Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice needed: trip to SYD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2017, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Lightbulb Advice needed: trip to SYD

Hello folks,

just wondering if someone here can give me some precious hints and suggestions.

Planning to visit Australia (SYD) for my first time in January. My budget for flights is as follows:

- 130,000 Avios
- Gold upgrade for one
- Joker

Am I right in saying that if I book a different stopover than SIN I will incur in a higher Avios balance needed? I really don't fancy J on the 777....

As of now my best bet is to book with Avios in W and upgrade to J with the voucher. Not too sure the above budget could take me somehow into F, even on one or two segments only.

Thanks for your precious help, much appreciated.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
I think 130k only gets you off peak to SYD. Peak, it's 220k vs 200.

Availability is very tight, so I think all three of those are needed to get you into J.

If you want F then you'll only need the GUF1 and a friendly travel agent - £2,600 or so from Oslo if you can find matching I and A class availability. However, you can save yourself the joker and the 130k avios, plus earn up to 80k avios if you earn as if it were a revenue A-class fare (not supposed to happen).

By the time you add on the YQ, it's about £2k extra to increase your avios balance by 210k, retain your joker, and travel in First.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Cymro
I think 130k only gets you off peak to SYD. Peak, it's 220k vs 200.

Availability is very tight, so I think all three of those are needed to get you into J.

If you want F then you'll only need the GUF1 and a friendly travel agent - £2,600 or so from Oslo if you can find matching I and A class availability. However, you can save yourself the joker and the 130k avios, plus earn up to 80k avios if you earn as if it were a revenue A-class fare (not supposed to happen).

By the time you add on the YQ, it's about £2k extra to increase your avios balance by 210k, retain your joker, and travel in First.
Wow, that was a very good suggestion...and flights ex OSL in J are indeed available at that fare. My only question at this point is about the "friendly travel agent", never done that before, where do I find one?
Old Aug 8, 2017, 10:47 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50k, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plus Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by 81romeo
Wow, that was a very good suggestion...and flights ex OSL in J are indeed available at that fare. My only question at this point is about the "friendly travel agent", never done that before, where do I find one?
American Express Travel understand and can handle GUF ticketing: they've done a couple for me, exactly same routing!
Old Aug 9, 2017, 1:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Some folks here use Propeller Travel for such bookings. They seem to understand the exEU fares, but would appreciate their clients flying the entire ticket.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 5:30 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
I have a similar question.
If using a BA 241 is it possible to book LHR-SYD and open jaw to the US west coast for LAX/SFO/SJC-LHR?
Old Aug 30, 2017, 5:17 am
Original Poster

Hi guys, sorry to bump this up.

Any other starting points apart from OSL at £2,600sh return in J?

Thanks!
Old Aug 30, 2017, 6:30 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Hi guys, sorry to bump this up.

Any other starting points apart from OSL at £2,600sh return in J?

Thanks!
The next best all seem to be around £3,000 +/-. FRA, VIE, ARN, IST, BRU roughly in that order (presumably all of Germany, etc too).
Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:12 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
OSL is the cheapest for BA, but you can fly J on QR ex-ARN for £2150.
Cymro likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
OSL is the cheapest for BA, but you can fly J on QR ex-ARN for £2150.
Thanks for this.

However the plan is to fly BA to maximise TPs and use a GUF.

Thanks!
Old Aug 30, 2017, 8:49 am

Thanks for this.

However the plan is to fly BA to maximise TPs and use a GUF.

Thanks!
Still worth considering QR.

BA in A would be 980 TPs vs 600 on QR, but the avios earning matters: about 50k difference.

Got any other plans for the GUF? You could use the price difference to most of the TP and half the avios gap with an upgraded ex-OSL premium economy to the US.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 8:56 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Given the fare difference is gained back in Avios value, there are many extra TPs, and BA F>QR J imo, I feel the OP is thinking along the right lines here.

Sadly the Pound's demise against the NOK has been more marked than most currencies, with a drop of about 28% from the time of the last ex-Norway sale. At that point Australia itineraries priced out around £1700, which would correspond to around £2350 today - not so much different to the price the OP is seeing.
81romeo likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cymro
Still worth considering QR.

BA in A would be 980 TPs vs 600 on QR, but the avios earning matters: about 50k difference.

Got any other plans for the GUF? You could use the price difference to most of the TP and half the avios gap with an upgraded ex-OSL premium economy to the US.
Thanks for your points....problem is I got too many GUFs to use before they expire
Old Aug 30, 2017, 9:11 am

As long as you know about the travel agent option and the six-month extension then I think you're on the right lines by chasing the TPs and avios then. If it was your last GUF then I'd go QR.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 9:13 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express
Thanks for your points....problem is I got too many GUFs to use before they expire
You could try asking for an extension on the GUF expiry dates

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.