Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA [award] space on BA website

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2017, 9:28 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Just booked an AA sAAver seat via BA (phone agent) even though nothing was showing on BA.com or in her system, but I could see T class availability on EF. She called the OW desk who advised her to try and book a seat on the flight the pax wants, if it accepts then there is reward space available, and they can proceed with the booking.

So if you have EF access, look for T or U availability, and if it shows tell the BA agent to try and book it regardless of what their system is showing as available (or not available).

Hope this helps!

Pilot37

Last edited by Pilot37; Jul 21, 2017 at 9:38 am
Old Jul 21, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Alitalia Freccia Alata
Originally Posted by Pilot37
Just booked an AA sAAver seat via BA (phone agent) even though nothing was showing on BA.com or in her system, but I could see T class availability on EF. She called the OW desk who advised her to try and book a seat on the flight the pax wants, if it accepts then there is reward space available, and they can proceed with the booking.

So if you have EF access, look for T or U availability, and if it shows tell the BA agent to try and book it regardless of what their system is showing as a available (or not available).

Hope this helps!

Pilot37
well done! Glad this worked for you. Do you have status on BA? I do not, and can't seem to reach an agent who will even consider trying to help me.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by OneWorldSapphire
well done! Glad this worked for you. Do you have status on BA? I do not, and can't seem to reach an agent who will even consider trying to help me.
I am lucky enough to be able to call the GGL line and they usually are more accommodating, but using the advice above, tell whatever agent you get that you have been advised by the OW desk on the procedure while the I.T. glitch is on-going and try and force them to attempt the booking.

Best of luck!

Pilot37
Old Jul 21, 2017, 11:06 am
Community Director Emerita

Very helpful. Thank you.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 11:13 am

The glitch seems to be fixed for me. I've been trying to book an AA flight with Avios since Tuesday, and I was finally able to do it about 15 minutes ago.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Alitalia Freccia Alata
Originally Posted by NotJen
The glitch seems to be fixed for me. I've been trying to book an AA flight with Avios since Tuesday, and I was finally able to do it about 15 minutes ago.
Looks fixed for me too, although the 1 SAAver seat on my flight disappeared overnight, so I'm out of luck. Drats.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

yes! fixed! just hours after my grace period to cancel/change a UA award with terrible routing ended... well that's the name of the game! I'll be my 5h layover at Dulles airport thanks to this bug!

Thanks for the help/ updates!
Old Jul 22, 2017, 6:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Fine for me on the day I checked. Still only economy though for the transcon so easier just to the pay the £150 at this point.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:18 am

Programs: BA Silver, AA, DL, AF
Originally Posted by OneWorldSapphire
Actually, the disappointing part is that you were given incorrect information by the BA phone agent. Rather than admit they have another IT issue, this seems to be a preferred explanation for some BA frontline staff - that AA just aren't providing seats for any route/date. But it's not an accurate theory. Some BA agents have admitted this IT issue is known, but have no idea when it will be fixed (I called the Singapore number last night to be told it will likely be "some time").

As stated by the correction posted directly above, as a general rule of thumb all AA SAAver award space is open to BA avios bookings. There is currently an IT glitch which means BA cannot see any AA space at all. Are they viewing this as a priority to fix? That I cannot say.
Well, that really steams me then. Maybe *eventually* I'll be able to use my Avios on AA. It seems to make more sense to use a revenue ticket to go to Europe with the LHR tax. Thanks for the info!
Old Apr 10, 2018, 10:51 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, WN A-List
Same issue as before, no availability showing for me.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 12:36 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by owflyer
Same issue as before, no availability showing for me.
I am seeing availability on a few services I've checked just now. So it may be a temporary glitch. By all means give specific routes and dates if you want someone to investigate furtherr.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 2:07 am

Not seeing anything on any dates for SJC - LAX. Trying to book through onbusiness, but no availability through BAEC account either. Plenty if award availability for the flights I want showing on expertflyer. Hopefully the problem will be fixed soon!
Old Apr 11, 2018, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by flapsat5
Not seeing anything on any dates for SJC - LAX. Trying to book through onbusiness, but no availability through BAEC account either. Plenty if award availability for the flights I want showing on expertflyer. Hopefully the problem will be fixed soon!
I can see plenty of T class availability on the route in EF, but the same dates on BA.com display nothing alright. Try my trick mentioned a few posts above yours from 2017 when this issue last arose. Call BA and tell them the OW Help Desk advised to try and book the flights you want (if you see T class availability in them on EF) regardless of lack of availability which their system is showing.

Pilot37
Old Apr 11, 2018, 4:27 am

I can see plenty of T class availability on the route in EF, but the same dates on BA.com display nothing alright. Try my trick mentioned a few posts above yours from 2017 when this issue last arose. Call BA and tell them the OW Help Desk advised to try and book the flights you want (if you see T class availability in them on EF) regardless of lack of availability which their system is showing.

Pilot37
Yes, saw your post from earlier, thanks. Not urgent, so I'm going to give the issue a chance to clear and then try your method if nothing comes up. Availability has been sporadic on ba.com over the last few weeks, so hoping it will all come back again soon!
Old Apr 11, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Silver, BA, AA, FlyingBlue, IberiaPlus,Wyndham Rewards
Issue still present: success with calling BA

I was looking to book a one way nonstop from DFW to Florida. AA.com showed sAAver space in coach, while BA.com showed no availability, period. I called the BA US Executive Club line and was about as lucky as one could get: I received a friendly representative without any wait and she was knowledgeable enough to work around the issue, resulting in me successfully booking the trip. Here's how it went down:

I first treated the call as a regular booking attempt, without first mentioning that I'd already tried to book on BA.com. I wanted to see if the phone rep might be able to see the space right away. That didn't pan out, as the agent couldn't see any space. I then told her that AA was showing low level award availability on this flight, and that the space should therefore be bookable by any OneWorld partner, including BA, so there must be a technical issue. She agreed, and I asked her to speak with the OneWorld desk about the issue (thanks to the above comment by @Pilot37). She put me on a brief hold, then said she could now see the space. Here's where it gets interesting: she saw not only the flight that I wanted, which was the sole nonstop displayed as available on AA.com, but also another earlier nonstop on the same date which was NOT displayed as available on AA.com. Could this mean that it may be best to call BA even if AA.com isn't showing any availability?

After making the booking, the agent attempted to charge me the phone booking fee, which she promptly waived after I objected that the only reason I called is because the technical issue with BA's site made it impossible for me to book online. After all was said and done, I thanked her, complimented her on her knowledge and willingness to work around the issue, and asked her if she could tell me anything that could help me guide a lesser informed phone rep to the techniques that she employed. She only said that she had to change her screen view from "redemption" to "available." She was not keen to elaborate beyond that, but did state that it did not require supervisory authority to do this when I asked. I'm thinking this explains how she came back with another flight which was not available on AA.com. The other flight was available for sale, but not for redemption, and had we tried to "manually" book the award on that flight as opposed to the one showing as available on AA.com, I doubt it would have worked out.
golfmad likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.