Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LGW - Ba lounge & surrounded by PITA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2017, 2:15 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
It's rather amusing to read of children being critisised for going on and on for 40 mins when quite a few posters do that here for hours and days on end .....

I wonder whether there was also someone sat in the wings of the lounge who announces, in a rather judgemental stage whisper "from what I can see, most of the people in this lounge ....." every time someone strikes up a conversation.

As someone who has very recently found out that he & Mrs msm2000uk are expecting a Mini-FTer, I actively look forward to putting on my Noise-Cancelling Headphones and listening to white noise...while Mini-msm2000uk goes for a wander around the CCR disturbing as many people on mobile phones as possible

M
Old Aug 7, 2017, 7:29 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
As someone who has very recently found out that he & Mrs msm2000uk are expecting a Mini-FTer, I actively look forward to putting on my Noise-Cancelling Headphones and listening to white noise...while Mini-msm2000uk goes for a wander around the CCR disturbing as many people on mobile phones as possible

M
Hearty congratulations
Old Aug 8, 2017, 12:02 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Congratulations and good luck
Old Aug 8, 2017, 3:39 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by sunshinebob
Merci - ça fait presque l'après-midi que j'ai eu
We may have to work on the French, Dear! Still I espy that it is in your handle so Bravo!

OxonFlier you are such a naughty boy! Just out of curiosity are you a Papa yourself?

One thing I will say - this battle over Children in Lounges, Premium Cabins, At All is unwinnable. There are out there some beautifully behaved children and very much in a minority some very dreadful ones.

I am here to say to that on flying in from Venice the other day, there was a child that screamed and screamed on take off from Venice. We never heard another peep out of here until 10 minutes out of Gatwick. She then started again. She was actually about 4 we learned. We thought we must be ill the noise was unbelievable. The CSM went back as the passengers immediately in front threatened rebellion if this continued, and frankly I could not blame them (They were in Row 21 - we were in Row 2). The problem was that she would not sit in her seat - and she had to. This went on until we were off the runway.

The parents were useless (they were Chinese as it so happened - not that has anything to do with anything except that the CSM could not understand them nor they understand her).

What in the name of Heaven do you do?
Old Aug 8, 2017, 3:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
It's simple really. Don't want to fly with children. Fly private.

Don't want to mix to others. Fly private

BA flights are open to the public so as such you will have to mix with the good the bad and the ugly, the young and the old and everything in beteeen and everyone not covered by another catagory.

As a parent and as a general observation of the people I come into contact with in day to day life, I would say that the "adult" population cause far more problems than the "child" population.

In fact Iv come across many situations recently where the "child" was far more adult than the alleged "adult"

iv also never been asulted, spat at, had death threats or been threatened with a knife by a child whereas I have by so called adults.

Yes parents can only do so much to keep children quiet, but is an excited child really that upsetting in the grand scheme of things when you consider getting onboard an aircraft with a stag party who spend the flight drinking, swearing and being crude towards the crew? How many flights have been forced to divert in the U.K. This year because of a screaming or excited child ? How many have diverted because of an intoxicated "adult"

cs
Old Aug 8, 2017, 3:53 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
We may have to work on the French, Dear! Still I espy that it is in your handle so Bravo!

OxonFlier you are such a naughty boy! Just out of curiosity are you a Papa yourself?

One thing I will say - this battle over Children in Lounges, Premium Cabins, At All is unwinnable. There are out there some beautifully behaved children and very much in a minority some very dreadful ones.

I am here to say to that on flying in from Venice the other day, there was a child that screamed and screamed on take off from Venice. We never heard another peep out of here until 10 minutes out of Gatwick. She then started again. She was actually about 4 we learned. We thought we must be ill the noise was unbelievable. The CSM went back as the passengers immediately in front threatened rebellion if this continued, and frankly I could not blame them (They were in Row 21 - we were in Row 2). The problem was that she would not sit in her seat - and she had to. This went on until we were off the runway.

The parents were useless (they were Chinese as it so happened - not that has anything to do with anything except that the CSM could not understand them nor they understand her).

What in the name of Heaven do you do?
Return to the gate and offload them if the child won't sit in her seat with her seat belt fastened for takeoff. If their child is not seated and belted for landing, have the parents arrested at the gate for failing to obey cabin crew instructions. Children's tantrums should not be allowed to endanger other passengers.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 4:02 am

Programs: BA GGL (but soon to lose the GL :-(), IHG Spire Amb, Hilton Dmnd (and pleb/pleb-plus in 1001 others)
Originally Posted by benjai
.....Travelling with children can be much harder than it looks.
Indeed. Especially when they're someone else's.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 7:13 am
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Originally Posted by HilFly
Return to the gate and offload them if the child won't sit in her seat with her seat belt fastened for takeoff. If their child is not seated and belted for landing, have the parents arrested at the gate for failing to obey cabin crew instructions. Children's tantrums should not be allowed to endanger other passengers.
I imagine keeping the kid in the seat is what caused the tantrum, it's a case where parents doing the right thing is unfortunately going to lead to some bother. And there is nothing you can really do, sometimes because when they're tired or stressed or their ears hurt (note it only happened in takeoff and landing) kids can make some noise. And it makes it rather difficult at times when they are required to be in their seat so their parents can't even comfort them as they normally would. What can they really do? I don't know in this case but I can imagine during the time the kid has to be strapped in, if they're unhappy, then it will possibly continue until they can be released.

I'm not a parent or trying to make excuses for them, it's just how it is and I have a great deal of sympathy for parents I see, it is incredibly stressful travelling with children and I can see how embarrassed they often are when the kids are playing up and nothing they try will stop it. I try to give a reassuring smile, it seems to often make their day; I guess because of all their dirty looks others have given them a bit of human kindness if well received.

I think many probably have very rose tinted views about their own behaviour as a child. The child that never plays up is a very, very rare thing indeed.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 8:15 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE

Sounds like the severe case of ear pain given the time frame (a while after take-off and a while before landing until shortly afterwards). It's a problem with a lot of kids because they can't (or haven't been taught even if they are at the age to be able to learn) clear their ears to equalise it. Some children do suffer from it severely enough to scream and kick out.

Parents should be made aware of this (IMO there should be a compulsory reading for parents to prepare them for flights before they take them flying, because it can be incredibly cruel to young children, because it can often be solved or at least helped with boiled sweets etc., or bottle/breast feeding for younger ones) for the sake of their own children more than anything else and know how to manage this, as well as for the comfort of other passengers.

If the children cannot be made to sit belted in, then perhaps the parents should not take them flying until they can do so. It's not in their interest if they cannot be safely strapped in, especially during turbulence. Small children can and do become a flying object more easily during severe turbulence.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 12:43 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Sounds like the severe case of ear pain given the time frame (a while after take-off and a while before landing until shortly afterwards). It's a problem with a lot of kids because they can't (or haven't been taught even if they are at the age to be able to learn) clear their ears to equalise it. Some children do suffer from it severely enough to scream and kick out.

Parents should be made aware of this (IMO there should be a compulsory reading for parents to prepare them for flights before they take them flying, because it can be incredibly cruel to young children, because it can often be solved or at least helped with boiled sweets etc., or bottle/breast feeding for younger ones) for the sake of their own children more than anything else and know how to manage this, as well as for the comfort of other passengers.

If the children cannot be made to sit belted in, then perhaps the parents should not take them flying until they can do so. It's not in their interest if they cannot be safely strapped in, especially during turbulence. Small children can and do become a flying object more easily during severe turbulence.
You are, of course, quite correct. When I was a little girl I used to have terrible ear pain - I would not wish it on Boris Johnson. The cure was that I had my tonsils and adenoids out when I was about 7. I have never had it since. They do not do this procedure any more and it is a pity. It also cured my food faddiness as I was a very difficult child to feed.

The crew believed that it was a matter of the seat and her refusal and protest thereon. What I did not mention was that she started carrying on in the passport hall - I'd been through the machine so escaped - but your points are often overlooked by others suffering the din.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold. Kangorucci. NZGE.KLM Gold. VS gold
I remember when NZ used to give you neo-synephrine gel on a tissue and a couple of ear buds which you covered in gel and then had to place them about 5 cm into each nasal cavity and leave them there for a few minutes; have to say worked an absolute treat if you had ear pain but did mean you had the cotton buds poking out of your nose for all to see. Haven't seen them for about 20 years. Probably difficult to get the child to tolerate......
Old Aug 8, 2017, 1:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by nallison
I imagine keeping the kid in the seat is what caused the tantrum, it's a case where parents doing the right thing is unfortunately going to lead to some bother. And there is nothing you can really do, sometimes because when they're tired or stressed or their ears hurt (note it only happened in takeoff and landing) kids can make some noise. And it makes it rather difficult at times when they are required to be in their seat so their parents can't even comfort them as they normally would. What can they really do? I don't know in this case but I can imagine during the time the kid has to be strapped in, if they're unhappy, then it will possibly continue until they can be released.

I'm not a parent or trying to make excuses for them, it's just how it is and I have a great deal of sympathy for parents I see, it is incredibly stressful travelling with children and I can see how embarrassed they often are when the kids are playing up and nothing they try will stop it. I try to give a reassuring smile, it seems to often make their day; I guess because of all their dirty looks others have given them a bit of human kindness if well received.

I think many probably have very rose tinted views about their own behaviour as a child. The child that never plays up is a very, very rare thing indeed.
Great post
Old Aug 8, 2017, 1:48 pm

It's incredibly childish (relevant to this thread!), but has anyone tried whipping out their *own* cell phone, put it on speaker and checked their voicemail or placed a call to a friend? It would be incredibly annoying, but very satisfying.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by T8191

Merci beaucoup, M. Google, pour votre assentiment.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 7:02 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sunshinebob
Already moved to a quieter zone following the most anoying kid ever. Talking loudly and pointing at the planes.. "look at that plane dad" closely followed by "look at that plane dad" , "look at those planes dad" , "look at that bag dad" , "look at that green plane dad" and so on and on and on for 40 mins..

Now got loud talking mobile man with a sharp suit and a dull mind.. Kill me now....
Awww... and enthusiastic kid looking at planes... give me that any day over ANY businessman. Especially on their phone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.