Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How bad can it be? [FR from STN v BA LHR T3]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2017, 3:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, Hertz President's Circle, HHonors Diamond

Looking at a positioning flight to PRG. B2B not possible for my flights, so it's an overnight at a hotel.

Which means I can choose between flying BA from LHR for £89, or with Ryanair from STN for £23 including seat selection at the back of the plane.

Only a very small hand luggage item.

I work in the City so STN Express an option.

How bad can FR be as I forego the Flounge, exit rows, priority boarding, am last off the plane etc?

I'm tempered just for the experience and cost saving!

also - any recommendations for PRG hotels?
Old Aug 9, 2017, 3:34 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
FR isn't too bad for a relatively short hop like PRG. I'd want an extra leg room seat however as I'm tall. Whether you can cope with STN if you are used to the pleasantry of Cathay First lounge at T3 is another question however.

I'm going to PRG over the forthcoming Bank Holiday weekend and have booked to stay here: http://www.questenberk.cz/
Old Aug 9, 2017, 3:35 am

Ryanair normally load from the front and back of the plane, so being at the back means you'll be first off.

It's really not that bad at all. I do it from time to time and the punctuality of their flights is very good. Everything else is functional - yes, maybe a bit less tasteful in some respects from BA, but there's not really much difference these days.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 3:35 am

Programs: Some
£66 extra is a lot to pay for BA's ET product, would be worth it to be able to B2B but if you're staying overnight anyway I might just go for Ryanair (and I say this as a total snob).

Holiday Inn next to the airport is modern and quite well regarded if it's just a quick overnight and you're not looking to go into Prague itself (as is the Courtyard).
Old Aug 9, 2017, 3:36 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
It can't be that bad but why pay money to ensure you're at the back - pay more to be at the front and recover most of your lost benefits, or take a chance on allocated seating.

Or is there any RFS availability on BA: creeps under the 4500avios threshold + £17.50.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 3:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
The joys of the Stansted Express would be enough to convince me to pay the extra and fly from a different airport! (In fact, I use the National Express coach from outside Liverpool St on the odd occasion I've had to get to that that awful airport, far more preferable to that terrible train)
Old Aug 9, 2017, 3:40 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Mike P
Whether you can cope with STN if you are used to the pleasantry of Cathay First lounge at T3 is another question however.
Ah, I hadn't considered PRG was T3, this might swing it for the BA flight for me.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 3:42 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, United 1K, Avis Presidents Club, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold Elite
For all the reasons discussed ad nauseum on this board, I have diversified my flying to a bunch of other carriers where the cost is lower and the schedule works better- mainly United, Qatar, American. But the biggest revelation was when I took an FR flight to Belfast recently as at 9 quid each way I thought it was worth a go.

Sure you will miss the status perks of priority boarding and a seat at the front, but you can buy these and still make a sensible saving. I didnt and survived. My primary observation from the experience was the behaviour of my fellow passengers- and here I risk a DYKWIA moment. They are very different to what you find on the BA shuttle- noisier, little respect for personal space and boundaries, and I guess dont travel enough to appreciate the subtle etiquette of flying- eg when you land, waiting for those in front to move before pushing your way to the exit in a free for all fashion...

All that said- I'd do it again if the price/timing/route works out to my favour
Old Aug 9, 2017, 3:50 am

Programs: DL FO, BA Bronze, Avis Preferred
I was very happy to take a Ryanair flight when positioning for an ex-EU last year. I snagged a "business" fare (exit row, priority boarding, checked bag), and for the hour long flight it was fine.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 3:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Vgravity
Which means I can choose between flying BA from LHR for £89, or with Ryanair from STN for £23 including seat selection at the back of the plane.
£66 savings is pretty good, even if you buy the most expensive STN Express walk-up ticket.

I'd pay for exit row (I think about £15) and spend the rest of the £££ in PRG.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 3:55 am

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
Remember that LCY now has a Prague flight (starting soon) and there's lots of redemption availability. Not a bad choice if you're in the city.

If your trip is after the start date of the LCY of course...
Old Aug 9, 2017, 4:34 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Mike P
FR isn't too bad for a relatively short hop like PRG. I'd want an extra leg room seat however as I'm tall. Whether you can cope with STN if you are used to the pleasantry of Cathay First lounge at T3 is another question however.

I'm going to PRG over the forthcoming Bank Holiday weekend and have booked to stay here: http://www.questenberk.cz/
I was impressed with STN when I was there last month. It is much better than when I last went in 2016. The only snag I found was the very long security line, but I guess this is to be expected in July with all the holidaygoers. It took about 30 mins, while LHR takes around 10-15.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 4:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
I was impressed with STN when I was there last month. It is much better than when I last went in 2016. The only snag I found was the very long security line, but I guess this is to be expected in July with all the holidaygoers. It took about 30 mins, while LHR takes around 10-15.
Don't forget fast track security with a first class stansted express train ticket.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 4:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
On balance here I would stick with BA. By the time you've factored in the Stansted Express plus a coffee at the airport at an exit row seat there's only £30-40 max in it. Take into account fast track through T3, you can have a meal in the Cathay 1st lounge and a few glasses of Champagne plus a few TPs and avios.

What's the need in being a GCH if you don't make the most of it on dirt cheap shorthaul Y fares !
Old Aug 9, 2017, 5:59 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver, Star Alliance Gold, Hilton/Marriott/SPG Gold
If you're venturing into Prague the Hilton (not the Old Town one) is quite nice and reasonably priced, except when there is a conference. The executive lounge has a good selection of food and drink, and if you're Gold/Diamond you'll very likely get a room upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.