Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How is the new BA290/291 Phoenix service performing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2017, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: American, BA, United,Marriott

While I know this is not directly pertinent to this forum and if there is a better forum to ask the question, please feel free to redirect me. I am curious as to whether or not the new 3x weekly flight to Phoenix, BA 291/290, that started in early May and just ended (July 2nd) was a success or not and if would bode well for a future additional flight?
Old Jul 5, 2017, 9:39 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by 1stClassFan
While I know this is not directly pertinent to this forum and if there is a better forum to ask the question, please feel free to redirect me. I am curious as to whether or not the new 3x weekly flight to Phoenix, BA 291/290, that started in early May and just ended (July 2nd) was a success or not and if would bode well for a future additional flight?
There's another thread elsewhere, but based on a few data points it was not a success with regards to load factors. The result from what I observed was that 291 and 288 were lightly loaded and 289 and 290 were more popular, because those are the better timings for LHR-based connections. But just running those two flights would not be good from an aircraft utilization perspective.

A colleague flew on 291 where WT and WTP were about 50% full, CW about 25% and 2 passengers in F. Overall it certainly helped with capacity where flights are usually completely full everyday, and BA's prices from PHX in CW and F remain as high as I've seen them over the past 10 years. But overall I don't think it was much of a commercial success unless there was a significant increase in cargo demand.

As the PHX area population continues to expand, perhaps demand will eventually match the supply. The main issue is the cost of LHR slots and BA probably does not want to support something like a 747 and 789 into PHX due to that being more complex operationally. When the A350 eventually replaces the 747, I expect we'll see something change... either a second BA flight a few days per week or an AA flight with a 787.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dylanks
There's another thread elsewhere, but based on a few data points it was not a success with regards to load factors. The result from what I observed was that 291 and 288 were lightly loaded and 289 and 290 were more popular, because those are the better timings for LHR-based connections. But just running those two flights would not be good from an aircraft utilization perspective.

A colleague flew on 291 where WT and WTP were about 50% full, CW about 25% and 2 passengers in F. Overall it certainly helped with capacity where flights are usually completely full everyday, and BA's prices from PHX in CW and F remain as high as I've seen them over the past 10 years. But overall I don't think it was much of a commercial success unless there was a significant increase in cargo demand.

As the PHX area population continues to expand, perhaps demand will eventually match the supply. The main issue is the cost of LHR slots and BA probably does not want to support something like a 747 and 789 into PHX due to that being more complex operationally. When the A350 eventually replaces the 747, I expect we'll see something change... either a second BA flight a few days per week or an AA flight with a 787.
Thanks for the insight, much appreciated. I only have a couple of thoughts. Friend on the 290 in late May in F and said F was not close to capacity. Also said that they announced during boarding that the Flight was extremely full, of course certainly not counting F. Family travelled on June 29 on the 288 flt in WT. Tried for 4 months to get them upgraded to WTP using Avios and no seats were ever available. Dummy tickets for WTP showed a reasonable amount of bookings for what little you can tell. In any event, was great to have the 2nd flight. Wish it had done better so future considerations would have been viewed more favorably.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 11:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
I work for a company with a presence in the PHX area and have to travel out there a few times a year.

The prices to a PHX on the 289/288 are now so high that we're often being encouraged to take one-stop connections where able.

On the days that 290/291 are running, this provides enough pressure relief that the direct flights aren't exorbitantly priced, and so on my last trip I flew 291 on the way out, but back via LAX because it cut the round trip airfare by about 25%.

It's certainly a very successful route for BA.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 12:30 am

Programs: AA Plat, various hotels
I don't use the 289, preferring a one stop that gets me into PHX a couple of hours earlier, if the 290/291 were to be continued I would certainly use them, even if they were a little more expensive and with rather elderly planes on the route.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 12:42 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver
I am surprised that they put a second Jumbo on the PHX, I'd of presumed to not waste capacity it would of been a 777-200.

I dont think I will ever get my head around BA's route strategy mind.

I do think though that they will of planned for it not to necessarily be busy at the start however.
Strawb likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 1:03 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Titanium Lifetime/UA/JetBlue
Just been there. Its doing very well.
The ground staff were very hopeful that it is planned again, but next time permanently and said that the earlier timings are particularly good for European connections which amounts to 75% of the loads on most days.
Maybe not enough demand for 2 747's but a 747 and a 787/777 would work I think.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the additional insight. My personal preference is the 288/289. I have been on it numerous times and enjoy getting a full night sleep while still arriving at LHR in the very early afternoon. The 289 flight allows for plenty of lounge time! Also, I am rarely connecting. However, I have numerous friends that while most did not travel during the 290/291 window, all said they would prefer the earlier flight. For someone who lives in Phx, its funny to think that BA finds this peak season. Obviously they are referring to the UK and beyond. We hit 49 (119f) last month and we will be 46 tomorrow, the byproduct of living in the desert. Again, a bit more positive feedback but I believe load factors were being cited by dylanks which may be a bit more accurate. I also agree that if a 2nd fight does come, a 777 or 789 would be used. We will see if BA makes any announcement this fall for the upcoming W17/S18 routes.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
With good friends in PHX, the direct flight[s] are desirable ... if it wasn't for the TPs

JER-UK-DUB-PHL-PHX suits us, as leisure pax
Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:12 am

Condor has announced twice weekly 767 service between PHX and FRA for May through September next year, with significant subsidies from PHX. Not sure if this will impact BA's plans for next year.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
That 767 might struggle a bit on very hot days!
Old Jul 6, 2017, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by BA6501
That 767 might struggle a bit on very hot days!
Departure times are quite late, one day is around 11pm and the other day is around 6pm.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 7:39 pm

It's rare that anything changes at PHX, but the Club at PHX has undergone a refurb with new furniture sometime in the past two months that no longer looks like the galleries era, and for the first time that I can recall, we're boarding out of gate B23 instead of B25. I'm guessing that the 290/291 led to PHX upgrading a second gate to support a 747. Correction: the taxiway around gate B25 is under renovation. The boarding process at gate 23 has significantly more space with separate areas for priority and general boarding. I'll post some photos when I get a chance.

Last edited by dylanks; Jul 7, 2017 at 8:07 pm
Old Jul 10, 2017, 8:54 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
It's dead

In PHX now on 288. 290 diverted passengers from 288 & has been discontinued. 😥
Old Jul 11, 2017, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by remedy
In PHX now on 288. 290 diverted passengers from 288 & has been discontinued. 😥
For this year at least the 290/291 pair was only planned for approximately 2 months (early May through early July). This thread was really to assess how it was doing to see if it might be brought back again next year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.