FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Personal Welcome Message (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1854855-personal-welcome-message.html)

Purim Jul 18, 2017 5:57 pm

I have seen a recent uptick in greetings and I like it. Kinda like a DYKWIA hall pass. Much appreciated on the last s/h when some silver with seemingly hoards of bags pushed by me on boarding with a ''scuse me I am silver' only to be seated next to me in the middle seat of the exit row. I loved the csm for that greeting.....

FeedbirdNiner Jul 18, 2017 5:57 pm

I got one for my first flight in CW. It was a very nice touch although it made my 'imposter syndrome' a little worse!

orbitmic Jul 18, 2017 10:01 pm

It's fairly random both in terms of occurrence and content, and in my experience less frequent on short haul Y since BoB was introduced as I suspect CSD CSMs are worried that when they offer the standard 'if there is anything we can do...' people will actually have an answer (like 'since you're offering I'd actually love a cup of tea!' Or something equally outrageous!)

you get anything from 'I just wanted to introduce myself' or 'thanks to flying with us so much' to an unsolicited glass of champagne or even occasionally an onboard upgrade.

MF often seem quite generous. Incidentally, as platinum on FB I am now virtually systematically brought a bottle of water on my AF and often KL flights. Maybe not systematically but >80% occurrence including frequently a 1l bottle of sparkling water for personal use on my recent long haul AF Flights in Y and W

passy777 Jul 18, 2017 10:58 pm

Never had a welcome on BA in recent years, but I am usually 'acknowledged' on QR/CX as OW Emerald.

I couldn't really care less one way or the other and would prefer the crew to focus on service issues that really matter.

windowontheAside Jul 18, 2017 11:50 pm

I really liked the greetings on each of several recent CX flights - a simple "welcome aboard / back WotAs, would you like a bottle of water?" as they handed one over.

I don't need thanking for my custom, or other flattery. The bottle of water was a nice perk, while the greeting was fast and largely unnoticed by those around me.

RockyRobin Jul 19, 2017 12:43 am

Originally Posted by Drive_is_a_good_movie (Post 28576496)
Dear all,

From time to time I have seen on BA flights that some passengers receive a personal welcome message at their seat by an FA (maybe the CSD or CSM?).

How do you qualify for that (Gold? GGL? ...?) and what do they tell you?

Thank you in advance!

Not a message as such but being called by my name on both sectors of my CE trip was a surprise.

rapidex Jul 19, 2017 12:47 am

Originally Posted by dylanks (Post 28576630)
As a point of reference, on the return from JER on the Do over the weekend which is a very very short flight, the CSM stopped by and gave KARFA and I a warm welcome and thank you for flying with BA so much, which seemed convenient to get to thanks two GGL in one shot given that we were in 1D and 1F. Whereas our fellow Do friends in 1A/1C were skipped over. It made for some fun joking with them across the aisle. :) I am generally appreciative that the thank you does not occur on every flight, but I appreciate it when it feels reasonably genuine.

Glad to see KARFA made the lunchtime flight^:D,great to see you in JER.A PHX do in spring would make an excellent addition to the calendar if you could be persuaded to consider.

I have already looked at some complex routings eastbound ex CAI:D

rossmacd Jul 19, 2017 2:40 am

Originally Posted by windowontheAside (Post 28578155)
I really liked the greetings on each of several recent CX flights - a simple "welcome aboard / back WotAs, would you like a bottle of water?" as they handed one over.

I don't need thanking for my custom, or other flattery. The bottle of water was a nice perk, while the greeting was fast and largely unnoticed by those around me.

Fully agreed. All the bluster to massage people's ego is unnecessary. A simple welcome is more than enough, and CX seem to get it right most of the time.

KARFA Jul 19, 2017 2:45 am

Originally Posted by rapidex (Post 28578268)
Glad to see KARFA made the lunchtime flight^:D

You're only storing up trouble for yourself! One day you'll miss your flight and I won't hold back :p:p:p

TheJayHatch Jul 19, 2017 3:10 am

On this morning's packed LHR-WAW all Gs in ET were thanked for loyalty and offered champagne or Buck's Fizz. That's definitely a first for me...

aand013 Jul 19, 2017 4:59 am

BAEC Gold. Two flights in WT+ in june (BA9/10 LHR-BKK-LHR). Not a single word of welcome/greeting or any other token of recognition on any of the flights. Didn't even get served the drinks I asked for on the outbound...

hartwith Jul 19, 2017 5:21 am

I get it on almost all of my BA LH flights, very seldomly on SH (perhaps twice in the past 100 flights). I have also noticed a trend that if it is a holiday route (LGW), I've yet to receive one, yet if it is a business heavy route (east and west coast US), I get one almost without fail.

BostonRobin Jul 19, 2017 9:17 am

Originally Posted by Drive_is_a_good_movie (Post 28576496)
Dear all,

From time to time I have seen on BA flights that some passengers receive a personal welcome message at their seat by an FA (maybe the CSD or CSM?).

How do you qualify for that (Gold? GGL? ...?) and what do they tell you?

Thank you in advance!

So funny, the FA came over and addressed me by name to tell me he had a "message," and of course I assumed the worse. What happened back home that someone had to contact BA to reach out to me???

No, he assured me, "no, it's good news! We would like to welcome you to BRONZE." He added something about where to go online for information about my new status and I might have chuckled a bit. I told him I'd be looking forward to Silver after my next leg.

Gold, otoh, I don't see that happening this cycle... :(

AlienInTheFatherland Jul 19, 2017 10:38 am

Have been travelling several times with Mrs AITF in CE recently. On three of six individual sectors, I got a greeting and she didn't. She was not amused about this.

We are both GCH and were on the same booking, seating next to each other.

Only explanation I have for this is 1) she sits at the window and I am on the aisle and 2) despite being married, we have different surnames.

Still not good form/staff etiquette though. Can they not see all this info on the I-Pad?

HIDDY Jul 19, 2017 10:47 am

All I can say is thank goodness I don't have reward programme status.

Get a life people!! :p