Wiki Posts
Search

Situation with Amex 2-4-1

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2017, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Situation with Amex 2-4-1

Hi all

I've got a bit of an awkward situation. I have 4 F seats booked with 2 2-4-1 vouchers. I need to change one of the people travelling but understand that I can't change any names. I don't want to cancel because everything else on the holiday is booked and the seats are unlikely to go back to reward availability.

I had an idea to book a separate economy ticket for the new person, and then see if they would be allowed to sit in the spare F seat that I will not be using.

Or are there any other suggestions hat anyone knows of? I've even thought about deed poll!

Thanks

Ben
Old Jul 30, 2017, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
This is unfortunate - the fourth person will "no show" and (if at T5) miss conformance meaning the seat may be used for someone else (OpUp, over book, movements to allow staff travel etc etc)

Either way your new fourth person will remain firmly in Y. At least cancel and get the £500 charges back. Easy enough to split the booking and get your money back
Old Jul 30, 2017, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by fodenben
I had an idea to book a separate economy ticket for the new person, and then see if they would be allowed to sit in the spare F seat that I will not be using.
When the 4th passenger fails to show it will be an empty seat for BA to sell or use as they see fit and not your spare F seat, so I doubt very much that this will work. There will also be many people in line for an upgrade before your new Y passenger (unless of course he/she is a Prem or GGL...).
Old Jul 30, 2017, 9:52 am

There is a way to do it (provided no visa check is required), but many on here see it as dishonourable.

EDIT - scratch this - it won't work.

Last edited by rossmacd; Jul 30, 2017 at 10:01 am
Old Jul 30, 2017, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Wow that was quick.

So that was a rubbish plan then!

Are there any occasions where the call centre might change a name? My plans are pretty fixed over there now so I'm not sure what else I can do.

If if I cancel one of the 2-4-1 seats, would it affect the other?
Old Jul 30, 2017, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Splitting and cancelling one passenger would not impact the flights at all. Where and when are you going? Someone could check how busy the flight is for you and assess the chances of that F seat coming back to Reward availability
Old Jul 30, 2017, 10:17 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The best I can think of, and assuming the Amex cardholder is still travelling, is to ask them to split the reservation and remove the 2-4-1 (for later use, and assuming you still have time validity on the voucher). Thereby one ticket is plain redemption and you would at least get most of the taxes/fees back. The new traveller gets an Avios or revenue seat in whatever cabin is available/affordable.

Then after the following midnight see what happens. If First gives a new availability of one, then in theory you can cancel the revenue ticket and amend the previously split redemption to get back to where you started, albeit with 2 amendment fees. If CW is available you could consider 2 in there, 2 in First, both on 2-4-1.

This works on revenue tickets only within 24 hours after initial booking. If the replacement ticket is Avios, then it works until 24 hours before departure.

On BA, name changes is essentially a big no-no. The four exceptions I can think of are (a) marriage (b) group tickets (c) BA Holidays deposits and (d) 72 hour holds. BA is not alone in maintaining strict rules in this area.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 10:25 am

Programs: Varies
I was able to change names on a 2-4-1 booking by phoning and asking (I was blue at the time), but it was back in 2005 so maybe the rules have changed. It doesn't hurt to ask.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 11:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ttama
I was able to change names on a 2-4-1 booking by phoning and asking (I was blue at the time), but it was back in 2005 so maybe the rules have changed. It doesn't hurt to ask.
Was this within 24 hours of the initial booking? That's another circumstance where it is allowed.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 1:01 pm

Whilst this is said with some jest, I wonder if there are cases where it really is the best option... how long does it take/how much does it cost to change your name and get a new passport in the name of the booking?
Old Jul 30, 2017, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
u
If CW is available you could consider 2 in there, 2 in First, both on 2-4-1.

If using 2 2-4-1 vouchers are you allowed to split the class ?
Old Jul 30, 2017, 5:07 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TPloser
If using 2 2-4-1 vouchers are you allowed to split the class ?
No. Same class for all.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
No. Same class for all.
That's a pity. It would have give him a few more options (and me for that matter).
Old Jul 30, 2017, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by charlie1105
Whilst this is said with some jest, I wonder if there are cases where it really is the best option... how long does it take/how much does it cost to change your name and get a new passport in the name of the booking?
It's really not a terrible idea, 145 quid for a new passport and then changing back (better value if passport is near expiry as it'd be a new 10 year passport)

Just need to do name change - very simple - and then get proof you are using this e.g. bank statement - perhaps on a little used account
Old Jul 30, 2017, 10:47 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by sammyg901
It's really not a terrible idea, 145 quid for a new passport and then changing back (better value if passport is near expiry as it'd be a new 10 year passport)

Just need to do name change - very simple - and then get proof you are using this e.g. bank statement is - perhaps on a little used account
Not that I am advocating such a crazy option, the change of name deed itself will be sufficient. No other proofs are necessary. However, suspicions may be raised in the Passport Office when a further passport is required in such a short period with yet another change of name deed or statutory declaration rescinding the previous change of name. There are other legal considerations but these are really outside the scope of FT discussion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.