Wiki Posts
Search

Confused Over Award Change Fees

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2017, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Confused Over Award Change Fees

I'm holding SEA-LHR-ZRH-LHR-SEA. No stopover at LHR. Frist class award using Chase 2-4-1 companion award. I may want to change the return to VCE-LHR (stopover at LHR)- SEA. If I want to change the return I understand more miles will be needed. What BA fees will be incurred since I have to call BA to do this, plus changing the return point from ZRH to VCE? All can be done in one call, but involves two of us. Not concerned about the additional Avios or taxes, just the additional BA change/phone fees.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 9:41 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
I'm not sure this would be allowed, since you're looking to change bands/zones.

If they do allow it, it'll be at least USD55.00 per person, plus any difference in taxes, fees and charges, and the offline processing fee of USD25.00pp. The offline fee would apply.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 12:24 am

How long are you planning to spend in London? If more than 24 hours you'd also incur APD.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 1:39 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Just to confirm what JAXBA noted, any award booking changes must be made to another destination within the same avios band, you can't change to a destination in different band and if you did need to do so your only option would be to cancel and rebook.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
Just to confirm what JAXBA noted, any award booking changes must be made to another destination within the same avios band, you can't change to a destination in different band and if you did need to do so your only option would be to cancel and rebook.
This is all very confusing. Is there someplace where I can read the rules about what you are saying? I guess returning from VCE is the problem. Can I book SEA-LHR-ZRH plus LHR-SEA and just get a separate ticket VCE-LHR?
Old Jun 30, 2017, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
This is all very confusing. Is there someplace where I can read the rules about what you are saying? I guess returning from VCE is the problem. Can I book SEA-LHR-ZRH plus LHR-SEA and just get a separate ticket VCE-LHR?
You could return from Milan (MXP/LIN) rather than VCE. That's in the same pricing zone as ZRH - Zone 1, which is 4,500 avios to London. VCE is in Zone 2, which is 7,500 avios to London.

As KARFA notes, the rules of avios bookings are that you cannot change your routing from one zone to another - you can only change within the same zone.

You can instead cancel the whole thing and rebook. However, you should only do this if there is still avios availability on all your desired flights, as if you cancel your existing booking it isn't guaranteed that your cancelled award seats will become available again.

The zone bandings are set out here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...l#post27691531
Old Jun 30, 2017, 7:59 am

I've changed award bands no problem - BA have just always charged the delta in Avios and taxes between the different awards.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 8:22 am

The rules are all on ba.com under executive club terms, but tbh for an understandable version I would use the stickies on here and specifically the guide Ldnn1 has linked to.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 9:05 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Dave_C
I've changed award bands no problem - BA have just always charged the delta in Avios and taxes between the different awards.
It does sometimes get done but it's not actually allowed. I don't know why it's not allowed… but the official line is same band only.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Thanks. I found the rules and indeed it says I can't make any changes that require a change in the number of Avios points. We have decided we are going to do this open jaw trip so I guess I will have to call BA in order to book this award travel. Will they waive the fee for calling since it's not something that can be booked online?
Old Jun 30, 2017, 11:15 am

Thanks. I found the rules and indeed it says I can't make any changes that require a change in the number of Avios points. We have decided we are going to do this open jaw trip so I guess I will have to call BA in order to book this award travel. Will they waive the fee for calling since it's not something that can be booked online?
I'm confused - haven't you booked it already?
Old Jun 30, 2017, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
I'm confused - haven't you booked it already?
No. We were undecided whether to return from ZRH or from VCE. I was just going to book the roundtrip to ZRH and then later change the reservation to return from VCE. But we've settled on going to ZRH and returning from VCE.
Just wondering if I have to pay the call center fee since open jaws can't be reserved online.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 12:18 pm

No. We were undecided whether to return from ZRH or from VCE. I was just going to book the roundtrip to ZRH and then later change the reservation to return from VCE. But we've settled on going to ZRH and returning from VCE.
Just wondering if I have to pay the call center fee since open jaws can't be reserved online.
Ask and it may be waived. However, the policy is that it should be paid unless it is something you should normally be able to do online but can't due to it not working.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
Ask and it may be waived. However, the policy is that it should be paid unless it is something you should normally be able to do online but can't due to it not working.
One other question. If I book the award on the phone and later need to change just the date, can I do that online or do I have to call?
Old Jun 30, 2017, 1:31 pm

One other question. If I book the award on the phone and later need to change just the date, can I do that online or do I have to call?
Try doing it online but with an open jaw I suspect MMB will refuse to comply and you'll have to call to do it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.