Wiki Posts
Search

RT Fuel Surcharge Greater than Sum of OWs

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2017, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: MP(1K) Million Miler, Marriott Plat
RT Fuel Surcharge Greater than Sum of OWs

I am looking at using Avios for a RT from NY to FCO, off peak. The total fuel surcharge for a RT is about $1,150, while the outbound is $560 and the inbound is $360, for a total of $920, still exorbitant but not a bad deal with the 40% bonus. (All $ amounts approximate.)

What am I doing wrong? Should I just book two OW tickets? I am new to using Avios.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by TheCount2
I am looking at using Avios for a RT from NY to FCO, off peak. The total fuel surcharge for a RT is about $1,150, while the outbound is $560 and the inbound is $360, for a total of $920, still exorbitant but not a bad deal with the 40% bonus. (All $ amounts approximate.)

What am I doing wrong? Should I just book two OW tickets? I am new to using Avios.
The fuel surcharges from the US are greater than those charged from the EU or UK. If you get a roundtrip ticket the surcharge for both the outbound and the inbound are calculated using the US fuel surcharges. If you choose one ways then the outbound will be charged the US surcharges and the inbound will be assessed the EU or UK surcharges. See these threads:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...d-trip-us.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...vs-return.html
Old Jul 25, 2017, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

A little OT, but have you checked availability on AB or IB from JFK to FCO? You can redeem BA Avios on AB with no surcharges -- although you'd be charged more Avios, since partner redemptions are always charged at the "peak" rate.

If you can find award space on IB, you could simply convert your Amex MR points to Iberia Plus Avios, with the same 40% transfer bonus; there will be some surcharges on an Iberia Plus redemption for travel on Iberia metal, but they are modest compared to what BA would charge.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MP(1K) Million Miler, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by guv1976
A little OT, but have you checked availability on AB or IB from JFK to FCO? You can redeem BA Avios on AB with no surcharges -- although you'd be charged more Avios, since partner redemptions are always charged at the "peak" rate.

If you can find award space on IB, you could simply convert your Amex MR points to Iberia Plus Avios, with the same 40% transfer bonus; there will be some surcharges on an Iberia Plus redemption for travel on Iberia metal, but they are modest compared to what BA would charge.
On BA.com there are two JFK to FCO flights available in Premium Economy, but I am looking for Business. For that one way BA's charge is about $160. Nothing shows up on BA.com for AB.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
On BA.com there are two JFK to FCO flights available in Premium Economy, but I am looking for Business. For that one way BA's charge is about $160. Nothing shows up on BA.com for AB.
The ba.com website sometimes has trouble displaying reward-seat availability on partner carriers when a connection is involved. If you are interested in pursuing reward availability on AB or IB, I'd suggest searching segment-by-segment, i.e., JFK-MAD, MAD-FCO; and JFK-DUS/TXL, and DUS-TXL-FCO. But because of the high surcharges BA assesses, I think it will be easier to find Business-class reward seats on BA than on AB or IB.

Edited to add: It is also easy to search for AB and IB reward seats on aa.com -- no log-in is required.

Good luck!

Last edited by guv1976; Jul 25, 2017 at 3:18 pm
Old Jul 26, 2017, 1:49 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
It's usually best to book redemption flights as two one-ways, because you will often find cheaper fees, and it gives you more flexibility. The only downside is having to pay the cancellation fee twice if you cancel the whole trip.

The exception to this being if you're using a 2-4-1 voucher of course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.