. Someday you will guest me into the elite lounge, and that will make me very proud."

My dad would have been Father 2.
I'm Father 3 - son, as you have been working hard at school, and are about to enter your final year at university - after which you will hopefully get a good job and earn money - I have decided to reward you these past few years by paying for your travel (primarily QR J of course ) to earn BAEC Gold /OW Emerald status in your own right. Although I don't need you to guest me into the 'elite lounge' I know such an action on your part is appreciated by your friends. Oh, and don't feel superior because your sister only earned 1,000TPs this year, and is only BAEC Silver.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 5:21 am

Programs: BA Silver, Velocity Gold

Like most other responders I read the OPs post as a request for clarification on the rules as they have been written, not a devious attempt to cheat BA and it's customers.
smc333 likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 5:48 am

OP just find a nice restaurant that all five of you are broadly happy with, and enjoy a nice lunch together.

Even if you could get everyone in in shifts (which it doesn't look like you can), none of them will be enjoying a particularly nice meal in the Club lounge in any event. That's aside from the stress and bother of doing what you're suggesting (even if it were doable..).
Old Aug 14, 2017, 6:06 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
+1. 'Dumping' or not - it's a clever idea. I presume there is no coordination between LHR T3 AA, BA and CX lounges to prevent this.

Incidentally I've had success with one guest in one guest out at LHR T5 GF.
No, there isn't any linking of their systems so it's perfectly possible to deposit a guest in each lounge. As noted above, it might be somewhat antisocial but I guess if you have a few guests who just want some food/drink and a quiet place to sit then it solves a problem. Whether it is a better solution than simply paying for no.1 traveller or whatever is a different matter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.