Wiki Posts
Search

Payment card required for travel

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2017, 4:43 am
Original Poster

Payment card required for travel

Hi.

I've read lots about this, both here and on ba.com. I'd like some further clarification if possible.

I have the all too familiar scenario whereby the debit card used for payment is no longer valid. Actually I still have the original card, which is valid date wise until way after travel. The card was cancelled at my request due to card fraud. So, I have the original card and a new card with different number and expiry date. Do you think I'll have to go to a ticket desk (if I'm not using online check-in) or will the self service machines and check-in staff just check the old card, as I assume they don't actually do anything with it and it's purely for ID purposes?

Thanks.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
It is purely for ID purposes.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 4:53 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
To add, it is very very very unlikely you would be asked for the card anyway.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 4:57 am

Programs: BA Gold
Never had this with BA. Have had colleagues in trouble on Silkair and Air India but nobody with BA and we have about 30 people travelling on my credit card each year.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
If you still have the old card, you can show it and you're good. They do not attempt to authorise it or take a payment.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 7:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
What happens if your company has paid for the flights through a travel agent?
Old Jul 14, 2017, 7:32 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Knickam
Then you tell the agent that at check in on the very remote chance they ask to see the card.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 8:33 am

Programs: British Airways Gold, IHG Spire Elite, HHonours Gold.
I had the exact same scenario a few years ago. Ticket booked on a MasterCard some weeks before, confirmed and money taken, but the card was then cancelled due to fraud a couple of weeks later.

Fast forward a few weeks, and online check in via the app and website failed and told me to go to the airport. I spoke to CS and they could not tell me what the issue was, but that the flight booking was OK but it was now under Heathrows control so I should go slightly earlier the next day.

When I arrived and tried to check in at the check in desks (not machines) I was told that I had to go to the ticketing desk. I had to produce the new card and explain what had happened to the old card, but also had to show identification.

The ticket was (re)issued and all was ok. I'm not sure whether BA run a secondary check on card details after it's been ticketed or not - especially as it was a domestic flight and hence you could get all the way through to your final destination without showin any ID whatsoever otherwise.

Last edited by thepinkponce; Jul 14, 2017 at 8:42 am
Old Jul 14, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: BA Silver, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
I have never been asked to show the credit card I made my reservation with on any airline, it does obviously happen on the rare occasion.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by Knickam
Nothing. This is only for tickets booked on ba.com. If the person paying is not travelling, you can tick that and behind the scenes more thorough cardholder not present security checks will be done.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: HH Diamond
I was asked to show the card once at PHL for a PHL-LHR BA flight. Didn't have it, because the card had long gone.

Explained that, and it was all ok...
Old Jul 14, 2017, 1:46 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
I've seen this twice with BA. Once was for myself, similar situation to the OP, the payment card was replaced by the card issuer (due to possible fraud) between booking and travelling. I couldn't OLCI and had to visit the ticketing desk at LCY for validation and to get the BP issued. I did have the old and new cards.

The other occasion was when a colleague was checking a bag at GOT, the agent asked him for the payment card. There wasn't a card fraud issue, we never found out why it was requested.

That's my experience over many hundreds of BA flights.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 3:21 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I had a similar experience with a flight paid for with a card that was subsequently cancelled for fraudulent usage. I was not able to check in online, and at the airport I was sent to the ticket desk.

The way it was explained to me was that the payment card is re-authorised a few days before travel as a fraud prevention measure. They proceeded to reissue my ticket using a new payment card, which was a bit of a palaver and took around 30 minutes.

Like everyone else, I have never been asked for the payment card in any normal circumstance.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 4:06 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond
was once asked for my credit card for a BA flight: FCO to LGW.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 4:21 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Just adding more reference:

1. I was once asked by BA about my payment card. I have just received my new credit card and booked a last minute award flight between LHR and EDI. The booking was not ticketed and after i showed them my card upon request it was ticketed and BP issued.

2. I redeemed Avios flights for my parents on CX. No questions asked at HKG check-in.

3. Paid Ryanair flights for my friends on my card. I wasn't travelling and FR didn't ask anything. I booked directly.

4. Paid KLM flights for my friends on my card from Manchester to Lima. Again no questions asked though booked via OTA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.