FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Personal Welcome Message (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1854855-personal-welcome-message.html)

Drive_is_a_good_movie Jul 18, 2017 2:20 pm

Personal Welcome Message

Dear all,

From time to time I have seen on BA flights that some passengers receive a personal welcome message at their seat by an FA (maybe the CSD or CSM?).

How do you qualify for that (Gold? GGL? ...?) and what do they tell you?

Thank you in advance!

frank_poulankh Jul 18, 2017 2:33 pm

Not just for Gold or GGL, I got it on my first flight after reaching Silver. I was in WT on a very full LHR - ORD so I was impressed/flattered that they found time to get around to lowly 'ol me :)

EDIT: In my case, the CSM said "Hi, I'm such-and-such. Welcome to Silver. If there's anything I can do for you, please let me know."

ThatT1Feeling Jul 18, 2017 2:34 pm

Hi

Various reasons, sometimes just GGL, sometimes Gold, sometimes a message from the Exec Club which can be anything from "Welcome to Silver" to "We hope you enjoy your first time in CW"

Last week I had a "welcome to your 6th year of GGL" message from a very nice CSD on my way to Helsinki.

However, even as a GGL, most times it never happens, even on longer flights. When it does, it's usually just an introduction and a message along the lines of "if you need anything, let me know"

The information on status and any messages come from the info on the CSD's iPad..

mikeyfly Jul 18, 2017 2:43 pm

Decent BA gold welcome on IB flight to MAD last Friday, haven't had a short haul hello for a while !

headingwest Jul 18, 2017 2:51 pm

Used to get it quite often as a Silver and Gold until BA introduced Buy On Board. Since then not so much as a hello!

Incidentally on my last flight (and my last BA flight of the year) I asked for the usual glass of water as I won't pay for the M&S offering. Luckily for me the next passenger was off-duty CC being plied with drinks from the CSM (I think the most I counted was 4 glasses on the tray table!). Although I was quite happy when he offered me one of his glasses of champagne. :D What a nice chap!

dylanks Jul 18, 2017 2:55 pm

As a point of reference, on the return from JER on the Do over the weekend which is a very very short flight, the CSM stopped by and gave KARFA and I a warm welcome and thank you for flying with BA so much, which seemed convenient to get to thanks two GGL in one shot given that we were in 1D and 1F. Whereas our fellow Do friends in 1A/1C were skipped over. It made for some fun joking with them across the aisle. :) I am generally appreciative that the thank you does not occur on every flight, but I appreciate it when it feels reasonably genuine.

BrianWBrazil Jul 18, 2017 3:43 pm

I was actually greeted by the CSM on achieving Bronze (yes!). Perhaps it was a quiet flight but it was nice touch by the company. She was a lovely lady enjoying her first flight to Rio. I gave her a few tips of safe jogging trails and restaurants to tryout during her turnaround.

mmxbreaks Jul 18, 2017 3:48 pm

It rarely happens before Gold, depending on how many status holders are on the flight I s'pose. Even then, it's entirely down to staff. It happens to me maybe one in every 10 flights.

Here's the trick though: when it does happen and they ask if you'd like anything, say yes without hesitation. Get a comp drink for you and a friend, for example. An extra pillow, maybe. Whatever suits.

scottishpoet Jul 18, 2017 3:52 pm

I sort of got one when I first made Bronze. It shocked and stunned me when the CSD apologised to me, and only me, for the flight being late. So I went looking to find out what was going on and that's wen I found this forum.

Got no recognition when I made Silver

Had recognition occasionally when I was Gold. Best was when the CSD/CSM whatever mentioned me by name as I got of the flight. I had been sat in row 12 in economy

Jed Jul 18, 2017 3:58 pm

Upon boarding today in ET, without even looking at our boarding passes, it was "Welcome back Mr Jed, let me take those off you to get them signed (children's' logbooks), row 7 today?". I've only ever had that kind of welcome before on SQ, where we spent half the flight wondering how they do that.
I agree BOB has made subsequent interactions few and far between in ET, which is how the rest of the flight went. But we were chuffed that TS paid off and the A, C, D strategy worked, with the B and E seats blocked.
Upon exit, again addressed by name, plus invitation for the boys to go up to the flight deck.
Great CSM.

I must say the last few European flights we have taken in CE /ET have been extremely impressive.

rockflyertalk Jul 18, 2017 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by headingwest (Post 28576614)
Used to get it quite often as a Silver and Gold until BA introduced Buy On Board. Since then not so much as a hello!

Incidentally on my last flight (and my last BA flight of the year) I asked for the usual glass of water as I won't pay for the M&S offering. Luckily for me the next passenger was off-duty CC being plied with drinks from the CSM (I think the most I counted was 4 glasses on the tray table!). Although I was quite happy when he offered me one of his glasses of champagne. :D What a nice chap!

I think getting a hello and food in SH Y is now pushing the proverbial boat out! I mean you can't expect both surely? :D

TheJayHatch Jul 18, 2017 4:12 pm

Got BAEC Gold for the first time a couple of months back and I've been personally welcomed on nearly every flight since (including being woken on a leisure flight back Sat am from a heavy night in CPH :))
I've come to the conclusion they are after my Golden Ticket (or whatever it's called). I'd prefer the anonymity!

ShuttleRunner Jul 18, 2017 4:17 pm

Varies - from nothing to a lovely warm handshake as I received my last flight (granted it was in F). I've not been on BA for a few weeks now but have had recognition on 3 LATAM flights in the past week, which was unexpected!

Not my favourite thing but nice if it's done genuinely. I have been called 'Mr' before by crew who was so focussed on the iPad they didn't even realise I was a woman...

flylikelinz Jul 18, 2017 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by mikeyfly (Post 28576582)
Decent BA gold welcome on IB flight to MAD last Friday, haven't had a short haul hello for a while !

I had this on a few times now. most recently one of the shuttles from BCN-MAD. after boarding had finished I was in row 23 or something and the cabin manager walked from the front galley all the way down without stopping until she reached me, looked at the older man in suit next to me and said Mr linzbh? and I raised my hand. thats me! OH MR LINZBH! WELCOME BACK, ITS GREAT PLEASURE TO SEE YOU AGAIN. I AM SO SORRY YOU HAVE BEEN PLACED DOWN THE BACK WITH NO BLOCKED SEAT NEXT TO YOU. BUT I HAVE A WHOLE ROW AT THE FRONT OF ECONOMY FOR YOU! PLEASE COME.

every spaniard looking at me like I'm a celebrity. I don't know why, but is it really hard to reach Gold/Emerald equiv on IB so its a rare site or something? I doubt it. very strange experience. its happened a few times now on that shuttle service.

flylikelinz Jul 18, 2017 4:21 pm

back to BA and more recently last week on flight to Lagos, not even a welcome back at the door by the CSM which is usually all you get on the Lagos flights.