Wiki Posts
Search

Eligible Flights

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2017, 6:21 am
Original Poster

Eligible Flights

Hi guys,

This may be pretty convoluted, but bear with me.

Last year wasn't a great year for travel and I lost my silver status. It reset on the 8th July - which is great timing as I have a few long flights coming up. Unfortunately none of them BA, but all OneWorld.

I have the following coming up - all Business class.
Iberia - LHR-MAD-CMN & Return (160 TP)
Qatar - LHR-DOH-CGK & Return (560 TP)

Using BA's tier point calculator I've worked out that i should have 720 TP - which comfortably puts me in Silver.

My question is though - do any of those qualify as "Eligible Flights" or do I need to take some quick hops with BA somewhere to get the status?

I'm also travelling on a companion ticket to JFK a week after - I know I don't get anything for those - but does that flight count as an "eligible flight"?

Thanks,

Robcoh
Old Jul 12, 2017, 6:24 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Only flights you travel on count as eligible flights. You get no credit for other people's flights.

To be eligible flights they must be either marketed or operated by BA, or they must be marketed and operated by IB.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...s/public/en_gb

Eligible flights are defined as those flights marketed or operated by British Airways and those flights marketed and operated by Iberia.

-'Marketed' means the flight will have a BA flight number (in your itinerary or on your ticket).
-'Operated' means the aircraft that you travel on is a British Airways aircraft (including franchises and BACityflyer).
-'Marketed and operated by Iberia' means the flight will have an IB flight number and the aircraft you travel on is an Iberia aircraft (including franchises).

Reward bookings and agency or industry discounted bookings are not eligible.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 6:24 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
The four flights LHR-MAD-CMN will all count if IB operated and marketed or if on BA metal.

LHR-DOH-CGK won't be eligible flights but don't need to be.

Redemption bookings don't count; again it shouldn't be a problem.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 6:27 am
Original Poster

@KARFA & @Cymro,

Thanks for your swift response and the link.

From what I gather then I should be Bronze by the time I land in CGK and Silver by the time I return - which is awesome.

Now I need to work on getting to Gold! Thanks for your help on this one!

RobCoh
Old Jul 12, 2017, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by Robcoh
@KARFA & @Cymro,

Thanks for your swift response and the link.

From what I gather then I should be Bronze by the time I land in CGK and Silver by the time I return - which is awesome.

Now I need to work on getting to Gold! Thanks for your help on this one!

RobCoh
You mean GGL^
Flame3601 and bisonrav like this.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Sorry for bumping my own post but I've now got another question.

The tier points have posted for 6 of my 8 flights. I'm still in Jakarta with two more to go.

The app is saying 440 TPs "Bronze Achieved" however it's all still blue. I've tried closing etc. Nothing. And when I log in to BA.com it still shows me as blue.

Do I just wait it out. Is there any risk of the final 2 flights not crediting me to silver for next week?

Thanks,

Rob
Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:10 am

Sorry for bumping my own post but I've now got another question.

The tier points have posted for 6 of my 8 flights. I'm still in Jakarta with two more to go.

The app is saying 440 TPs "Bronze Achieved" however it's all still blue. I've tried closing etc. Nothing. And when I log in to BA.com it still shows me as blue.

Do I just wait it out. Is there any risk of the final 2 flights not crediting me to silver for next week?

Thanks,

Rob
Have the TPs taking you over 300 just shown today? It usually takes another day or two for the status itself to update. I would wait for a day or two and you should show as bronze.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 11:32 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express
Now I need to work on getting to Gold!
A TP run in J to Vegas from ARN via HEL, LHR, JFK, LAX return will net you 1020 for about 1400 GBP . That will get you to Gold 👍😊 .... and then you can aim for GGL 😊
Old Sep 6, 2017, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by deboyzoned
A TP run in J to Vegas from ARN via HEL, LHR, JFK, LAX return will net you 1020 for about 1400 GBP . That will get you to Gold 👍😊 .... and then you can aim for GGL 😊
Wow - thank you! I've got a Stockholm business trip coming up anyway so wouldn't need to pay for the positioning flights. That's some good knowledge!

One to consider early next year!

Silly question but my annual year is August - presumably when I hit silver (and potentially gold) this year I keep it from August 18 to August 19 too?

Thanks,

Rob
Old Sep 16, 2017, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Hi All,

Just wanted to say thanks for your help on this. I've just checked my app and it's nice and silver! Selected my CW seats for LGW-JFK in a few weeks and have row 1!

Much to my girlfriends hatred I'm now looking at TP runs to help get me to gold!

Thanks all!
Old Sep 16, 2017, 10:09 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Much to my girlfriends hatred I'm now looking at TP runs to help get me to gold!
You do not need a girlfriend or wife as long as you have a gold card , replace the girlfriend ( gf ) for the Galleries first ( GF ) instead .On a side note , the word tier point run does not go down well with Mrs Flame3601 at all these days ( even thou she doesn't mind reaping the perks of the gold card) , i now just extend the "business trip " by a couple hours - some have affairs on business trips , some fly tier point runs. The latter is what i get up to fyi

Happy Wife, Happy Life ... to some degree !
Old Jul 14, 2018, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Only flights you travel on count as eligible flights. You get no credit for other people's flights.

To be eligible flights they must be either marketed or operated by BA, or they must be marketed and operated by IB.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...s/public/en_gb
Has there been a change in the BA policy over what constitutes an "Eligible Flight"? Or has recent changes to the BA website been sloppy resulting in verbiage that may mean something else?

New website:
Gold:
  • Fly with us at least four times and earn 1,500 Tier Points.
Eligible British Airways flights are:
  • British Airways operated flights, including franchises and BA CityFlyer.
  • Flights operated by Iberia, included franchises, with an IB flight number.
Reward flights and industry discounted bookings do not qualify.

Old website:
Eligible flights are defined as those flights marketed or operated by British Airways and those flights marketed and operated by Iberia.
  • 'Marketed' means the flight will have a BA flight number (in your itinerary or on your ticket).
  • 'Operated' means the aircraft that you travel on is a British Airways aircraft (including franchises and BACityflyer).
  • 'Marketed and operated by Iberia' means the flight will have an IB flight number and the aircraft you travel on is an Iberia aircraft (including franchises).

Note how "marketed or operated by British Airways" has changed to "British Airways operated flights".

Is this intentional, and therefore a change in policy, or simply the web developer/marketing team being sloppy?
Old Jul 14, 2018, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by TheRealBabushka
Has there been a change in the BA policy over what constitutes an "Eligible Flight"? Or has recent changes to the BA website been sloppy resulting in verbiage that may mean something else?

New website:
Gold:
  • Fly with us at least four times and earn 1,500 Tier Points.
Eligible British Airways flights are:
  • British Airways operated flights, including franchises and BA CityFlyer.
  • Flights operated by Iberia, included franchises, with an IB flight number.
Reward flights and industry discounted bookings do not qualify.

Old website:
  • 'Marketed' means the flight will have a BA flight number (in your itinerary or on your ticket).
  • 'Operated' means the aircraft that you travel on is a British Airways aircraft (including franchises and BACityflyer).
  • 'Marketed and operated by Iberia' means the flight will have an IB flight number and the aircraft you travel on is an Iberia aircraft (including franchises).

Note how "marketed or operated by British Airways" has changed to "British Airways operated flights".

Is this intentional, and therefore a change in policy, or simply the web developer/marketing team being sloppy?
its been spotted before on the new site and I think the conclusion is sloppy writing rather than deliberate policy change. Eligible flights still seem to be in accordance with the page I linked to, so BA marketed or operated flights.
TheRealBabushka likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 4:18 pm

sorry to resurrect: but I am trying to figure out if anybody else noticed the difference between BA operated and BA operateded+marketed flights. I am looking to requalify for Silver and noticed that my only BA operated flight marketed by AA counted towards 1 of 4 needed "eligible" flights on BA website. As my membership resets this month, would like some clarity or others' obesrvations. While the language is clear "marketed and operated", the flight credit for AAxxxx flight operated by BA seems to have counted for me.
some conflicting info on BA website this:

Eligible flights

as opposed to this (if you click on "eligible flights" in your Progress to Next Tier page of your executive account):

About eligible flights

Eligible flights are defined as those flights marketed and operated by British Airways and those flights marketed and operated by Iberia.

Looks like their website is inconsistent with everything boiling down to "and" and "or", but will just assume that the first version is the correct one, and the link to explain eligible flights in your executive account opens the incorrect definition.

Last edited by LilZeppelin; Nov 3, 2019 at 4:41 pm
Old Nov 3, 2019, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by LilZeppelin
sorry to resurrect: but I am trying to figure out if anybody else noticed the difference between BA operated and BA operateded+marketed flights. I am looking to requalify for Silver and noticed that my only BA operated flight marketed by AA counted towards 1 of 4 needed "eligible" flights on BA website. As my membership resets this month, would like some clarity or others' obesrvations. While the language is clear "marketed and operated", the flight credit for AAxxxx flight operated by BA seems to have counted for me.
Sorry, it isn't clear what you're asking, but I'll take a guess.

As you've noticed, if the flight is marketed by another carrier (AA flight code), but is operated by BA, it will be an eligible flight. This is exactly what one should expect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.