Wiki Posts
Search

Which Arrivals Lounge?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2017, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Global Entry
Which Arrivals Lounge?

Family of four arriving T3 at 1020 on BA metal CW. Departing T5 (it's an ex EU) to DUB at 1315.

Kids are young teenagers.

Would like to shower and relax in an arrivals lounge between the flights.

Is there enough time to use the AA lounge in T3? Or would you recommend getting the transfer to T5 out of the way first and using BA T5 arrivals?

If the transfer issue is not pressing, which arrivals would you choose?

Is there another option I'm not aware of?!

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 3:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
You can just do the land side transfer and use the lounge air side. They also have showers.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Take the decision when you arrive just in case you land late.

Personally I'd do the airside transfer first and use one of the T5 airside lounges - no need to go landside at all.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 3:14 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Is there a particular reason you want to use an arrivals lounge? You will have access to the airside GC lounges in T5 and will be able to get a showers there. If you do this instead just take the airside T3->T5 transfer bus.

You can use the AA T3 arrivals lounge if you want. You would have to proceed through immigration at T3 and then once finished at T3 you can get either the tube (need an oyster or contactless card but no charge) or HEX (no card needed) to get across to T5. Bear in mind you must present yourself at security at T5 no later than 35 minutes before the flight.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
Is there a particular reason you want to use an arrivals lounge? You will have access to the airside GC lounges in T5 and will be able to get a showers there. If you do this instead just take the airside T3->T5 transfer bus.

You can use the AA T3 arrivals lounge if you want. You would have to proceed through immigration at T3 and then once finished at T3 you can get either the tube (need an oyster or contactless card but no charge) or HEX (no card needed) to get across to T5. Bear in mind you must present yourself at security at T5 no later than 35 minutes before the flight.
The arrivals lounge appeal is to freshen up before the Dub leg and then final leg of Ryanair to STN. Family all aware and enthusiastic about the travel arrangement but I still anticipate tiredness and a little grumpiness at this point, and so showers and lounge important to have lined up.

Would you recommend T5 Galleries over the arrivals options? The BA arrivals at T5 as I recall from a couple of years back had a nice tranquility about it, which could be useful!
Old Jul 7, 2017, 4:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Food quality and choice in AA arrivals lounge better than GC.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Dare I say... I'd really think long and hard about taking the last leg (well two in this case..) with a family of four!
Old Jul 7, 2017, 5:46 pm

Programs: Newbie BA Gold
I'll be back from HKG in CW in a couple of weeks, arriving at 0450 with a connecting flight to AMS which I might miss....would I still be able to get into Galleries or would I have to make do with Arrivals? Is there any hot food/bacon rolls in Arrivals?

Last edited by benjai; Jul 7, 2017 at 5:51 pm
Old Jul 7, 2017, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FeedbirdNiner
The arrivals lounge appeal is to freshen up before the Dub leg and then final leg of Ryanair to STN. Family all aware and enthusiastic about the travel arrangement but I still anticipate tiredness and a little grumpiness at this point, and so showers and lounge important to have lined up.

Would you recommend T5 Galleries over the arrivals options? The BA arrivals at T5 as I recall from a couple of years back had a nice tranquility about it, which could be useful!
Personally, I can't see how the additional hassles of the landside transfer are worth the slightly calmer environments of the arrivals lounges vs the airside lounges at T5.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 9:20 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Dare I say... I'd really think long and hard about taking the last leg (well two in this case..) with a family of four!
Whyever not? I've done similar before when travelling with a six year old which also included a LGW/LHR transfer. In a few weeks time we are doing an ex-EU complete with an eight and one year old. Looking forward to it, although have built in plenty of time to reduce stress around connections.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 9:27 pm

Programs: BA Silver
With hungry teenagers I'd definitely go for the arrivals lounge.

Food options at that time of day in GC are toast or cereal basically.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 1:27 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the excellent info. If we're early/on time in LHR I think we'll use AA in T3 (I'd like to experience it in any case) I'll keep a close eye on time. If we're late, we'll head straight to T5, using airside.

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
I think we'll be ok. The family are very clear about the extra legs in return for business class across the pond and it's their unanimous choice to put up with one for the other. We're doing an overnight on the way out to reduce potential stress. We also live close to STN, so getting back there ultimately is not a bad option for us.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 1:33 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by benjai
I'll be back from HKG in CW in a couple of weeks, arriving at 0450 with a connecting flight to AMS which I might miss....would I still be able to get into Galleries or would I have to make do with Arrivals? Is there any hot food/bacon rolls in Arrivals?
you would only be able to access GC by going through security (either at flight connections or from landside) with the BP for your AMS flight. If you do this and don't intend to board that flight, you'd have the hassle of having to ask to be taken back landside, which I believe happens hourly (never done it myself). In any case, the food in the T5 arrivals lounge is better han GC, the breakfast is similar to GF.

For the OP, if food is a consideration then arrivals lounges over GC anytime, assuming sufficient time. I haven't visited the AA T3 arrivals lounge since it was refurbished, but my view on the old version was that AA had better showers, BA in T5 better food (though the breakfast in the AA lounge was quite acceptable).

Not that I connect very frequently from long hauls at LHR, but when I do. I've got into the habit of going landside for a shower. This was due to previous issues with long waits for showers in the airside lounges at T5, I don't know if that situation has improved.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 2:15 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Oaxaca
you would only be able to access GC by going through security (either at flight connections or from landside) with the BP for your AMS flight. If you do this and don't intend to board that flight, you'd have the hassle of having to ask to be taken back landside, which I believe happens hourly (never done it myself). In any case, the food in the T5 arrivals lounge is better han GC, the breakfast is similar to GF.
You can exit by taking the transit to T5C and staying on. When you arrive back at T5A you will be in the arrivals UK border area. Best to advise someone if you do this so you are offloaded.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 2:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Oaxaca

For the OP, if food is a consideration then arrivals lounges over GC anytime, assuming sufficient time. I haven't visited the AA T3 arrivals lounge since it was refurbished, but my view on the old version was that AA had better showers, BA in T5 better food (though the breakfast in the AA lounge was quite acceptable).

Not that I connect very frequently from long hauls at LHR, but when I do. I've got into the habit of going landside for a shower. This was due to previous issues with long waits for showers in the airside lounges at T5, I don't know if that situation has improved.
Useful thanks. Could well be busy, mid morning with the TATL's arriving.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.