Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for BA marketed flight based in SIN to maintain BAEC status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2017, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

I'm based in Singapore and currently have silver BAEC status. I have enough tier points to maintain status for next year but am missing 1 BA operated/marketed flight.

Can anyone shed any suggestions on how I can attain that 1 required flight being based in Singapore? If I try short hops to/from Thailand on ba.com it brings up BA marketed flights operated by Bangkok airlines but it's unable to price.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Paul.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 9:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I suspect that your choices of flights are either Sydney or London
Old Jul 15, 2017, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by twocom
Hi,

I'm based in Singapore and currently have silver BAEC status. I have enough tier points to maintain status for next year but am missing 1 BA operated/marketed flight.

Can anyone shed any suggestions on how I can attain that 1 required flight being based in Singapore? If I try short hops to/from Thailand on ba.com it brings up BA marketed flights operated by Bangkok airlines but it's unable to price.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Paul.
Hi Paul,
Other than putting in a short haul BA/IB sector next time you're in Europe, your geographic options are limited to SIN-LHR, KUL-LHR or SIN-SYD. The qualifier is the flight has to be operated on BA/IB metal in order to qualify for the 4 sector status requirement.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 10:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
Hi Paul,
Other than putting in a short haul BA/IB sector next time you're in Europe, your geographic options are limited to SIN-LHR, KUL-LHR or SIN-SYD. The qualifier is the flight has to be operated on BA/IB metal in order to qualify for the 4 sector status requirement.
According to the BAEC it states:

About eligible flights

Eligible flights are defined as those flights marketed or operated by British Airways and those flights marketed and operated by Iberia.

'Marketed' means the flight will have a BA flight number (in your itinerary or on your ticket).
'Operated' means the aircraft that you travel on is a British Airways aircraft (including franchises and BACityflyer).
'Marketed and operated by Iberia' means the flight will have an IB flight number and the aircraft you travel on is an Iberia aircraft (including franchises).
As such I believe I should be able to get a BA 'Marketed' flight from SIN to somewhere nearby, in theory?...

Last edited by twocom; Jul 15, 2017 at 10:29 pm Reason: Added better quoting
Old Jul 15, 2017, 10:32 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold

As such I believe I should be able to get a BA 'Marketed' flight from SIN to somewhere nearby, in theory?...
Except such continuation codeshares on a partner can only be booked in conjunction with booking the primary BA flight eg LHR-Asia-xxx (or rtn to LHR)

One can not book such BA codeshares on neworld partners indepentently of the initialand required primary flight.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 10:36 pm
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
Hi Paul,
Not correct, a qualifying flight can be BA marketed (codeshare).

The majority of codeshares can only be booked as part of a longhaul itinerary connecting to/from a longhaul BA metal flight and cannot be booked on their own.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 10:42 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold

I live in Singapore myself and unfortunately not.

There are many BA marketed flights like for example the Jetstar flight to Medan that was discussed a few weeks back in this forum, many MH flights to Penang, Lankawi etc. And I remember seeing BA flight numbers in Bali. However It is not possible to book these BA marketed flights independently unless it is on a BA itinerary connected to a BA operated flight.

You can book a flight to Melbourne via Sydney for example and on the same booking connect to a BA marketed flight operated by Qantas to Melbourne. A return like that would give you 4 BA qualifying flights. I have done it before to Auckland and back. The rest of the tier points I do with MH in regional business to Korea, Taiwan, Shanghai, at 360tp return. Or, Bkk, domestic Malaysia, HK at 160tp return.

It seems you need to do a weekend trip to Sydney.

Globalist

*beaten to it by the guru's
Old Jul 16, 2017, 12:20 am

One "trick" is to book one of these in conjunction with a flight to the UK - with a very long "stopover" in Singapore. Particularly for Koh Samui this can actually work out cost effective if you wanted a trip anyway

Otherwise I did a quick day trip to Amsterdam last year when I was home and am considering a CE trip to Newcastle when I am back over Xmas

The other option is Sydney as mentioned

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.