Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Access to AA lounge on domestic leg of international flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2017, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

I am travelling HNL-LAX-LHR with AA / BA on a BA flight number in Business, I can get into a lounge in LAX but am less clear on HNL. With the first leg of the journey being domestic will that preclude me despite the overall flight / booking being international?

I am currently Bronze

Many Thanks
Old Jul 22, 2017, 12:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
As you are on an international flight in Business on the same day, AA should allow you access in HNL.
mrow likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
From oneworld.com:
oneworld lounge access for First Class or Business Class customers

Indulge yourself before departure in a wider range of airport lounges when you fly First Class or Business Class with any oneworld member airline.
Customers flying First or Business Class have access to the equivalent class of lounge regardless of their frequent flyer status. First Class passengers may use a Business Class or frequent flyer lounge if a First Class lounge is not available.
First Class passengers may invite one guest to join them in the lounge. The guest must also be travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld airline.
Connecting between oneworld marketed and operated flights: First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day, can access the lounge when travelling between an international long haul (a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours) and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa).
Lounge access will be determined on the international long haul ticketed flight (either First of Business Class) regardless of the ticketed class of travel on the international short haul or domestic flight.
You must be prepared to show your boarding pass or itinerary showing travel in First or Business class on the international long haul flight, in order to access the lounge before your international short haul or domestic flight.

The following exceptions apply:
1. First and Business Class customers who do not hold Emerald or Sapphire tier status are not eligible to access American Airlines lounges when travelling on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico [except Mexico City], the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean; customers travelling in First or Business class on U.S. transcontinental flights between JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO and MIA-LAX (and vice-versa) are eligible for lounge access.
2. Guests are not permitted at Qatar Airways’ Al Safwa First and Al Mourjan Business lounges in Doha (DOH), or Qatar Airways’ Premium Lounges at Dubai (DXB), London (LHR) and Paris (CDG).
Old Jul 23, 2017, 3:05 am

Interestingly, I had this issue at PHL on a DUB-PHL-NCO Buisness class trip.
At the virtually empty AA lounge at PHL, the couple in front of us at entrance who had been on the same flight as us were being denied access as the pho-mco was not eligible for access.
I had to explain to the gate dragon, what the rules were. She then let us all in. It may be the couple hadn't explained properly, but it's confusing for Europeans not to gave lounge access when travelling in business/first
Old Jul 23, 2017, 3:26 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Cattle Class
I am travelling HNL-LAX-LHR with AA / BA on a BA flight number in Business, I can get into a lounge in LAX but am less clear on HNL. With the first leg of the journey being domestic will that preclude me despite the overall flight / booking being international?

I am currently Bronze

Many Thanks
I'm in a similar situation, traveling AA J HNL-DFW-EZE. I reached out by email to AA customer care dept, and they very specifically said I will have access to the lounge in HNL. I'm bringing the email with me

Edit: I have no status.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 7:30 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
I do not believe we can use all AA lounges when going from SFO -> JFK -> LHR or LHR -> LFK -> SFO as we have an overnight in JFK both inbound and outbound. Or can we? I'm not 100% sure.

I assume despite being Gold, we are still limited to the business lounge and can't use the first lounge in JFK (if the rules even allow us to do that).

This is complicated by the overnight in both directions (the return layover is about 10 hours in JFK, but actually the same day as we do not arrive there from SFO until gone midnight)

All very confusing!

Our flights are.....

LHR (3) - JFK (8)

Flight Number: AA0105
Depart: 14:30
Arrive: 17:20
Cabin: Business

(Overnight)

JFK (8) - SFO (2)

Flight Number: AA0179
Depart: 11:00
Arrive: 14:19

SF0 (2) - JFK (8)

Flight Number: AA0020
Depart: 15:30
Arrive: 00:11

(overnight)

JFK (8) - KHR (3)

Flight Number: AA0142
Depart: 10:25
Arrive: 22:10

Any guidance would be appreciated!
Old Jul 23, 2017, 10:46 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Gentle Giant - I am afraid you're out of luck. From the OneWorld rules posted earlier:

First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day, can access the lounge when travelling between an international long haul (a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours) and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa).
I think the problem with the return is that the international flight departs the day following your domestic flight departs (I am pretty sure they will look at the departure date of the international flight and domestic flights - rather than the arrival time).
Old Jul 23, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by dcmike
Gentle Giant - I am afraid you're out of luck. From the OneWorld rules posted earlier:
But you can use your BA Gold status to go into any J or F lounge regardless. The international flight requirement is only for AA elites accessing AA lounges in the USA. Other OW elites can access AA lounges in the USA using their OW status on purely domestic (USA) itineraries.

As you have BA Gold you can use the Admirals Club and the Flagship Lounge at JFK T8. You won't have access to Flagship dining though without being in F. You can also use the Admirals club at SFO.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by GentleGiant
I do not believe we can use all AA lounges when going from SFO -> JFK -> LHR or LHR -> LFK -> SFO as we have an overnight in JFK both inbound and outbound. Or can we? I'm not 100% sure.

I assume despite being Gold, we are still limited to the business lounge and can't use the first lounge in JFK (if the rules even allow us to do that).

This is complicated by the overnight in both directions (the return layover is about 10 hours in JFK, but actually the same day as we do not arrive there from SFO until gone midnight)

All very confusing!

Our flights are.....

LHR (3) - JFK (8)

Flight Number: AA0105
Depart: 14:30
Arrive: 17:20

(Overnight)

JFK (8) - SFO (2)

Flight Number: AA0179
Depart: 11:00
Arrive: 14:19

SF0 (2) - JFK (8)

Flight Number: AA0020
Depart: 15:30
Arrive: 00:11

(overnight)

JFK (8) - KHR (3)

Flight Number: AA0142
Depart: 10:25
Arrive: 22:10

Any guidance would be appreciated!
You have access at all J/F lounges, on the basis of your BA Gold card.

Originally Posted by dcmike

I think the problem with the return is that the international flight departs the day following your domestic flight departs (I am pretty sure they will look at the departure date of the international flight and domestic flights - rather than the arrival time).
Rubbish.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 10:54 am

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by rossmacd
You have access at all J/F lounges, on the basis of your BA Gold card.
Correct, which is exactly why I earn BA Gold and AA EXP.

Originally Posted by rossmacd
Rubbish.
Far more succinct than my explaination above
Old Jul 23, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Mea culpa!! I overlooked the Gold status! I humbly apologize for my "rubbish!"

I had assumed like the previous posters that GG had no status (or not enough status for lounge access).
Old Jul 23, 2017, 11:49 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Originally Posted by mrow
But you can use your BA Gold status to go into any J or F lounge regardless. The international flight requirement is only for AA elites accessing AA lounges in the USA. Other OW elites can access AA lounges in the USA using their OW status on purely domestic (USA) itineraries.

As you have BA Gold you can use the Admirals Club and the Flagship Lounge at JFK T8. You won't have access to Flagship dining though without being in F. You can also use the Admirals club at SFO.
Thanks.

So the next day doesn't matter?

We can just use the flagship lounges where they exist?
Old Jul 23, 2017, 11:51 am

Thanks.

No, not at all. It is your BA Gold card that gets you entry, not your flight ticket.

Yes, but not the Flagship dining provision, as previously advised.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 12:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Thanks.

Yes, for all golds in the party +1 guest each.

In fact, you could do so in economy. Capacity constraints might cause you an issue occasionally, but otherwise, you have access.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 10:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Can one enjoy the Flagship Lounge at DFW if you're connecting FROM HKG to a domestic flight? As an EXP, I have often gone to the Flagship Lounges connecting TO an international flight. This time I have a long layover and wondered about the return trip.

Thanks! Mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.